Re: [swflpc] Bunche Beach query

  • darby doerzbacher
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2010
      Pat, I dropped a boat in the water there for sea trials, did not seem to find any problems with the launch site, but I was in a kind of a hurry. Plenty of directions to go from there depending on the tides and wind. Darby

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2010
        Ben Desmond and I were down there today for the Ocean Conservancy Coastal Cleanup.  I wish all the launch sites were like this. Free parking, restrooms, carpeted ramp, and if weather got nasty it's sheltered (inland).
        There was mention of a board and steep drop off at end of ramp but that must have been at an extreme low tide.

        Rege

        Most of you should know Lee county parks & Rec opened the new Bunche Beach kayak launch a couple months ago, there are two launches, two platforms, a eco-green toilet, and more than 40 parking spaces.  Has anyone launched from there yet?

        We'll plan a group trip at the new launch when the weather cools down and everyone is back in town.

        Pat Owen

      • Chris Kaelin
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2010
          Definitely be careful at lower tides.  I capsized getting into the boat, and I NEVER do that...... and it wasn't an extreme low tide, only about half way........ Good thing we're not up north with cold water, LOL!
          Chris

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2010
            Yesterday was unusual, low tide was over 1 ft everywhere (a high low tide) so launching and landing would have been easy.  I think Chris is right, everyone should be careful at lower water levels, the drop-off challenges your launching and landing skills.  I returned from a trip, entered the ramp head on, the front part of my kayak was firmly on the carpet but the back end was suspended in deep water.  Lucky for me someone else was there to pull me up.   I see a need for ski poles to help launch and land....  Pat

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 20, 2010
              So it's like a floating dock at low tide?

              Rege

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 20, 2010
                No, more like a steep slope into 3 or 4 ft of water, 2 ft offshore........