Dec 1 Cocohatchee Paddle Report

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      Thank you, thank you, thank you Mike for your invaluable instruction on
      how to work that kayak. I feel that I've moved up from raw beginner to
      novice. Why, I even learned how to get out without falling in the water
      68% of the time.
      For newcomers like myself it was a pleasure and a joy to meet fellow
      enthusiasts at many levels of skill and experience. They showed much
      kindness and understanding.
      The trip itself, up the Cocohatchee a ways and back down to Wiggins
      Pass was lovely. My friend and myself came back from the group early
      and although we didn't quite get lost got to see some sections of the
      river that we didn't see on the outgoing let. We really didn't mean to,
      we just did.
      Watching Mike give bracing instruction to one of the group was a hoot.
      Man, can he slap the water with his paddle.
      I would heartily recommend similar paddles to any newbies who are
      trying to enter the world of kayaking.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
        Great report, Ken - thank you!

        In your report, you mentioned that you would "heartily recommend
        similar paddles to any newbies that are trying to enter the world of
        kayaking". As Popeye would say... "What a co-inky dense!"

        It just so happens that we are planning another "Play Day", for
        January 6th, at Lover's Key. The idea of the Play Day is that
        members bring their kayaks (many members have extras), and make them
        available for people to try out. We have done this in the past, and
        have had a great turnout for this event. We need members to bring
        boats, and also to volunteer to help keep this thing organized - a
        few people on the shore, and a few people on the water. We want
        people to have fun, learn about the sport of kayaking, and do it
        safely.

        There is also a "Swap Meet" planned, and we need volunteers for that
        too. Anyone can bring anything related to kayaking - kayaks,
        paddles, pfd's, camping equipment, fishing , etc.

        Anyone that is interested in volunteering, please contact me at:
        woodkayaker@..., or call me at 239-369-6380

        More details will be posted soon, about time & location, etc., but
        mark your calendar NOW for January 6th.

        Don