wilderness waterway advice

  • Chicago Kayak
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2008

      I am planning to go from Everglades City to Flamingo in early Feb by taking the outer island route, rather than the inside official “waterway” route. We are using sea kayaks (not canoes)

      1.       Any advice from people who have done this before?  It looks pretty straightforward.

      2.       Shuttling – is anyone aware of a boat service that would collect three people plus kayaks and related gear in Flamingo and bring them back to Everglades City for a reasonable cost?

      3.       If we can’t arrange a boat shuttle, we will have to drive three cars down to flamingo and leave two there (can’t get all three kayaks onto one car)  So we will leave the two cars down there and return in the third. Problem is, one of us does not drive so we would need to recruit someone to come down with us and back in the same day to drop the cars in Flamingo. Any good drivers out there that want to go to Flamingo for the day or that would like to be dropped off there?

      Any and all info appreciated!

      Cynthia

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2008
        Cynthia,

        I thought about doing that trip myself and asked some questions.  The Wellman's suggest traveling from Flamingo to Everglades City otherwise you'll be staring into the sun all day long (yuk!). They've made the trip 7-9 times.  Paddle in the AM in case it gets too windy to paddle in the PM.

        I have traveled with 3 kayaks on a car, 2 side by side on the rack and the 3rd one on top of the other 2 kayaks strapped down separately.  It was a pyramid of kayaks.

         Good question.  Can't wait to hear everyone else's advice.  Good luck and hope you have great weather for the trip.

        Pat Owen

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2008

          Pat, Well we will be paddling both morning and afternoon, so actually would rather have sun in my eyes early, when it is not so hot…

          Are planning to paddle 4-6 miles before lunch, and about the same afterwards. Though I think we will be getting an early start each day and lunch might be 10am!

          Plus we have an extra day on the front of the trip to do the shuttle, and don’t have an extra day on the end, (to go back and get their rental car)  Want to be sure that even if we get sidetracked by weather, when we land, they are near their car and ready to go.

          I have seen many boats stacked that way, and to be honest, don’t feel comfortable carrying three glass boats  5 hours on my car that way.  I have a small car, with a rounded roof, so my rack is over a very short space.  Plus kind of hard to transport those nice boats without getting them all scratched up.

          Funniest thing I ever saw was a guy from MN

          He had a dump truck, he was using to haul a motor home

          In the bed of the dump truck he had an economy van.

          On top of the van, he had a canoe

          I took a photo of it – too funny!

          If you are up for the trip, you are more than welcome to join us.  We are going to do about 10-14 miles each day.