Fw: Re: [pcpcnaples] KAYAK SAFETY LESSON--again!!

  • n p
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009

      Good advice Mike. May I add to that?

      Dress for submersion. Even a sunny day can be cold when you are wet. Taking a bag of some more warm clothing is also a good habit.

      Take extra food and water. Even if you have good rescue skills, you may not be able to do much if you are cold or hungry.

      Remember—things change and the unexpected can happen.

      Be Prepared—if not for yourself than for your paddling companions. Not being prepared puts your friends in danger, because they will be trying to save you when you can’t.

      I thank all who make efforts to be safe and prepared.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009
              Amen!    Anything can and will (at some time) happen.   Yesterday morning I went to the beach knowing the circumnavigate group would have rough water because of the approaching front. They had beached and were in the process or portaging across the road.  Less than 20 minutes after the last kayak was gone from the beach  the waves at Bonita Beach had grown to 4' + ..... as far out as the eye could see... The wind really escalated and there were periods of  rain with spray blowing off the tops of the waves.     Dicey.

               I'm glad to know everyone made it back safely.

        FYI......  There is a rubber paddle boat launch ramp  across the street from Doc's ( Bonita Beach.)  It belongs to the condos back there but if you paddle in to go to the restaurant (as we were going to do today before the cold front loomed it's ugly 13 mph  N winds   and cold temps all day  today ) you can use the ramp and in a case such as the group had yesterday I'm sure you could relaunch there as well.  It's straight across the street from Doc's , before you get to the condo's  marina and tennis courts... on your left...       It is not a public launch site.

        Barb

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009

          Barb. Thanks for the tip about the boat launch.  Bill knew there was a launch behind the restaurant but because there were so many people gathered on the beach in front of the restaurant we couldn't land there for fear of crashing into someone as we landed.  Instead we paddled beyond them and landed in an isolated spot.  Luckily we found a launch directly behind us.

          Pat O