Re: Solar chargers and info on multiweek trip

  • Naples Kayak Company
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
      Rege what kind of solar still did you get or did you make one?

      Chris

      --
      Chris Boland, El Presidente
      Level 3 ACA Kayak Instructor

      Naples Kayak Company
      - Official Leave No Trace Partner -
      www.napleskayakcompany.com

      Retail Store - 11369 E. Tamiami Trail, Naples, Florida
      Private Beach - The Capri Fish House, Isle of Capri
      Gordon River - The Conservancy of Southwest Florida
      Everglades - Glades Haven Marina, Everglades City
      Venetian Bay - Park Shore Marina at The Village on Venetian Bay
      Bayfront Inn - 1221 5th Ave South, Naples, Florida

    • Regis Good
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
        Chris,
        There are many good links on the web on the subject. A simple low cost option is dig a conical hole in the sand, line it with plastic sheet. Gather and pour some sea water on the plastic. Set empty pan in the middle. Put another layer of plastic(clear) over the hole leaving slack in it. Secure the perimeter with sand. Place a small weight(seashell or rock) in the center of slack top plastic cover(centered over pot below) The suns heat will cause evaportion that will condense on the underside of top plastic and the slope created by weight in the center of top cover will direct condensated water into the pot(desalinated)! I'm not sure if required but for safety reasons I'd probably still pump it through a purifier or at least boil it to be safe. How much you actually collect in this manner is yet to be seen.

        Mike Shaw told me about this but I've still got to try it. De-salinators are expensive and I've got Dromedary bags to hold a weeks worth of water so I should be able to get potable water. I'm planning on being here in Florida and I think the longest stretch I'd have to worry about is if I do the Wilderness Waterway. I also have some rain collectors for my Hennessy Hammock that attaches to your rain fly. Two litre bottles or the Patypus collapsible bottles should thread on to these if I encounter rain to collect fresh water.
        There is also a method of gathering fresh water from plants by tying a clear plastic bag around a branch of leaves and due to transpiration(water given off) of the plant it will gather inside the bag. However I think you'd want to be careful your not doing this on a toxic plant and mangroves that secrete salt on the underside of their leaves may not be best idea.
        Rege

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hi Regis
           One of those ETON radios that have a crank charger and a solar charger plus batteries are supposed to be able to charge a cell phone too. They are available at Radio Shack. Also they are a led flashlight
          ,weather radio,AM&FM,clock and other stuff.

          From: Regis Good <yakandsnorkel2@...>
          Subject: [swflpc] Solar chargers and info on multiweek trip
          To: "SWFLPC" <swflpc@yahoogroups.com>, "Paradise Coast Paddling club" <pcpcnaples@yahoogroups.com>
          Cc: "Mangrove Navy" <MangroveNavy@yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 11:10 PM

          Hi Everyone,
          Hope to pick some brains out there. In the near future I'm hoping on doing a "kayak walkabout". There are a couple of things I can use some input on:
          1. A solar charger for keeping cell phone and rechargeable batteries fresh and possibly to recharge laptop computer(if feasible).
          2. I think I've got things figured out for a week long trip but not sure if there is anything special I'd need for a multiweek trip. I've got a water purifier for fresh water and need to practice making and using a solar still for saltwater. Carey Parks is going to assist me in picking out some foods good for freezer bag meals and with some luck I'll catch some fresh fish!
          Thanks,
          Rege
        • Donovan Garcia
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
            Hi Regis,

            This is what I use and work great if you have the room.

            I purchased a solar pannel from Harbor Freight with the cigarette plug on the end to help keep your car battery charged it is a 12 volt output and cost about $29.

            I also purchased a 12 volt alarm pannel battery or use the batteries for deer feeders found at outdoor stores 12 volt 8 amp/hour about $ 18.
            The battery can be connected to a female cigarette plug and provide 12 volts for what ever you need. Use adapters like carphone chargers.

            I use the solar pannel to recharge the Battery and the 12 volt battery supplies power to my electronics. I can keep the battery on charge all day while paddling and use the battery at night to run and charge my computer or what ever adapters that I use with my car.

            Donovan

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
              Donovan,
              Thanks, very nice of you sharing info! Never thought of checking Harbor Freight. And I think they make the"AA" battery chargers that work off 120V or 12VDC. Does the solar panel seem to be holding up OK exposed to salt spray while you're paddling?
              Rege

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
                Thanks Patrick,
                Good multiuse item but I don't think it will have as much oomph as I'm looking for though. Good idea though and thanks for sharing.
                Rege

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
                  I really never used it in salt water but I think if you put it in a clear (dry bag) it will keep it sealed and away from the salt and still let the sun in.

                  I use it to recharge my cell phone, marine handheld radio, AA batteries, and my computer.
                   I always buy cheap junk because I either destroy it or loose it on trips.

                  Brunton Makes great foldable solar panels but the cost is $ 200 plus.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
                    Thanks again! I think I'll give it a try. I believe in buying the best gear you can but sometimes I buy cheap junk cause, at the time I need it I can't afford the good stuff. I've got a 12V 7AH battery from an alarm, and hope I have a pelican case that will protect the other equipment. Should get off rather cheap.
                    I saw the Brunton on line for about $300 and that's just the panel! You helped alot!

                    Rege