Re: [swflpc] Rescue stirrup

  • Oscar Rattenborg
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
      Oscar Rattenborg is making tow belts. One wersion is open water @ 35 ft and one is for tamer water @ 25 ft. Both have quick release buckles and really work well.OSCAR
      239-220-9052

      On Thu Jun 30th, 2011 6:51 PM EDT drowland2006 wrote:

      >Great Idea pat.  I got a strap.  So many people push out on the strap instead of stepping on, just like getting into saddle, you step down on it. Electa and I learned that lesson from Jay, when were  we taking rescue lessons from him.

    • Oscar Rattenborg
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
        The best is to stabalize the rescu w/ a righr side up kayak and to do quick assisted entery. The boat pumping is secondary

        Oscar

        On Thu Jun 30th, 2011 6:37 PM EDT Phares Heindl wrote:

        >I’m not convinced a stirrup would have made any difference in the situation represented by Jay’s video. One thing that was needed was more tow belts. Do you have any good tow belts at the shop? I need one.

      • Naples Kayak Company
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
          The best thing to do was Sam and I out of where we were. Getting someone back into the boat doing a quick side reentry is only going to be beneficial if the person is familiar with the rescue and confident enough to paddle a swamped boat out of the waves. Even though it didn't look it, the waves were big enough and steep enough to knock you over and if I had gotten Sam back in his boat right away he would have gone right back over. Because of the way the waves were formed (current moving quickly against an opposing wind) we could not get out of the surf zone just by riding them out. It was almost like standing waves. If I had been wearing my tow belt I could have clipped on to Sam's boat and towed him outside of the surf zone a mere 50 ft away and then done any number of rescues to get him back in the boat. After all the swimming Sam had done, this is when the stirrup would have been useful.

          Had this same thing gone on with a younger more agile paddler with their pfd zipped up correctly and fitted right I may have been able to get them back in inside the surf zone and be comfortable with them paddling off with a swamped boat. This would not have been a situation where somebody could pump out their cockpit fast enough before the next wave broke over us and filled it up again.

          All in all a good learning experience. Certainly will go about things differently next time......

          Thanks,

          --
          Jay Rose, Director of Operations
          www.napleskayakcompany.com

        • drowland2006
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2011
            All I got to say, is we all learned from this.  That camera was a real benefit.  I hope Sam is not embarrassed by all of us talking about this.  Thanks Sam for the wonderful demonstration.  You were a real trouper.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2011
              I must have missed it. Where can I veiw Jay's videos, "kayak reentry in even relatively mild conditions"?

              Thanks.

              Gene Rossano

              --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, Naples Kayak Company <napleskayak@...> wrote:

              > Thank you to all who participated in Kerplunk day last Sunday. This is a
              > free event that is designed to raise the overall level of skill and safety
              > for all SW Florida paddlers.
              >
              > I could not help but notice that many folks are missing key pieces of safety
              > and rescue equipment. One of the main items that a lot of people are missing
              > is a rescue stirrup.
              >

              > Even though I can do several rolls and all other rescues proficiently, I
              > always have a stirrup in case I get injured or need to help someone else get
              > back in their boat who is tired, injured or just does not have the upper
              > body strength to get back in. As you saw from Jay's videos, kayak reentry in
              > even relatively mild conditions can quickly become exhausting.
              >
              > We have in the shop the North Water Sea Tec rescue stirrup. This is 29.95
              > and I would like to offer this item to both clubs for 20.00. Again, this is
              > just to get them in the hands of people who need them. It should be kept
              > accessible and clipped in your PFD or boat. Just mention that you area club
              > member when you come in the shop if we haven't met you already. If there is
              > lot of interest from Ft Myers maybe someone could take some up there for the
              > next meeting. You can also MAKE a stirrup using webbing but it really should
              > be made correctly and pre adjusted for you to be able to get back in.
              >

              > Thanks
              >

              > Chris
              > Naples Kayak Company
              >

              > --
              > *www.napleskayakcompany.com
              > Official Leave No Trace Partner
              > (239) - 262-6149

              > Retail Store - 11369 E. Tamiami Trail, Naples, Florida
              > Private Beach - The Capri Fish House, Isle of Capri
              > Gordon River - The Conservancy of Southwest Florida
              > Everglades - Glades Haven Marina, Everglades City
              > Venetian Bay - Park Shore Marina at The Village on Venetian Bay
              > Bayfront Inn - 1221 5th Ave South, Naples, Florida*

            • gus_manchu
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 3, 2011
                You can view it at my blog in the Rescue Day post.

                http://youngmanofthesea.blogspot.com/

                Thanks,

                --
                Jay Rose, Director of Operations