Re: 5 day ice!

  • Don
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
      Rege -

      The reason Keith didn't answer, was that he was doing the Wilderness
      Waterway in his Hobie Trimaran. I saw him yesterday on Pavilion Key,
      and he still had cold beer, after 5 days!!! (I brought him some more
      any way)

      Don

      --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, rgcapecoral@... wrote:

      > Hi Keith,
      >
      > Link you provided for cooler says " does not exist". Am I
      screwing up?

      > Rege
      >
      > Guess I can go to Coleman and check out extreme. Thanks
      >

      > **************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL
      Living.

    • rgcapecoral@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 2, 2008
        Good of you to restock Keith's beer supply!

        I think his Coleman Extreme cooler is a regular style hard cooler with 2" thick insulation, right?  Too large for deck yak?

      • Don
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
          --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, rgcapecoral@... wrote:

          > Good of you to restock Keith's beer supply!
          >
          > I think his Coleman Extreme cooler is a regular style hard cooler
          with 2"
          > thick insulation, right? Too large for deck yak?
          >
          > Rege

          Right - it's pretty big. But it worked out great for his Hobie
          Trimaran. They had good wind this past week - lucky, because his
          sailing buddy, Bill, lost his paddle halfway through the trip! They
          each shared Keith's paddle for the rest of the Wilderness Waterway -
          each had one half. They were lucky to have the mirage drives and wind!

          Don
        • rgcapecoral@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
            AWWW...Benefits of multi-propulsion devises!

            Hey, heard you took maiden voyage in new design skin on frame.  How'd it go?

          • Don
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
              --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, rgcapecoral@... wrote:

              > AWWW...Benefits of multi-propulsion devises!
              >
              > Hey, heard you took maiden voyage in new design skin on frame.
              How'd it go?

              > Rege

              It went GREAT!!!

              I refer to it as my "4 day kayak" because that's how long it took to
              build it - monday afternoon to thursday evening. Mike D. & I have
              been putting our heads together on a new concept kit kayak, and this
              kayak (I named it "Alpha Centauri") is the first semi-completed
              prototype (still a few minor changes to be made).

              It's just over 15 feet long, with a 24" beam & hard chines for
              stability. I gave it a plumb stern (straight down, rather than
              tapered) to aid in tracking, and a rockered tapered bow for a gentle
              entry & easier turning. This first prototype is sort of a cross
              between 2 different kayaks that we want to produce - a low volume & a
              high volume version. It weighs right about 40 lbs., but that weight
              may drop a bit, from a proper skin, and some of the modifications
              that I have in mind.

              I met Dave Whitford friday morning, at the Everglades City Ranger
              Station, and loaded it up with camping gear for our overnight stay on
              Pavilion Key, where we were to meet Keith Wellman, Lou Greenwell, and
              a few others. I carried all of the usual camping gear - tent, chair,
              sleeping bag, change of clothes, sweater & jacket (it was a bit
              nippy!), air mattress & pump (got to be comfortable!), cooking gear,
              2 stoves, food, small cooler (to bring cold beers to Keith & Bill,
              our friends who were 5 days on the Wilderness Trail), and of course,
              fishing gear (rod, tackle bag, pliers, measuring stick, fish bag, rod
              holder). Everything fit inside except for the chair & fishing gear,
              which was all bungeed to the deck. I got a few stares & comments
              from the other people at the launch area, when they saw me loading
              all of this into a see-through kayak!

              I was absolutely THRILLED with the way it performed. It tracked
              straight & true, despite the varying wind & wave directions that we
              encountered, with winds that were, at times, at least 20mph, if not
              more. I normmally paddle my Osprey HP, which has a rudder - I didn't
              miss the rudder at all with this kayak. In the few times where
              quartering winds caused me to "choke up" on one side of the paddle, I
              quickly found that I could simply shift my weight in the seat an inch
              or so, and I could stay on track without modifying my grip on the
              paddle from the normal, balanced position.

              I did some fishing out of the kayak, and found that it maintained its
              position relative to the wind while drifting too. I would paddle
              upwind, then point the bow in the direction where I wanted to cast,
              and once again by shifting my weight in the seat I could maintain my
              drift in that position easily.

