Re: [swflpc] Wednesday night paddles

  • oscarrattenborg@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2012
      Pat:

      Let's find some canals with lights on. Either whiskey creek from my house or Cape Coral from Horton?

      Oscar

      From: Patricia Owen <p8owen@...>
      Sender: swflpc@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 06:31:57 -0500 (EST)
      To: <swflpc@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: swflpc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [swflpc] Wednesday night paddles

      I paddle most Wednesday nights for exercise and to clear my mind.  There is nothing more peaceful than paddling at night, no visual stimulation, no boat traffic, just kayak paddle movement, splashing fish, sunsets, moon, stars.  It's easier to circumingnavigate an island or follow the land from one light source to another.  Fort Myers and Cape Coral have quite a few free spots for launching afterdark: Carl Johnson Boat Ramp, Centennial Park Boat Ramp, Horton Park Boat Ramp, Cape Coral Yacht Club Beach, Causway before Sanibel toll, Matlacha Park Kayak Launch, the park w/beach on Caloosahatchee River in North Ft Myers just over the Fort Myers bridge, Pineland, and there are quite a few local spots like the launch near Bonita Bill's.

      I will continue to paddle Wednesday nights, if anyone wants to join me just call 239-410-0167 or email me and we'll pick a convenient location.  If no one calls I'll launch closer to home (Cape Coral).

      I will not be holding the usual Southwest Florida Paddling Club meetings the 2nd Wednesday at 7pm for now.  If someone else wants to continue this activity let me know we can make arrangements for the passing of the key card.  I will plan special events for us to gather together, probably an hour before a paddling event.  topics include: kayak gear flea market, kayak repair.  I welcome other ideas.

      If you are new to paddling at night I suggest you go out with a few friends first to get your feet wet and pick a short route you already know.  The water is colder at night, the cold water makes the bottom of your kayak cold which can make your feet cold.  Neoprene booties or socks, wool or smart wool socks will help keep your feet warmer.  Definitely wear your pfd and you'll need one white light per kayak.

      Pat Owen