Back from vacation...

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14, 2009
      Hi paddlers,

      Sorry to have missed Ken's fantastic rescue but am glad Ken has recovered and his boat can be repaired.  They always say it's better to travel by kayak in three's.  If someone needs help the other two can help with the rescue, or is it one can help with the rescue and the 3rd one can video the event?

      Dave Whitford should have a good trip to Fisheating Creek this Saturday, there's plenty of water.  I'll be in Miami Fri & Sat so I can't go but might plan a Sunday Fisheating Creek trip later in August.

      I see Blind Pass (Sanibel) isn't open yet, maybe we can paddle through there in next 2 weeks.

      Reminder:  August 12th meeting will be at Ruth & Carey's house (Cape Coral) starting 6pm.  This will be a wet exit/rescue practice in the pool and canal.  Maybe we should demonstrate how to repair a leaky boat on water.  Bring food.  directions later.

      I'm still planning to paddle Hillsborough River labor day weekend.

      It's HOT, anyone paddling should paddle in the shade or paddle early or late, stay covered up, stay hydrated.

      Pat Owen

    • jeanette chupack
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14, 2009
        Hi Pa!

        Welcome back.  Hope you had a great trip.

        Steve and I would like to go to Hillsboro River whenever.  sign us up.  Have you got great reservations,  or should we get our own??

        Jeanette

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14, 2009
          Pat,

          Welcome home!  Hope you had a great adventure!

          Rege

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2009
            Jeanette,
            Everyone should get their own reservations.  One way to find hotels near HRSP is Yahoo Yellow Pages, change location to zip 33592, choose hotels, when list of hotels pops up click the distance tab (to bypass sponsored links, etc).  The closest hotels are the 1st 8 on the list, all near I75 & Fowler or I75 & Fletcher.  I'll probably stay at Hilton Gardens because it's off the highway near a tranquil preserve (secluded).

            I should leave Cape Coral Sat am, come back Mon pm.

            Tentative paddles:

            Half day trips Saturday pm and Mon am.  One 1/2 day trip could be HRSP to Dead River Park, a little beyond Dead River is where the river is full of obstacles.

            I'll save big River Trip for Sunday.

            Suggestions welcome.

            Pat Owen