RE: [pcpcnaples] third sunday paddles and rescue and rolling practice - iiformal survey

  • Phares Heindl
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 10:00 AM

      Mike,

       Thank you – you have always been a champion of safe and skilled paddling.  My proposal is simple.  It seems that third Sunday typically gets broken up into different paddling groups.   Some paddle mangroves, some to the beach through Devlin pass others take off and go longer.

      My proposal and suggestion is simple.  A group be formed to use third Sunday primarily to practice or learn basic self rescue, bracing, rolling in all water conditions and simulate rough water conditions.  The Falcon Sea Kayaking Guide to Sea Kayak Rescue says recommends regular practice in all types of conditions until it is a matter of muscle memory.

      “ During your first year of paddling, practice recoveries near religiously every time you go out until they become second nature, even boring. Play close attention to the details, transitions, and balance points. Then work on variations and continue to practice regularly.  Practice is the only way to discover which recoveries will(or wont) work for you in rough water, and to keep your sills sharp.”

        Quote from Sea Kayaking Rescue, Roger Schumann and Jan Shriner Second Edition published by Falcone Press.

      I have received some nice response to the idea and there are even people that may come to Third Sunday just to be  a part of such a group or to help coach others.   Private groups of paddlers tend to spring off from club events and practice, paddle, or camp together.  This is fine and well, but to have a venue were safety skills can developed seems to be an important addition to this event and to the paddling clubs.

      Clearly there are lots of paddlers in the club that could coach others and practice as well.

      I paddled for years on a river and though I did practice the two kayak rescue, since I was always so close to shore I never learned the paddle float, cowboy or how to roll.

       Others in the group that have learned these  techniques may not have the opportunity to  practice  or may have never practice in rough or simulated rough water conditions.

      Mike,  In any event may I ask the group to respond to the following survey questions?

         Do you attend third Sunday paddle regularly?

        Have you ever  attended third Sunday paddle?

         If third Sunday paddle included a group to practice and/or learn bracing, self rescue, T rescue, rolling or other safety skills would you participate.

        What experience do you have in performing rescue type of kayak maneuvers?

      Would you be willing to lead or coach a practice group regularly or periodically?

       If you don’t typically attend Third Sunday Paddle would the opportunity for regular practice and rescue skills development motivate you to regularly attend the event?

      If you would not attend an ad hoc volunteer group on third Sunday, if  a professional coach was hired (paid by a business or other sponsor) to lead a practice group/training group would you  then want to be a regular

      Participate?

      Please email me your answers at pmheindl@...