Kismet Parkway - much improved.

  • Don
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      I went to the Kismet Parkway launch site today, along with Lynette
      Brown & Fred Merker. When we arrived at the "trouble spot" from
      last wednesday, I could see that the rate of flow was substantially
      less than last week. It was still flowing at a pretty good rate,
      strong enough that you need to position yourself properly before
      making your entry to the first snag area. We had to drag ourselves
      over one submerged tree, and then limbo under 2 others, just as I
      did last week - but - it was not as difficult. Once past that
      point, it was just plain easy. On our way back, we hit it at high
      tide - possibly slack tide. The current was almost non-existent.
      Doing the limbo under the tree was a bit more difficult, because of
      the higher water level, but at least we didn't have to fight the
      current too.
      Because of the new conditions, I would change the rating for this
      paddle from "experienced only" to "moderately difficult". A total
      novice should wait to develop some skills before attempting it, and
      then, only with experienced partners.
      We were on the water by 8am, and all 3 of us brought fishing gear.
      We saw roseate spoonbills, an immature bald eagle, and we had a
      flyover of about 40-50 white pelicans. All 3 of us caught (and
      released) trout, and Lynette caught the biggest one of the day.
      Fred caught a flounder, and I caught a cute little baby grouper -
      couldn't have been over 10" long! We did get rained on, but it
      didn't stop us - we enjoyed it anyway.
      Don