Re: [swflpc] Fisheating Creek Report

  • rgcapecoral@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
      Pat,

      Thanks for putting the trip together!

      It was good getting together again on the water and paddling with Mike & Mike ( not to be confused with Daryl & Daryl ), & the rest of the Club.  We also had some newer members; Maxis, Daniel, Doug & Karen, Jeff & Gail.

      Each time I've been to Fisheating Creek has been different due to season and water level, but always Beautiful!

    • Don
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
        --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, p8owen@... wrote:
        > I want to thank everyone who came out yesterday, we had great
        weather, great scenery, plenty of water to paddle in,?and great
        sound effects from the alligators.??

        Pat -

        Last summer, when we paddled the Braden River, I heard one of
        those "gator sound effects"... probably the one you're referring to?

        I know that in mating season, big male gators move into shallow
        water, to where their backs are exposed, and inhale deeply - then
        they exhale while vabrating their backs in the water, making a
        dancing display of the water with the deep resonance of the sound
        they are making.

        To me, the sound was almost like someone trying to kick start a big
        motorcycle, but the sounds slowly fades, instead of the motorcycle
        kicking in - is that what you heard? I can tell you this... it
        impressed the heck out of me!

        Don
      • darby doerzbacher
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
          --- Don <woodkayaker@...> wrote:

          > --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, p8owen@... wrote:
          > > I want to thank everyone who came out yesterday,
          > we had great
          > weather, great scenery, plenty of water to paddle
          > in,?and great
          > sound effects from the alligators.??
          >
          > Pat -
          >
          > Last summer, when we paddled the Braden River, I
          > heard one of
          > those "gator sound effects"... probably the one
          > you're referring to?
          >
          > I know that in mating season, big male gators move
          > into shallow
          > water, to where their backs are exposed, and inhale
          > deeply - then
          > they exhale while vabrating their backs in the
          > water, making a
          > dancing display of the water with the deep resonance
          > of the sound
          > they are making.
          >
          > To me, the sound was almost like someone trying to
          > kick start a big
          > motorcycle, but the sounds slowly fades, instead of
          > the motorcycle
          > kicking in - is that what you heard? I can tell you
          > this... it
          > impressed the heck out of me!
          >
          > Don

          Don, I love the casual use of the word "impress." I'm
          doing the Braden next weekend, and I am sure that a
          Gator mating call will do more to me than "impress". I
          will let you know exactly how fast my heart rate
          climbs. Darby

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
            No, we didn't hear the male mating call.  I have not heard this in the wild but saw it on TV on a National Geo Documentary on the Florida alligator at 3am one morning.  What we heard were grunts or croaking a little away from the main creek.  One man we ran across told us there were alligator nests around.  We wisely did not investigate.

            Pat

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
              Darby -

              It was right at a 90 degree bend in the river - down river from that
              whacky restaurant (I forget the name? Good BBQ buffet). There was
              a grassy area on the outside of the bend, and the gator was in that
              grassy area. I'll tell you true - I really thought someone was
              somewhere near the river, trying to kick start a big harley hog...
              but after about the third time, I realized what it was, and then
              hearing it again, there was NO DOUBT.

              My camera has sound recording capability. Next time I hear it, I'll
              do my best to record it. Really an amazing thing to witness. It'll
              take some guts to get close enough to a testosterone-filled bull
              gator, to get pictures of that "water dance" though. I don't think
              my camera's zoom is good enough. Oh, what the heck... I'll try
              ANYTHING once (as proven before).

              Don

              --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, darby doerzbacher <ddoerz@...> wrote:

              > --- Don <woodkayaker@...> wrote:
              >
              > > --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, p8owen@ wrote:
              > > > I want to thank everyone who came out yesterday,
              > > we had great
              > > weather, great scenery, plenty of water to paddle
              > > in,?and great
              > > sound effects from the alligators.??
              > >
              > > Pat -
              > >
              > > Last summer, when we paddled the Braden River, I
              > > heard one of
              > > those "gator sound effects"... probably the one
              > > you're referring to?
              > >
              > > I know that in mating season, big male gators move
              > > into shallow
              > > water, to where their backs are exposed, and inhale
              > > deeply - then
              > > they exhale while vabrating their backs in the
              > > water, making a
              > > dancing display of the water with the deep resonance
              > > of the sound
              > > they are making.
              > >
              > > To me, the sound was almost like someone trying to
              > > kick start a big
              > > motorcycle, but the sounds slowly fades, instead of
              > > the motorcycle
              > > kicking in - is that what you heard? I can tell you
              > > this... it
              > > impressed the heck out of me!
              > >
              > > Don
              > >

