Re: [swflpc] SWFLPC Shirts

  • bestmom644@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2007
      rege,

      i would like a shirt, however i am currently in new york and will be
      returnng apx. 9/7. is it possible to mail a check? if yes i need an
      address.

      thanks,
      beverly sarofsky

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
        Hi Everyone,

        Pat and I've had some inquiries about getting SWFLPC club shirts.

        If anyone wants to bring 1 or more of YOUR SHIRTS to the meeting
        Wednesday along with $6.00/shirt, I'll have them made up for you.
        PLEASE attach your name to shirt and have correct cash. It will take 1-
        2 weeks for me to get them back. I've had them done on cotton tees,
        wicking tees, and Columbia fishing shirts....they all came out good.
        Only issue I've experienced is they won't breath where insignia is.
        WE NEED A MINIMUM OF 12 SHIRTS to get done.

        Pat will bring info to meeting about ordering NEW wicking anti-
        microbacterial shirts.

        Thanks,
        Rege 239-443-8136
      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
          Hey y'all, while I was in New Paltz, New York (favorite seen bumper sticker: "Well at least the war on the environment is going well.") A climbing shop had these bamboo T's on sale for like $10. They felt soft so I bought a couple. They are really great things! They are as good at wicking as my poly shirts, and naturally anti-bactirial. I know they work because I wore those two shirts for the next week without washing them. (Ruth did make me put on another shirt one time when we went to dinner.)  Oh, and they are not supposed to pill. I've not had them very long so I can't speak to the long term effects.

          The ones I bought are made by onno (http://www.onnotextiles.com/bamboo-t-shirts)

          Their web site says:

          70% bamboo, 30% organic cotton. Great fit. Softer than your softest cotton shirt. People are going to touch you. Wicks moisture. Antimicrobial. Made from the fastest growing plant on earth. You'll like these shirts.

          But bamboo is wood. How is this going to be comfortable to wear as clothing? The wood is pulverized to separate the natural fibers and the resulting fabric is soft, even softer than cotton. It's silky. There's no roughness to it at all. In fact, the material has been compared to a silk/cashmere blend. Bamboo t-shirts feel smooth against your body and move with you beautifully. They move so well and feel so good that you may be inspired to belly dance, which could work up a sweat. But have no worries, bamboo clothing is similar to wool in that it stays two to three degrees cooler than cotton in hot weather. It is physically cooler to the touch than cotton. How great is that? This magic fabric also keeps you warmer than cotton in cooler weather.
          They have wholesale pricing (I have no idea what that is) but the retail price is $26. Clearance/seconds at $12. I'd go for the $12 shirts to paddle in. Know what I mean vern?
          I have no stock in this company etc. etc. etc. Just like my shirts.

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
            Carey, guess what?  We can get bamboo blend polos 68/32 poly/poly from bamboo charcoal, UPF rating of 50, antimicrobial, UV resistance and odor inhibiting, wicks moisture.  They also have bamboo blend towels 60/40 rayon from bamboo/cotton terry.  I bring pictures with color choices to meeting.

            I, too, like the antimicrobial shirts, they'll be great for kayak camping this year.

            Pat O

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2008
              I am (as is probably obvious) quite impressed with these shirts. I wish I could give a long term report. Guess we'll have to use "the Google" for that. I'll try and make the meeting and model one of them. Get the runway ready...

              Very interesting Carey. I would love to see AND FEEL this fabric. And, to know how much water it holds when wet--since it is 30% cotton. It is amazing that this could be that soft. Bamboo is a grass (and therefore technically not wood) and grasses contain a lot of silica--yes like glass. So, grasses are very hard. I used to work with grasses--when cutting them my blades would get dull VERY fast.

              If you are coming to the next meeting would you show us your shirt? This is amazing and could be an environmental winner.

              thanks,
              natasha