Tomoka paddle trips

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2012
    Sunday I found my copy of "Canoeing & Kayaking Florida, 2nd edition" which is useful for our Tomoka trip (nov8-11). I scanned and attached descriptions/maps for some trips below.  Earlier I mentioned paddling Spruce Creek (30 min south of Tomoka SP)  Guidebook says Pellicer Creek (30 min north of Tomoka SP) has better scenery, so scrap Spruce Creek.
    Listed below is outline of best trips around Tomoka SP.  Although it's possible to paddle and shuttle some of these trips I am not planning any shuttles in conjunction with these trips.
    Bulow Creek (just north of Tomoka SP)
    launch from Bulow Plantation State Historic Site
    paddle 3.5 miles upstream (north) to Graham Swamp or as far as deadfall allows
    paddle 3.5 miles back to launch
    paddle 5.5 miles downstream (or less) to Walter Boardman Lane
    paddle 5.5 miles (or less) back to launch
    Fee to enter Bulow Plantation State Historic Site
    Tomoka River
    launch from inside Tomoka State Park
    paddle down 4 miles, paddle back up 4 miles
    optional paddles on Thompson & Strictland Creeks
    Pellicer Creek and Cracker Creek (30 min north of Tomoka SP)
    guidebook says this has excellent scenery
    launch Cracker Creek (204 just west of US1)
    paddle 4 miles down Cracker Creek and up Pellicer Creek
    paddle 4 miles back to launch

    Paddle in Atlantic Ocean (if weather/wind is mild)
    launch boat ramp Kay & Ayres Davies Lighthouse Park
    4931 South Peninsula Drive, Ponce Inlet
    This boat ramp may be busy on weekends.

    The sun rises at 6:40am
    The sun sets at 5:40pm
    Here's one possible ambitious schedule:
    Arrive Thursday, put up tent,
    if wind/weather is mild launch Ponce Inlet boat ramp
    have dinner at Boondocks just up the street

    Friday morning paddle Pellicer/Cracker Creek, have lunch
    Friday afternoon paddle upper Bulow Creek and back
    Friday evening pot luck at Tomoka SP

    Saturday paddle Tomoka River and creeks
    Saturday dinner TBA

    As always, I welcome comments.