Silver River Trip

  • jjchupack
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2007
      First Announcement: Dave Whitford had to cancel out, so Fred Merker
      and Tom Nelson will ride and camp together at site 34. That leaves
      room for one tent at our site, 47. So if anyone is interested please
      give us a call at 699-3019 or 218-8496.

      Here is the schedule of events for Dec 6-9 as far as it's gotten:

      Dec 6: We are using the day to set up camp, explore, check out
      Gore's landing for the next day's shuttle. The park has a museum,
      and we'll check out the park dock. Dinner is on your own, and
      depending on weather we'll cook at the camp or eat out.

      Dec 7: Starting at 8 AM to shuttle cars to Gore's Landing and then
      depart from Ray's Wayside Park at 9 AM. to paddle the Oklawaha
      downstream to Gore's Landing and our cars. This is a ten mile paddle
      with promises of great scenery and no boat traffic.

      Alternative Paddle: Fred Merker will lead a Silver River paddle for
      those who want to avoid congestion on the river on Sat., and he will
      be going to Salt Springs Run on Saturday. Don and Brenda may also
      have a different paddle in mind.

      Dec.8: Be at Ray's Wayside Park in time to leave at 8:30 to paddle
      the Silver River. There will be a kayak race (not for us, but Ira is
      racing) with 25 racers starting at 10 AM so we want to be on the
      water early so we can stop and watch them go by from the park dock
      and not be in their way. We will have plenty of time to paddle the
      river and photograph, etc. The racers will be all finished by noon.
      The round trip is about 8 miles. Paddling is easy. In the evening,
      weather permitting, we'd like to have a pot luck cook-out. Steve and
      I will grill veggies and chicken, and Pat Dobbels might bring his
      famous gumbo!! Any food you can think up will be welcome.

      Alternative Paddle: led by Fred Merker to Salt Springs Run. Sounds
      like a great clear water paddle and is north of Silver Springs in
      Ocala Nat. Forest.

      Dec 9: For those who want to do just one more river before heading
      home, we will paddle the Rainbow River. We'll break camp early and
      head out ASAP. Rainbow is A bit South and west of Silver Springs.

      Here are the campsites and trip participants so far:

      31---Don and Brenda and friends
      47---Steve and Jeanette and ?
      49---Pat Owen and Ginger
      56---Mabel and Susan
      53---Pat Dobbels and Mike Devlin
      32---Ruth and Carey Parks and Rege
      59---Susan and Carole
      58---Kayne Torman and Terri Krass
      34---Fred Merker and Tom Nelson

      In Motels--Will Meet us to paddle;

      Betty and Allen
      Bob and Linda Farley (Day's Inn)
      Win Turner and Debbie

      You all can let me know if I've got this right.

      This is all just to keep everyone informed of plans, but of course
      things can change with weather, etc. We will paddle rain or shine!!

      Jeanette
    • fredmerker
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 18, 2007

        Hi Jeanette:

        When I try to post I am told my emails are bouncing? Let me know if you receive this message.

        Thanks Fred

      • jjchupack
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 18, 2007

        • dancingrowing@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2007
            I'm looking forward to meeting all y'all at the potluck.   I'm not sure what food I'm bringing yet....something vegetarian most likely.  Where will the potluck occur?

            Here is Carol's thoughts on her potluck dish:
            I'm thinking now about a paella with chicken and shrimp and those andouille sausage.  I can cook some of it ahead of time and then just heat it all up.

            Also I would very much like to join y'all for the Silver River paddle on Saturday to watch the racers go by.

            Friday Carol and I are meeting at 11 am for the Juniper Springs run.   Anyone is (of course) welcome to join us.  If I can get my kayak racks on my van, I'll be in a 2004 teal colored Chevrolet van.  Hopefully Black Creek will put them on for me today.

            See ya'll soon.
            Susan
            Jacksonville

            forward:
            Saturday Dec.8: Be at Ray's Wayside Park in time to leave at 8:30 to paddle  the Silver River. There will be a kayak race (not for us, but Ira is
            racing) with 25 racers starting at 10 AM so we want to be on the
            water early so we can stop and watch them go by from the park dock
            and not be in their way. We will have plenty of time to paddle the
            river and photograph, etc. The racers will be all finished by noon.
            The round trip is about 8 miles. Paddling is easy.
            Alternative Paddle for Saturday: led by Fred Merker to Salt Springs Run. Sounds
            like a great clear water paddle and is north of Silver Springs in
            Ocala Nat. Forest.

            Sunday Dec 9: For those who want to do just one more river before heading
            home, we will paddle the Rainbow River. We'll break camp early and
            head out ASAP. Rainbow is A bit South and west of Silver Springs.

            This is all just to keep everyone informed of plans, but of course
            things can change with weather, etc. We will paddle rain or shine!!

            Friday evening, weather permitting, we'd like to have a pot luck cook-out. Steve and I will grill veggies and chicken, and Pat Dobbels might bring his
            famous gumbo!! Any food you can think up will be welcome.

            Jeanette

          • jeanette chupack
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2007
              Sounds Great!  Paella is an all-time favorite. We will look for you.  Not sure where potluck will be, but look for Steve and myself at #47.  We will determine exact location on Thursday when we snoop around a little.!  Racer Stan Holoquist will be camping at Pat Owen's campsite.  You all can get to know him and his wife

              Jeanette
              !
[...]

              Check out AOL Money Finance's list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

            • Kerri Thompson
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007

                Jeanette,

                Greetings from Deland.  Are you the trip leader for the Silver River Paddle????

                toodles, Kerri

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007

                  Hi all Silver River Trippers:

                  I will be leaving on Thursday for the trip. My cell phone # is (239) 464 5154. Home phone @ (239) 225 0243.

                  Fred

                  hi

                • jeanette chupack
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2007
                    Hi Fred!  Steve and I will be on the road on Thurs. as well. See you up there.  We plan to get there around 1 PM.  Our cell phones are the same as home phone.

                    Jeanette