              I had high hopes for this design, but I've got to say - it exceeded
              all expectations by far.

              Don
            • Carey Parks
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
                Very cool Don! That's great to hear. Wonderful when things go better than expected. I can't wait to see it.

                > AWWW...Benefits of multi-propulsion devises!
                >
                > Hey, heard you took maiden voyage in new design skin on frame.
                How'd it go?

                > Rege

                It went GREAT!!!

                I refer to it as my "4 day kayak" because that's how long it took to
                build it - monday afternoon to thursday evening. Mike D. & I have
                been putting our heads together on a new concept kit kayak, and this
                kayak (I named it "Alpha Centauri") is the first semi-completed
                prototype (still a few minor changes to be made).

                It's just over 15 feet long, with a 24" beam & hard chines for
                stability. I gave it a plumb stern (straight down, rather than
                tapered) to aid in tracking, and a rockered tapered bow for a gentle
                entry & easier turning. This first prototype is sort of a cross
                between 2 different kayaks that we want to produce - a low volume & a
                high volume version. It weighs right about 40 lbs., but that weight
                may drop a bit, from a proper skin, and some of the modifications
                that I have in mind.

                I met Dave Whitford friday morning, at the Everglades City Ranger
                Station, and loaded it up with camping gear for our overnight stay on
                Pavilion Key, where we were to meet Keith Wellman, Lou Greenwell, and
                a few others. I carried all of the usual camping gear - tent, chair,
                sleeping bag, change of clothes, sweater & jacket (it was a bit
                nippy!), air mattress & pump (got to be comfortable! ), cooking gear,
                2 stoves, food, small cooler (to bring cold beers to Keith & Bill,
                our friends who were 5 days on the Wilderness Trail), and of course,
                fishing gear (rod, tackle bag, pliers, measuring stick, fish bag, rod
                holder). Everything fit inside except for the chair & fishing gear,
                which was all bungeed to the deck. I got a few stares & comments
                from the other people at the launch area, when they saw me loading
                all of this into a see-through kayak!

                I was absolutely THRILLED with the way it performed. It tracked
                straight & true, despite the varying wind & wave directions that we
                encountered, with winds that were, at times, at least 20mph, if not
                more. I normmally paddle my Osprey HP, which has a rudder - I didn't
                miss the rudder at all with this kayak. In the few times where
                quartering winds caused me to "choke up" on one side of the paddle, I
                quickly found that I could simply shift my weight in the seat an inch
                or so, and I could stay on track without modifying my grip on the
                paddle from the normal, balanced position.

                I did some fishing out of the kayak, and found that it maintained its
                position relative to the wind while drifting too. I would paddle
                upwind, then point the bow in the direction where I wanted to cast,
                and once again by shifting my weight in the seat I could maintain my
                drift in that position easily.

                I had high hopes for this design, but I've got to say - it exceeded
                all expectations by far.

                Don

              • Rob Phelan
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Pictures, We want Pictures!!!

                  Congrats on the 4 day boat!

                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Sounds Great!  Congratulations!  Anxious to see ballistic nylon version.

                    You continue to impress us!

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Don, does this mean you'll have a new email?

                      skinkayaker at (yahoo?) dot com?

                      How soon will kits be available?

                      Pat O
                    • Don
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 3, 2008
                        --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, Pat Owen <p8owen@...> wrote:

                        > Don, does this mean you'll have a new email?
                        >
                        > skinkayaker at (yahoo?) dot com?
                        >
                        > How soon will kits be available?
                        >
                        > Pat O

                        ROFLMAO <<<---(ask a teenager what that means)

                        Pat - I love it - maybe I should - "Skinkayaker" sounds good! I
                        still have some details to work out with finalizing the design,
                        preparing assembly manuals & videos, and we need to get supply lines
                        set up for the various components. I can say this - the design for
                        (at the very least) 2 of 6 introductory models, should be complete
                        for the Paradise Coast Kayak Festival at Isle of Capri in April.
                        We'll have them there for anyone to paddle.