Conservation Estero

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 8:03 PM
      Hi all,

      There's a new web site with an associated blog for folks interested in the goings on in the Estero watershed. The web site (www.conservationestero.com) provides base information and a blog where everyone can speak their mind (cordially of course) and listen (notice it's a two way deal) to other people's viewpoints. Our hope is that by opening a dialog we can help the developers better understand the needs of the community and the community better understand the needs and limitations of the developers. You will see that the point is not to stop development, but to perhaps influence it.

      An example - and I forget where this comes from - some government group thought that the perfect kayak launch site would be a mini-dock like a power boat would use only smaller. They did not realize that a simple sandy beach is the best. Learning that fact changed the cost of installing a kayak launch a whole lot, and of course would improve the use to kayakers. I don't know what ever became of the project, but it's an illustration of the learning that an open conversation can facilitate.

      Maybe all we will do is make sure the bridges are high enough so we don't have to limbo under them. Maybe there's nothing that needs to be done at all. You be the judge.

      If you are interested in the Estero River or Estero Bay, wander over to www.ConservationEstero.com sometime and have a look at what's there, sign up for future notices (no commitment to do anything) and leave your comments on one of the blog posts if you have a thought to share. Don't be shy, say what you think pro or con, but remember to please be polite. (see? I said please.)

      Cheers,

      Carey