Re: [swflpc] Circumnavigate Gasparilla Island

  • Sam Furman
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 12, 2010
      Pat please add my name to the group Circumnavigate Gasparilla Island
      Sam

      From: R Langbauer <harder11@embarqmail .com>
      To: swflpc@yahoogroups. com
      Cc: "josephtaboada" <josephtaboada@ gmail.com>
      Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 12:13 AM

      Yes, ---

      We request Saturday the 21!   If it is Saturday, Joseph can attend!

      And we request an earlier start than last year so that we are less likely to be caught in bad weather.

      BOB LANGBAUER
      BARBARA LANGBAUER
      JOSEPH TABOADA

      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 12, 2010
        Hey. As far as the launch, site and time - best directions from naples please.

        From: Sam Furman <shfurman2000@...>
        Sender: swflpc@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 04:43:26 -0700 (PDT)
        To: <swflpc@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: swflpc@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 12, 2010
          The launch at 19th St on the east side of Gasparilla will accommodate at least 20 cars. As Pat noted, it is little more than a vacant lot at the end of a sandy road without any facilities but an easy, wind protected access to the water.

          As most of you know, Boca Grande Pass deserves a great deal of respect from kayakers of all skill levels regardless of even apparently benign conditions and can be an especially nasty piece of work if the wind is opposing the considerable tidal flow.

          Since tidal flow and wind are so critical to the direction the island will be paddled and the order the passes should be done its good to have some other launch points in your bag of tricks

          There's a Charlotte County boat ramp at the northern tip of Gasparilla a little before the toll booth. Parking is predominately for trailers but kayakers can double up and there's an hourly charge. This is a popular launch for fishermen and is first come first served so availability is unpredictable.

          Launching at Grande Tours in Placida would add about 4 miles total but is a very pleasant shady takeout after a long day in the sun. Parking is $6.

          And of course, Gasparilla Island State Park at the southern tip of the island with its $3 parking fee, bathrooms, bit of carry over the beach to the water and the the real disadvantage of putting Boca Grande Pass in play twice.

          Bob Manz

          --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, Sam Furman <shfurman2000@...> wrote:

          > Pat please add my name to the group Circumnavigate Gasparilla Island
          > Sam
          >

          > ________________________________

        • R Langbauer
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 12, 2010

            Thanks Bob,

            I appreciate your words and experience. Having the other launch options in my back-pocket or glove compartment is important and I see your logic for using this site. I will try to arrive a little early to find it and hope to be on the water by 8am. Last year was a hoot and gave us something to think about.

            BOB LANGBAUER

            The launch at 19th St on the east side of Gasparilla will accommodate at least 20 cars. As Pat noted, it is little more than a vacant lot at the end of a sandy road without any facilities but an easy, wind protected access to the water.

            As most of you know, Boca Grande Pass deserves a great deal of respect from kayakers of all skill levels regardless of even apparently benign conditions and can be an especially nasty piece of work if the wind is opposing the considerable tidal flow.

            Since tidal flow and wind are so critical to the direction the island will be paddled and the order the passes should be done its good to have some other launch points in your bag of tricks

            There's a Charlotte County boat ramp at the northern tip of Gasparilla a little before the toll booth. Parking is predominately for trailers but kayakers can double up and there's an hourly charge. This is a popular launch for fishermen and is first come first served so availability is unpredictable.

            Launching at Grande Tours in Placida would add about 4 miles total but is a very pleasant shady takeout after a long day in the sun. Parking is $6.

            And of course, Gasparilla Island State Park at the southern tip of the island with its $3 parking fee, bathrooms, bit of carry over the beach to the water and the the real disadvantage of putting Boca Grande Pass in play twice.

            Bob Manz

            --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, Sam Furman <shfurman2000@...> wrote:

            > Pat please add my name to the group Circumnavigate Gasparilla Island
            > Sam
            >

            > ________________________________

          • outdoorgirljj
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 14, 2010
              I'd like to go on Saturday, too.
              Julie

              --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, Pat Owen <p8owen@...> wrote:

              > I agree.  What time do you want to start on Saturday?
              >
              > PatO
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 17, 2010
                DIRECTIONS FROM NAPLES TO GASPARILLA LAUNCH:

                Naples Kayakers have been asking for directions. Here are google map directions from Naples. The starting point is Physician Regional at Pine Ridge and 75. As you arrive note that you have to turn on 18th St. E and u-turn to get to 19th St. E.

