Re: [swflpc] gps

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2011
      The "S" stands for "sensors" and the "S" model(s) comes with a magnetic compass and a barometer. I liked our 76S which was not color for being easy to read in the sunlight.

      On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Pat Owen <p8owen@...> wrote:

      I see West Marine is having a special on Garmin 76 CX.  What's the difference between 76 CX and 76 CSX?
      Pat

      --
      http://parkswhistles.com/
      http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2011

        Mine came with the SD card.  I bought from the Garmin outlet store.

        Jeanette

        Bob Farley has the 76CX that he has had 5 years.  I can't see any difference.  I have the 76csx.  he gets the tides. his screen is just as big as mine.  all the sd cards are the same.  I think that one would be just as good.  Joseph Taboada know the difference. Just remember you either have to pay and download maps or buy the SD card that goes inside it.  It comes with a blank sd card. the sd card has come down in price.  I think at Garmin. com.  it is only $99. now.

        I see West Marine is having a special on Garmin 76 CX.  What's the difference between 76 CX and 76 CSX?
        Pat

        --
        Deborah Rowland
        239-732-1344

      • Chekika
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2011
          I agree with Carey that "s" stands for sensors: altitude & digital compass(which you don't need, since your gps gives you a heading). If I understand him, he said he liked the gray-scale screen for easy viewing. Boy, that is not my experience. Color is grrreat! Indispensible for viewing.

          Keith

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2011
            Hi Keith,

            Yeah, I did not mean B&W is always a better solution. I was comparing B&W and color some years ago, and my priority was with the GPS in place in front of the cockpit. Technology marches on, and priorities differ. I meant to point out that one should not discount B&W screens depending on application. Color does help identify things on the screen provided there is enough contrast to make it readable. Bright sunlight is a different game than store lighting. Ask the sales associate if you can take a couple units out into the sunlight for comparison.

            Other electronics meant to be used in bright sunlight - fish finders for example - still come in B&W models. To get a Garmin 76 in B&W one would have to go to eBay.

            Take care,

            Carey

            On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Chekika <kwellma@...> wrote:

            I agree with Carey that "s" stands for sensors: altitude & digital compass(which you done need, since your gps gives you a heading). If I understand him he said he liked the gray-scale screen for easy viewing. Boy, that is not my experience. Color is grrreat! Indispensible for viewing.

            Keith

            --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, Carey Parks <Carey@...> wrote:

            > The "S" stands for "sensors" and the "S" model(s) comes with a magnetic
            > compass and a barometer. I liked our 76S which was not color for being easy
            > to read in the sunlight.
            >

            > On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Pat Owen <p8owen@...> wrote:
            >

            > > I see West Marine is having a special on Garmin 76 CX. What's the
            > > difference between 76 CX and 76 CSX?
            > > Pat
            > >

            > --
            > http://parkswhistles.com/
            > http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks
            > http://twitter.com/LuthierCarey

            --
            http://parkswhistles.com/
            http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks
            http://twitter.com/LuthierCarey
          • drowland2006
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 14, 2011

              They all come with an empty sd card.  Is the card a Blue Water 2.    You can download onto that card, but maybe you bought the card to.  How does the charts look.  details.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 14, 2011

                Deborah,  I bought a topo map. i'm sure the Blue Water maps are great, but i find the topo more useful when paddling inland or along the coast.  It's very detailed re the coastline and islands.  Doesn't have all the Marine depths and so forth, but it gets me where i want to go.  Shows all the canals in CC, for instance.  Got me to Thirsting Lake (which is difficult).  Topo U.S. 24K (Southeast--LA, MS AL GA, FL).  Plus it has streets and cities, parks, camping areas, restaruants etc.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 14, 2011

                  Great next time I see you I want to look at your chart, because Bob zini told me to get something different about topo but I never can remember when I get home to find out what he is talking about.  You will love this gps I can't get anywhere with out mine.  Good paddling.

[...]

                  239-732-1344 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting            239-732-1344      end_of_the_skype_highlighting