              > Don, I love the casual use of the word "impress." I'm
              > doing the Braden next weekend, and I am sure that a
              > Gator mating call will do more to me than "impress". I
              > will let you know exactly how fast my heart rate
              > climbs. Darby

              _______________
              who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

            • Don
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
                --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, p8owen@... wrote:

                > No, we didn't hear the male mating call.? I have not heard this in
                the wild but?saw it on TV on?a National Geo Documentary on the Florida
                alligator at 3am one morning.? What we heard were grunts or croaking a
                little away from the main creek.? One man we ran across told us there
                were alligator nests around.? We wisely did not investigate.

                > Pat

                OK - might have been Pig Frogs. Baby gators are almost more like
                chirping. Nests are usually piles of debris - not necessarily right
                next to the water, but usually close by. Mama's always nearby. This
                is not a good time of year to test how close you can get to them, for
                picture-taking... they're best left alone. Winter's the best time for
                close-up shots, when they aren't... occupied with things.

                Don
              • Maxis
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
                  Alligator matting season starts in March, so I really think
                  that "sound" was something else.

                  In one of my few photography trips to the everglades, I witnessed few
                  alligators matting, with that said the sound and water vibration is
                  something will scare you even if you are in land. Its extremely loud
                  and very scary and I wound not dare to be with my Kayak near them as
                  males are more aggressive.

                  Alligator Farm is St. Augustine is an excellent place to witness this.
                • jeanette chupack
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
                    Don,

                    None of us got anywhere near to too close to gators.  Closest was one that was swimming around at the put in. Other folks may have seen more than I did. The sounds were pretty much like gator noises we'd  heard before--just grunts coming from a distance. I actually have no interest whatever in taking pics of alligators!!:-)

                    Jeanette

                  • ktorman@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 7, 2007
                      The whacky place is Linger Lodge.

                      From: "Don" <woodkayaker@...>

                      Darby -

                      ____________ ___
                      who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
                      > http://answers. yahoo.com/ dir/?link= list&sid= 396545469

                    • Mary Rawl
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 12, 2010
                        Two bits of good news to report:

                        The water is rising for some great "dry season" (haha) paddling. Almost 4' today.
                        http://waterdata.usgs.gov/fl/nwis/uv?02256500

                        As of Tuesday, the Campground will be under new management.  Allen and Patty Register are great folks and we should see lots of improvements there.  The new website is:
                        http://fisheatingcreekoutpost.com/default.asp

                        Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 16, 2010
                          Thanks Mary.  Everyone should check out the new website for Fisheating Creek, IT IS a big improvement.

                          fisheatingcreekoutpost.com

                          I think I might go paddling there Saturday.

                          PatO

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 16, 2010
                          Paddled Fisheating Creek on Sunday with Chris and Vicki. It was awesome! The water level is way up and we were able to paddle way upstream. Met John when we came in and they were going out in the new rental kayaks to try them out.

                          They also have a Facebook page if anyones interested. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Palmdale-FL/Fisheating-Creek-Outpost/348340897460

                          Marc

                          --
                          Respectfully,

                          Marc Odden
                          239.321.2123
                          marc.odden@...
                          Message 13 of 15 , Mar 16, 2010
                            I can't pass up the opportunity to paddle FEC in March.  Will probably launch from the park 8:30am, paddle upstream and back.  This is an easy paddle with spectacular scenery and wildlife.  If anyone wants to join me just show up.

                            Pat Owen

                            The water is rising for some great "dry season" (haha) paddling. Almost 4' today.
                            http://waterdata. usgs.gov/ fl/nwis/uv? 02256500

                            As of Tuesday, the Campground will be under new management.  Allen and Patty Register are great folks and we should see lots of improvements there.  The new website is:
                            http://fisheatingcr eekoutpost. com/default. asp

                            Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.

                            --
                            Respectfully,

                            Marc Odden
                            239.321.2123