Volunteer Kayakers & Boaters Needed for CHNEP Shoreline Survey Update 2010

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 19, 2010
    Calling  All  Boaters & Kayakers in
    Charlotte & Lee Counties
    Looking for a Reason to be on the Water?

    Who?  Small groups of volunteers from boating, kayaking,
    neighborhood  & environmental organizations.

    What? Help map the plants & structures along our estuary shores.

    How?  Teams of boaters & kayakers survey specific shorelines in
    Charlotte & Lee Counties & gather information about types of
    plants, such as mangroves & structures , such as seawalls.

    Why? To restore & protect the natural beauty, habitats & organisms.

    What Do You Get?Training, maps, instructions, pictures, datasheets,
    camaraderie & an excuse to be out enjoying our beautiful estuaries

    When? February –April, 2010  on your own schedule 1/2 day trips

    What Do You Need?Team members & leader, shallow draft boat or
    kayaks for each group of 2-4 people, 1 GPS per boat or kayak.

    The Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program
    needs your help with the Shoreline Survey Update 2010
    To Help Monitor & Protect our Estuaries

    How Do You Get Started?Attend 1 Volunteer Orientation Session
    Saturday from 8:30 am –12:00 noon at
    January 23, 2010 in Port Charlotte at Bayshore Live Oak Park OR
    Jan. 30 , 2010 in Matlacha at Matlacha Park

    Who Do You Call? Judy Ott at the Charlotte Harbor National Estuary
    Program at jott@... or (239) 338-2556 Ext. 230.

    Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2010
      Pat,

      I emailed Judy that I'd be glad to help but I work Saturdays and can't attend orientation.

      Rege

      Program at jott@swfrpc. org or (239) 338-2556 Ext. 230.

      The CHNEP is beginning its Shoreline Survey Update 2010 with Kick Off Meetings on January 23 in Port Charlotte and January 30 in Matlacha.  Similar to the Shoreline Survey 2007, volunteer boaters and kayakers are needed to help observe the estuary shorelines throughout Charlotte & Lee Counties and record the condition of the vegetation and manmade structures.

      Please see the attached flyer for more information and please distribute this message to groups you think will be interested.

      Thanks & hope to see you on the Water!

      Judy Ott
      Program Scientist
      Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program
      1926 Victoria Ave.
      Fort Myers, FL 33901
      Phone (239) 338-2556 Ext 230
      Suncom748-2556
      Fax (239) 338-2560
      Working together to protect the natural environment from Venice to Bonita Springs to Winter Haven

      Message 3 of 6 , Jan 20, 2010
        Rege,
        That's probably OK the instructions are fairly simple, you survey a particular area on the water and write down the features of each lot. The survey is best done in pairs so maybe you can pair up with someone.

        Message 4 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010
        Rege,
         How about pairing up with me? I have attached info I received from Judy Ott.  Also I'm going to survey meeting this Sat. I know you work Saturdays and can't make the meeting so let me know your email and I will pass what info I get to you.
        Anyone else interested in this project please contact me at w_nilsen@...

        To: swflpc@yahoogroups.com
        From: p8owen@...
        Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 06:02:37 -0500

        Message 5 of 6 , Jan 25, 2010
          Hi Bill,
          Sounds good, I'd like to team up with you!
          Here's contact info:

          yakandsnorkel2@...
          Home # 239-772-8414
          cell # 239-443-8136