                Driving directions to 1966 19th St E, Boca Grande, FL 33921
                88.7 mi – about 1 hour 50 mins

                FROM:
                Physicians Regional Med Group
                6101 Pine Ridge RdNaples, FL 34119-3900

                1. Head west on Pine Ridge Rd 0.1 mi
                2. Take the ramp to Tampa 0.5 mi
                3. Merge onto I-75 N 56.0 mi
                4. Take exit 164 for US-17 S toward Punta Gorda 0.4 mi
                5. Turn left at FL-35 S/US-17 S/Duncan Rd
                Continue to follow FL-35 S/US-17 S 2.3 mi
                6. Turn right at FL-45 N/US-41 N/S Tamiami Trail 8.0 mi
                7. Turn left at FL-776/Co Rd 771/El Jobean Rd
                Continue to follow FL-776 8.2 mi
                8. Turn left at Sailor's Way 82 ft
                9. Continue onto Route 771 4.2 mi
                10. Continue onto Gasparilla Rd/Winborough Dr
                Continue to follow Gasparilla Rd 3.8 mi
                11. Turn left at Boca Grande Causeway 5.2 mi
                12. Turn left at 18th St 115 ft
                13. Turn left at E Railroad Ave 305 ft
                14. Take the 1st right onto 19th St E

                Destination will be on the left 338 ft

                --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, R Langbauer <harder11@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Bob,
                >

                > I appreciate your words and experience. Having the other launch options in my back- pocket or glove compartment is important and I see your logic for using this site. I will try to arrive a little early to find it and hope  to be on the water by 8am. Last year was a hoot and gave us something to think about.
                >

                > BOB LANGBAUER

              • Robert
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 17, 2010
                  Disclaimier: Note this is an openwater paddle. Know your abilities. As Bob notes below, wind and current can kickup some waves.

                  BOB LANGBAUER

                  --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "ogunquit98" <ogunquit98@...> wrote:

                  > The launch at 19th St on the east side of Gasparilla will accommodate at least 20 cars. As Pat noted, it is little more than a vacant lot at the end of a sandy road without any facilities but an easy, wind protected access to the water.
                  >
                  > As most of you know, Boca Grande Pass deserves a great deal of respect from kayakers of all skill levels regardless of even apparently benign conditions and can be an especially nasty piece of work if the wind is opposing the considerable tidal flow.
                  >
                  > Since tidal flow and wind are so critical to the direction the island will be paddled and the order the passes should be done its good to have some other launch points in your bag of tricks
                  >
                  > There's a Charlotte County boat ramp at the northern tip of Gasparilla a little before the toll booth. Parking is predominately for trailers but kayakers can double up and there's an hourly charge. This is a popular launch for fishermen and is first come first served so availability is unpredictable.
                  >
                  > Launching at Grande Tours in Placida would add about 4 miles total but is a very pleasant shady takeout after a long day in the sun. Parking is $6.
                  >
                  > And of course, Gasparilla Island State Park at the southern tip of the island with its $3 parking fee, bathrooms, bit of carry over the beach to the water and the the real disadvantage of putting Boca Grande Pass in play twice.
                  >
                  > Bob Manz
                  >

                  > --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, Sam Furman <shfurman2000@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Pat please add my name to the group Circumnavigate Gasparilla Island
                  > > Sam
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • David and Jerrie
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 17, 2010
                    Hi Pat, I will be attending the trip for Sat 8-21-10
                    Planning to put in on 19th St @ 8:00. I've talked to
                    a few paddlers and don't seem to know much about it.

                    I'm willing to have them contact me for more details
                    and directions if you like.. We already have a few
                    going..

                    If anyone is interested please contact me so I can
                    get a head count...

                    Thanks,
                    Dave Whitford
                    239-455-3888 or 239-250-4445
                  • gknight44
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 18, 2010
                      I am planning on attending. I also left Dave Whitford a message.
                      George knight