Cayo Costa site booked

  • woodkayaker
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2005
      I have booked another tent camping site for the Cayo Costa
      trip. I will be on the water at about 8:30 am on friday, October
      21, if anyone wants to join me for the paddle to Cayo Costa. If
      there is no heavy surf, I might go around the south tip of Cayo
      Costa, to avoid the portage. That is a trip of 11 1/2 miles, with a
      convenient rest stop on the beach at 5 1/2 miles. If we go via the
      (former?) mangrove tunnel, we will save approximately 2 miles, but
      will have to carry everything over about 75 feet of beach.
      Personally, I'd rather do the portage on a trip when my kayak is
      relatively empty, and just paddle the extra 2 miles this time around.
      If anyone would like to see the route on their computer, go to
      www.earth.google.com, and click on GET GOOGLE EARTH (free version).
      Once you have the program, start it up, then type in "Pineland, FL"
      in the search box. This will center the map between the historical
      marker & Pineland Marina. The large island due west of Pineland is
      Cayo Costa. Click "tools", then "measure", then "path", then mark
      your route. This will give you the mileage for various routes. As
      you enter your waypoints, if you look in the lower left hand corner
      of the map, you will see the gps coordinates, in case you want to
      pre-enter them in your hand-held gps unit.
      Let me know if you plan to join me.
      Don
    • runhalf69
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2005
        Don,
        I can't stay overnight due to prior committment on Sat, but would
        like to go out with you at least to the island (rest stop). Where
        are you putting in and what time, so I could get with you, I'm not
        familiar with the waterways yet.
        Thanks,
        Phil Crittenden
        (H) 656-5006
        (c) 633-4814
        (H) philcrittenden@...
        (W) phcrittenden@...

        --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "woodkayaker" <Multiplants@e...>
        wrote:

        > I have booked another tent camping site for the Cayo Costa
        > trip. I will be on the water at about 8:30 am on friday, October
        > 21, if anyone wants to join me for the paddle to Cayo Costa. If
        > there is no heavy surf, I might go around the south tip of Cayo
        > Costa, to avoid the portage. That is a trip of 11 1/2 miles, with
        > convenient rest stop on the beach at 5 1/2 miles. If we go via
        the
        > (former?) mangrove tunnel, we will save approximately 2 miles, but
        > will have to carry everything over about 75 feet of beach.
        > Personally, I'd rather do the portage on a trip when my kayak is
        > relatively empty, and just paddle the extra 2 miles this time
        around.
        > If anyone would like to see the route on their computer, go
        > www.earth.google.com, and click on GET GOOGLE EARTH (free
        version).
        > Once you have the program, start it up, then type in "Pineland,
        FL"
        > in the search box. This will center the map between the
        historical
        > marker & Pineland Marina. The large island due west of Pineland
        is
        > Cayo Costa. Click "tools", then "measure", then "path", then mark
        > your route. This will give you the mileage for various routes.
        As
        > you enter your waypoints, if you look in the lower left hand
        corner
        > of the map, you will see the gps coordinates, in case you want to
        > pre-enter them in your hand-held gps unit.
        > Let me know if you plan to join me.
        > Don

      • Don
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2005
          Phil (and anyone else that might want to join me) -
          We'll be launching at Pineland at about 8:30 am on friday. Since
          you won't be staying overnight, you can park and launch at the
          historical marker - it's free. (Pineland Marina offers launching and
          overnight parking, for a fee.) I will call you monday, to give you
          details. I think that Jack Worthington might join in for a partial
          trip too, so you might have company for the return trip. BTW - many
          bait & tackle shops sell small laminated charts, like placemats, that
          are a perfect size for kayaking. Out on the water, all of the
          mangrove islands look the same, unless you keep track of them on a
          chart.
          Don

          --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "runhalf69" <philcrittenden@c...> wrote:

          > Don,
          > I can't stay overnight due to prior committment on Sat, but would
          > like to go out with you at least to the island (rest stop). Where
          > are you putting in and what time, so I could get with you, I'm not
          > familiar with the waterways yet.
          > Thanks,
          > Phil Crittenden
          > (H) 656-5006
          > (c) 633-4814
          > (H) philcrittenden@c...
          > (W) phcrittenden@s...

