RE: [swflpc] wooden kayak building

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 10 , May 8, 2009
      Hi Chris,

      I've not built one but I was thinking of it, and read a lot. I do know I read somewhere that some varnish doesn't get along with other varnish. I think it was mainly on this kayak building group.

      Ask you questions there, the love to help with problems.

      Carey

      I'm hoping to find someone who has built their own wooded kayak and varnished it. I'm having varnish problems and don't know where to turn for help. Any suggestions? Chris

    • Jim ONeill
      Message 2 of 10 , May 9, 2009
        Been there done that.......Varnishing nearly drove me nuts......Don't know whether I can help but I'm willing to try.....Send me your phone number......Thanks.....Jim  (oneillky@...)

        I'm hoping to find someone who has built their own wooded kayak and varnished it. I'm having varnish problems and don't know where to turn for help. Any suggestions? Chris

      • jeanette chupack
        Message 3 of 10 , May 9, 2009
          We revarnish our boats every year, but I've never done it from scratch.  I can recommend varnishes and techiques if you'd like. (jjchupack@...)
          I'm hoping to find someone who has built their own wooded kayak and varnished it. I'm having varnish problems and don't know where to turn for help. Any suggestions? Chris

        • Oscar Rattenborg
          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2009
            I built a Pigmy double - 20 ft and fast.  I asume that you have glassed it and finished it fullt.  The problem may be hunidity - can you finish it indoord in AC?

            Oscar
             239-220 9052.

            I'm hoping to find someone who has built their own wooded kayak and varnished it. I'm having varnish problems and don't know where to turn for help. Any suggestions? Chris

          • Chris Kaelin
            Message 5 of 10 , May 23, 2009
              hmmm, I think if I bring that boat inside to be varnished, then I'll be living outside....permanently, lol.  Someone told me he thought it might be a problem with the resin and that I might need to sand almost to the fabric and re-resin it.  Any input there?

              Message 6 of 10 , May 23, 2009
                Sanding for a propper grip is OK, but you will always have the resin there.  If it is the conflict, then you are needing a new final coat option.

                hmmm, I think if I bring that boat inside to be varnished, then I'll be living outside....permanen tly, lol.  Someone told me he thought it might be a problem with the resin and that I might need to sand almost to the fabric and re-resin it.  Any input there?

                I built a Pigmy double - 20 ft and fast.  I asume that you have glassed it and finished it fullt.  The problem may be hunidity - can you finish it indoord in AC?

                Oscar
                 239-220 9052.

                I'm hoping to find someone who has built their own wooded kayak and varnished it. I'm having varnish problems and don't know where to turn for help. Any suggestions? Chris

              • kayak_ron_2007
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                  --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <capechris63@...> wrote:

                  > I'm hoping to find someone who has built their own wooded kayak and varnished it. I'm having varnish problems and don't know where to turn for help. Any suggestions? Chris

                  Hi Chris. re varnishing kayak. I have built three wood cedar strip kayaks and one now under construction. It is important to sand the surface for a mechanical adhesion. I have used various marine uv inhibited varnish products.However to end up with no runs it is necessary to thin with the correct thinner for that varnish. The varish is applied in thin coats.If using a brush. The action used with the brush will be similar to a landing and takeoff of an airplane with the grain of the wood. Then Baby sit your work watching for any runs to develope and they can be lightly brushed out or removed carefully with something like a razor blade when the varnish is dry. Hope this is helpful.
                  Ron M.