Paddling in the Sarasota Area

  • carlsonlen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2007
      I'm an avid sea kayaker based on the Jersey shore and will be
      vacationing in Siesta Key from Feb 17 through March 10 at a place
      that is close to the canal around Plum Island. It looks like a
      decent place to put in and the maze of canals eventually reach the
      bay.

      I was originally going to transport one of my boats on my roof but
      would rather try to find a reasonable rental of a decent kayak in
      FL. My boats are a Necky Chatham 18, Pygmy Artic Tern High (that I
      built) and Wilderness Sealution XL. The FL rental places that I've
      talked to so far seem to have mostly rec boats or sit-on-tops and the
      few sea kayaks seem to be wide plastic boats.

      Does anyone have any leads on sea kayak rentals in the Siesta Key
      area – even possibly from a private individual?

      My kayaking includes 2-6 hour paddles in the bays, rivers and open
      ocean around here in all sorts of conditions (including a few "combat
      rolls"). However, during this trip my kayaking will be toned down a
      little as I am recuperating from surgery in December.

      In addition to looking for a boat I am also interested in finding
      someone to paddle with so I would appreciate any leads on group or
      individual paddles, etc. I'm an active member of the Jersey Shore
      Sea Kayakers Association - JSSKA ( http://www.jsska.org/ and
      http://www.goldcar.com/cgi-bin/yabbk/YaBB.pl ) so if anyone from your
      club is ever up this way be sure to contact me and I'll set you up
      for some paddling. Thank You.
      Len
    • Don
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
        Len -

        Most of us are well south of that area, and there are so many paddling
        opportunities in our own area, that we don't often go there. But, we
        did a trip last year to the Braden River, and I enjoyed it - this was
        a nice leisurely paddle, on a very pretty river. We launched at the
        Linger Lodge, and also enjoyed lunch there. Myakka River State Park
        is very close to the Sarasota area. I just wrote a trip report about
        that, about a week ago. I think you can rent boats there. The water
        level is dropping though, so if you wanted to see the Deep Hole, and
        all of the gators, you should talk to the rangers about launching
        closer to the Lower Myakka Lake. The Peace River, and Fisheating
        Creek, are also some great destinations. I'm afraid I can't really be
        much help with finding a place to rent kayaks - I don't rent, and
        don't know the businesses up there.

        Is there anyone here that does know these things? Let's help Len out,
        if we can.

        Don

        BTW - If you ever feel like writing a trip report, I enjoy reading
        that sort of thing.

        --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "carlsonlen" <carlsonlen@...> wrote:

        > I'm an avid sea kayaker based on the Jersey shore and will be
        > vacationing in Siesta Key from Feb 17 through March 10 at a place
        > that is close to the canal around Plum Island. It looks like a
        > decent place to put in and the maze of canals eventually reach the
        > bay.
        >
        > I was originally going to transport one of my boats on my roof but
        > would rather try to find a reasonable rental of a decent kayak in
        > FL. My boats are a Necky Chatham 18, Pygmy Artic Tern High (that I
        > built) and Wilderness Sealution XL. The FL rental places that I've
        > talked to so far seem to have mostly rec boats or sit-on-tops and the
        > few sea kayaks seem to be wide plastic boats.
        >
        > Does anyone have any leads on sea kayak rentals in the Siesta Key
        > area – even possibly from a private individual?
        >
        > My kayaking includes 2-6 hour paddles in the bays, rivers and open
        > ocean around here in all sorts of conditions (including a few "combat
        > rolls"). However, during this trip my kayaking will be toned down a
        > little as I am recuperating from surgery in December.
        >
        > In addition to looking for a boat I am also interested in finding
        > someone to paddle with so I would appreciate any leads on group or
        > individual paddles, etc. I'm an active member of the Jersey Shore
        > Sea Kayakers Association - JSSKA ( http://www.jsska.org/ and
        > http://www.goldcar.com/cgi-bin/yabbk/YaBB.pl ) so if anyone from your
        > club is ever up this way be sure to contact me and I'll set you up
        > for some paddling. Thank You.
        > Len