        • Don
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 17, 2005
            Looks like we'd better keep our eyes on the southern Gulf of Mexico.
            She just might affect our plans for the upcoming weekend.
            Don
          • Regis Good
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
              Hi Don,

              I'm still waiting on OK from work to take off Friday.  Would like the extra day if possible.

              Rege Good   239-443-8136

              Don <Multiplants@...> wrote:
              Phil (and anyone else that might want to join me) -
                   We'll be launching at Pineland at about 8:30 am on friday.  Since
              you won't be staying overnight, you can park and launch at the
              historical marker - it's free.  (Pineland Marina offers launching and
              overnight parking, for a fee.)  I will call you monday, to give you
              details.  I think that Jack Worthington might join in for a partial
              trip too, so you might have company for the return trip.  BTW - many
              bait & tackle shops sell small laminated charts, like placemats, that
              are a perfect size for kayaking.  Out on the water, all of the
              mangrove islands look the same, unless you keep track of them on a
              chart.
              Don

              --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "runhalf69" <philcrittenden@c...> wrote:

              > Don,
              > I can't stay overnight due to prior committment on Sat, but would
              > like to go out with you at least to the island (rest stop).  Where
              > are you putting in and what time, so I could get with you, I'm not
              > familiar with the waterways yet.
              > Thanks,
              > Phil Crittenden
              > (H) 656-5006
              > (c) 633-4814
              > (H) philcrittenden@c...
              > (W) phcrittenden@s...

            • Patrick Dobbels
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 18, 2005
                Hello:
                  Please let me know who is going saturday. We have three sites reserved. That's a max of 24 people. My phone # is 277-1075. See you all later.
                                                   Patrick

                Don <Multiplants@...> wrote:
                Phil (and anyone else that might want to join me) -
                     We'll be launching at Pineland at about 8:30 am on friday.  Since
                you won't be staying overnight, you can park and launch at the
                historical marker - it's free.  (Pineland Marina offers launching and
                overnight parking, for a fee.)  I will call you monday, to give you
                details.  I think that Jack Worthington might join in for a partial
                trip too, so you might have company for the return trip.  BTW - many
                bait & tackle shops sell small laminated charts, like placemats, that
                are a perfect size for kayaking.  Out on the water, all of the
                mangrove islands look the same, unless you keep track of them on a
                chart.
                Don

                --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "runhalf69" <philcrittenden@c...> wrote:

                > Don,
                > I can't stay overnight due to prior committment on Sat, but would
                > like to go out with you at least to the island (rest stop).  Where
                > are you putting in and what time, so I could get with you, I'm not
                > familiar with the waterways yet.
                > Thanks,
                > Phil Crittenden
                > (H) 656-5006
                > (c) 633-4814
                > (H) philcrittenden@c...
                > (W) phcrittenden@s...

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • runhalf69
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 19, 2005
                  Don,
                  Looks like Cayo Costa is a wash for me anyway. I have to go into work
                  (fire Dept.) tomorrow until Wilma is gone, and who knows how long after
                  that. Probably be awhile before I make a trip, as I go hunting in IL
                  for couple weeks first part of Nov.
                  Phil
                • Don
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 19, 2005
                    I have been tracking Wilma's progress closely - there may be changes
                    in the forecast track very soon. The forecast models have been
                    counting on Wilma moving slowly to the northwest for the last couple
                    of days, and it just hasn't been happening. There are indications
                    now, that Wilma might even cross the tip of the Yucatan peninsula -
                    weakening the storm, and delaying its entry into the gulf. If this
                    happens, the steering event might just take her to Cuba. Keep
                    watching though... anything can happen. NOAA's forecast track maps do
                    not reflect these changes at this time, but the next update might show
                    this new info.
                    Pat - I contacted ReserveAmerica re: Wilma. They sent an e-mail
                    response, with a toll-free number for cancelling WITHOUT FEES. If we
                    need to cancel, it won't cost us anything.
                    We should have much better info on Wilma tomorrow at this time. How
                    about if we make our decision then?
                    Don