Fwd: FPTA May 1st Picnic Paddle

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2010

      From: Esther Luft [mailto:emluft@...]
      Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 11:59 PM
      To: 'Monica Woll '; Macphee, Nancy
      Subject: May 1st Picnic Paddle

      Hi all,

      Below is the updated event info.  See you on Saturday.

      Come out to Oleta River State Park and join members from several other clubs in Miami-Dade, Broward, Collier, Monroe and other parts of Florida for a day of paddling and water fun.
      This event is being held for the benefit of Florida Paddling Trails Association. Your minimum $8 donation (donate more if you can, please!) will go far to promote paddling opportunities throughout the State of Florida.
      No, you do not have to be there at 7:45 am to join in. Come early though. Several paddles and events will up quickly.
      About FPTA:
      The Florida Paddling Trails Association (FPTA) was formed in October 2007 under the guidance of the Department of Environmental Protection, Office of Greenways & Trails to be the steward for all Florida's water trails, including the Circumnavigation Saltwater Paddling Trail.
      FPTA is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization. The FPTA is a state-wide community of paddlers, clubs, outfitters and other water trail supporters which has a common purpose of "connecting paddlers to water trails". Our goal is to knit the paddle community together. You might say that we are a Sierra Club for water trails.
      The major missions of the FPTA are:
      • Develop water trails
      • Protect the environment along the trails
      • Boost local communities
      • Use water trails to help the communities along water trails.
      • Build the paddling community.

      The Plan:
      We will launch from the second boat launch inside the park. When you drive past the Blue Moon Outdoor Center, look for the FPTA sign on your right. Drop off your boat and park. At least two level of paddles will be offered, a beginners paddle inside the park and a more experienced paddle to Greynolds Park and/or the island of Biscayne Bay. With sufficient interest, and weather permitting, an advanced paddle out Haulover Cut will also be offered.
      Schedule of Events
      8:00 am to event closing:
      • Guests arrive and register for paddles and events (see schedule below). Register early, some events have a participant limit. Look for the FPTA signs and banners.
      • Scavenger Hunt Registration. Spend an hour or all morning. The winners will be announced after lunch.
      • Make your donation for a 50/50 Raffle. That's where you buy a raffle ticket and if your number is pulled, you get half of all the ticket money and FPTA gets the rest of the donations. Each dollar you donate gets you one ticket. You MUST be present to win. If a ticket is called and not claimed, it will be returned to the container for future drawings. If you do not have a winning ticket, don't throw it away. We will have other giveaways as the day progresses.
      • Guests register for morning paddles. You don't have your own boat? No worries. Miles and Kathy are bringing some boats out to the bring.
      Paddling Schedule -- Morning paddles for kayakers of all types.
      • 8:30 am - Greynolds Park - SK2/SK3 - Perfect to the more experienced beginner and intermediate paddlers - Distance 11 miles, mostly protected waters.
      • 9:00 am, 10:00 am and 11:00 am - Oleta Mangrove Tunnels - Introductory Paddle - SK1 - Under 2 miles - This paddle is geared toward first time paddlers interested in joining the sport.
      • 9:00 am & 10:30 am - Oleta Mangrove Tunnels and Sandspur Island Paddle - SK1/SK2 - Excellent for a leisurely paddle and for stronger first time paddlers - Distance is about 2.5 miles
      • 9:30 am - Haulover Inlet -SK4/SK5 - For the experienced paddler. Expect strong current and conditions as you shoot out the cut. Deck skirt or thigh strap for SOT. Good bracing skill recommended. Very exciting ride at times.
      12 noon - 1:30 pm Lunch Time Picnic
      Bring your lunch, something to share, your favorite beverage or enjoy one of our hot dogs or chili dogs and a cold drink. Your $1 per item donation gets you a drink, a hot dog, or a chili dog.
      We will bring ice to cool your beverages and charcoal to share the fire. No donation requested here : )
      1:00 pm to Whenever
      Join us for our afternoon events and more giveaways.
      • 21st Century Kayaks will present their skin on frame boats. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a boat or interested in boat building. I paddled one of their boats and loved it. They are light, maneuverable and rugged. I want one for myself.
      • Join Kayak Jeff for a Paddling Tuning Session. Jeff will help you with your rolling skills. Excellent primer for anyone interested in learning how to roll their boats. It takes quite a bit of practice to get this right. With Jeff's excellent help, you should be able to roll after a class or two. Keep an eye out for future rolling classes too. (Group size will be limited, so register early.)  We will be raffling a Rolling Class and a
      • Wayne has offered to run a session covering recovery skills. Come and learn the proper way to re-enter your boat after a capsize; or if you decide to go for an intentional swim, after all, summer is almost here. Learn how to help other re-enter their boats after a capsize too. (Group size will be limited, so register early.)
      • Closing the day is our Anything That Floats But A Boat Race. You will paddle to and from a set point. You must use your paddle but you cannot use a boat of any type. You can float on a beach mattress, inflatable seahorse, floats of all types. Uh, sorry, no paddle boards, unless you do it blindfolded. All participants MUST wear their PFDs. If you choose to race wearing only your PFD, you must wear two of them. Sorry, unfair advantages are not allowed.
      Special thanks to our sponsors. We have prizes from Steve Smith at SolarCape, Colleen at Blue Moon Outdoor Center and from Frank and Monica Woll from Florida Bay Outfitters. We have gift certificates, and prizes to award throughout the day.
      Now remember, it is a fundraiser for FPTA, so dig as deep as you feel comfortable digging. If your situation does not allow, please don't stay away, come anyway. It is FPTA's mission to promote paddling and this event is just one way for us to accomplish that goal.
      Every dollar you donate will go far to help establish new kayak launch sites, develop new campsites and support paddling and the environment in our area. Keep and eye out for the Paddler Environmental Toolkit Training coming this summer from FPTA. Credit card donations can be made directly to FPTA at http://www.floridapad....
      More details and a more formal schedule will be provided as we get closer to the event. Formal? Is that a kayaking term? This is a great opportunity to mix, mingle and support a great organization dedicate to the paddling community.
      We hope to see you and your friends at the park.