Re: [swflpc] Camp Lulu this weekend

  • dancingrowing@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
      I hope you'll post some of the meals that were successes.
      I'd like to learn to be better at this camping in the wild thing that y'all do.
      signed,
      Jacksonville Susan
      (a novice but love reading what y'all are doing)

      3/6/2008 12:24:08 PM chicagokayak@... writes:
      concocting new backcountry meals.

    • Chicago Kayak
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008

        Well I can tell you that it always starts out the same way.

        1.       I go to the grocery – hungry

        2.       I purchase too much food

        3.       I come home and pack food in dry bag with abandon

        4.       I unpack and repack multiple times – always removing things and adding others

        5.       I finally count out my food for particular meals, which shows me truly that I still have too much stuff and make a meal plan

        6.       I have a bag stashed in the fridge for my fresh items and my dry items are stored in a bag in my closet, so my BAD DOG does not ransack my food stash before I leave home (it is like living with a raccoon)

        7.       In the morning, I end up throwing in a few more things, which I am sure I NEED

        8.       And unless it is a long trip (over 7 days), where good planning is key, I always, but always, end up with twice a much food as I need.

        Last trip I tried corn bread pancakes – that was really good. I also had chorizo quesadillas made with Queso Oaxaca, also really yummy. I am used to colder climes where food will keep longer and fresh water is available, so this has been fun trying new things.  That said, when I did the Wilderness Waterway last month (via the outside route) the Cauliflower and Broccoli kept for 6 days, the lettuce for three days,(had BLT’s out there) and I did not use a cooler or ice.  I simply stored these items in a dry bag in my day hatch next to some of my water supply.  All was pretty cool in there and never warmed up, even when the kayak was sitting on the beach for many hours in the direct sun.

        I have a Kokotat PFD with a pocket on the back that is intended for a hydration pack. I have found that instead of water in there, I can carry bread and it does not get squished so nice to have regular bread or pita for sandwiches. Of course, you have to be super careful you don’t forget your food (or water) in there cuz the coons will eat your pfd or steal it away if you are not looking.

        Cynthia

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
          Not everyone does it this way, but www.freezerbagcooking.com has lots of info on eating while out and about with minimum fuss. Minimum fuss in camp that is. All the fuss happens in the kitchen before you leave.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2008
            I recently completed a 7-day coastal everglades trip. I bought a Jet
            Boil last summer but didn't use it until this trip. It was great. I
            wanted minimal cleanup so I bought packages of food that could be
            heated in the boiling water of the Jet Boil. Occasionally, I made
            instant rice (equal amts of rice + boiling water--let set for 7-8
            min), then when the package of food was hot, I poured it over the
            rice. I usually added 4-oz ham chunks or 4-oz bag chicken chunks to
            the package of food and heated the open package in the Jet Boil.
            Minimal cleanup. I was careful to not contaminate the Jet Boil water,
            and then poured it back into its original bottle for the next time.
            I basically used almost no water for cooking or cleanup.

            Keith

            --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <Carey@...> wrote:

            > Not everyone does it this way, but www.freezerbagcooking.com has
            lots of
            > info on eating while out and about with minimum fuss. Minimum fuss
            in camp
            > that is. All the fuss happens in the kitchen before you leave.

            Behalf Of