      • Don
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2007
          Len - I just checked the calendar here, and one event that is
          happening during your stay might interest you. It is called the
          Everglades Paddle-In. It would require that you drive quite a ways
          south of where you will be staying, but it might be worth the drive,
          if you wanted to have a taste of the 10,000 islands. Check out this link:

          http://www.chokoloskeecharters.com/Paddle_In_2007.htm

          Also, I was just thinking - If you plan a trip on any of the rivers
          that I mentioned in my previous post, you will want to check on water
          levels first. We normally do those trips in the summer time, or
          autumn, when water levels are still sufficient. Might be a lot of
          knuckle-walking or mud-slogging involved.

          Don
        • ktorman@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007
            Don,
            I have put Len in touch with Dick Pfaff at Economy Tackle, our large kayak outfitter,and with a very experienced kayaker from him area in NJ. I think he'll be well taken care of as far as getting a boat, finding launch sites and people to paddle with. Thanks!
            KayneTorman

            From: "Don" <Multiplants@...>

            Len -

            Most of us are well south of that area, and there are so many paddling
            opportunities in our own area, that we don't often go there. But, we
            did a trip last year to the Braden River, and I enjoyed it - this was
            a nice leisurely paddle, on a very pretty river. We launched at the
            Linger Lodge, and also enjoyed lunch there. Myakka River State Park
            is very close to the Sarasota area. I just wrote a trip report about
            that, about a week ago. I think you can rent boats there. The water
            level is dropping though, so if you wanted to see the Deep Hole, and
            all of the gators, you should talk to the rangers about launching
            closer to the Lower Myakka Lake. The Peace River, and Fisheating
            Creek, are also some great destinations. I'm afraid I can't really be
            much help with finding a place to rent kayaks - I don't rent, and
            don't know the businesses up there.

            Is there anyone here that does know these things? Let's help Len out,
            if we can .

            Don

            BTW - If you ever feel like writing a trip report, I enjoy reading
            that sort of thing.

            --- In swflpc@yahoogroups. com, "carlsonlen" <carlsonlen@ ...> wrote:

            > I'm an avid sea kayaker based on the Jersey shore and will be
            > vacationing in Siesta Key from Feb 17 through March 10 at a place
            > that is close to the canal around Plum Island. It looks like a
            > decent place to put in and the maze of canals eventually reach the
            > bay.
            >
            > I was originally going to transport one of my boats on my roof but
            > would rather try to find a reasonable rental of a decent kayak in
            > FL. My boats are a Necky Chatham 18, Pygmy Artic Tern High (that I
            > built) and Wilderness Sealution XL. The FL rental places that I've
            > talked to so far seem to have mostly rec boats or sit-on-tops and the
            > few sea kayaks seem to be wide plas tic boats.
            >
            > Does anyone have any leads on sea kayak rentals in the Siesta Key
            > area � even possibly from a private individual?
            >
            > My kayaking includes 2-6 hour paddles in the bays, rivers and open
            > ocean around here in all sorts of conditions (including a few "combat
            > rolls"). However, during this trip my kayaking will be toned down a
            > little as I am recuperating from surgery in December.
            >
            > In addition to looking for a boat I am also interested in finding
            > someone to paddle with so I would appreciate any leads on group or
            > individual paddles, etc. I'm an active member of the Jersey Shore
            > Sea Kayakers Association - JSSKA ( http://www.jsska. org/ and
            > http://www.goldcar. com/cgi-bin/ yabbk/YaBB. pl ) so if anyone from your
            > club is ever up this way be sure to contact me and I'll set you up
            > for some paddling. Thank You.
            > Len

          • Leonard Carlson
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2007

              Thanks Don – I’ve gotten a lot of responses and should be in good shape to include paddling in my vacation.  If you’re ever up this way be sure to contact me and I’ll introduce you to Jersey shore kayaking.

              Len