Sunday trips

  • sctt_leland
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 14, 2006
      Anybody got anything planned for this Sunday, the 17th? Since the
      Bokeelia trip got canceled, I am looking for some paddling partners.
      Saturday might work as well, but the 10,000 Island trip is a bit far
      for me to drive that day. Scott
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
        Scott, same here.  Where do you want to go Sunday?  I live in Cape Coral.

        Pat O

        Anybody got anything planned for this Sunday, the 17th?  Since the
        Bokeelia trip got canceled, I am looking for some paddling partners.
        Saturday might work as well, but the 10,000 Island trip is a bit far
        for me to drive that day.  Scott

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:swflpc-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:swflpc-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Carey Parks
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
          Hi Scott and Pat,

          Parks'es and Chupack's are planning a Sunday AM paddle in the Pine Island area too. We were thinking maybe up north somewhere if we could find a put-in. Then there's always Tropical Point, we've not been out of there for a while. We also have a launch site in St James City, that provides access to the lagoon on the SE of Pine Island, but without getting into open water there's noplace to stretch your legs (arms?) from there.

          The latest red tide report says there's some present on the west side of Pine Island, but not very bad. No data on Matlacha pass.

          We've not been out of Kismet since what, New Years? If the water is up that might be a fun option.

          What are your thoughts?

          Cheers,

          Carey

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
            --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "sctt_leland" <atmoram@...> wrote:

            > Anybody got anything planned for this Sunday, the 17th? Since the
            > Bokeelia trip got canceled, I am looking for some paddling partners.
            > Saturday might work as well, but the 10,000 Island trip is a bit far
            > for me to drive that day. Scott

            Hi Scott! Steve and I and Ruth and Carey will be going out Sunday AM.
            We were thinking of putting in at Pineland. Maybe Pat would be
            interested also. We all live uin Cape coral.
          • Gerry Bauer
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
              Hey Scott
              I'm surely up for a paddle on Sunday.  As you know I bought Jeanette's Necky at Naples Play Day last Sunday and am dying to try it.  It's been such a long week (hahaha).  I'll check the site later for updates as to launch location and times.  If anyone plans on breakfast somewhere before the paddle please let me know....I'd love to join you.  Later....Gerry

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
                Anywhere is fine with me.  We can also put in at Jugg Creek Cottages in Bokeelia but they will charge $4.00 a person.

                Pat O

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
                  Cool! Workin' the message board! Sorry I can't make it, but... I
                  want to see trip reports! Gotta have trip reports! Oh, and I just
                  happen to know that there are a few photographers among you... so...
                  I'm also looking forward to seeing the results of your trip. Have fun!
                  Don
                • rkphelan@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
                    Hi All:

                    Sue and I are planning on Fishing on Saturday.  We will likely put-in at Pineland early am.  Look for a Sand Quest w/ a flag and a Red Pungo.

                    Has anyone put in at Fritts Park?  How is access / Parking?

                    Rob

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
                      I think I'd like to put in at the park at Tropical point and paddle over to Oyster Creek on the east shore (2 mi) and explore the mangrove tunnels heading over to the Cape Coral spreader canal. I hear tell that you can get thu there. If we were to the spreader and return it would be about 7 miles. (If anyone went on to Chupack's house it would also be a total of seven miles.)

                      Ruth and I will arrive at Tropical Point around 9:30. If anyone wants breakfast ahead of time, I have heard good things about a restuant you will pass in the Winn Dixie shoping center, on your left just after you turn south on Stringfellow. I think it's called Capt Mikes.

                      See ya'll Sunday.

                      Carey

                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 15, 2006
                        Hey, I'm all for that, but being new to the area, you will have to help me out with directions to Tropical Point.  Guess I better get a hold of some charts and maps of the area to keep up with all you guys and girls.  Scott

                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 16, 2006
                          --- In swflpc@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Leland" <atmoram@...> wrote:

                          > Hey, I'm all for that, but being new to the area, you will have to
                          help me out with directions to Tropical Point. Guess I better get a
                          hold of some charts and maps of the area to keep up with all you guys
                          and girls. Scott

                          Scott -
                          Good idea! It's always good to get charts, especially since you
                          will almost certainly be coming back to the area again. To get to
                          Tropical Point, Take Pine Island Rd. to the Island Center (stop sign -
                          you go any further and you soon run out of road). That's Stringfellow
                          Rd. Hang a left, going south for a couple of miles, then turn left on
                          Tropical Point Dr., and go to the water. That's it. Have fun!
                          Don't forget about the "manatee hole" that Brenda and I found
                          near there. It's an area of deep water, just north of Underhill
                          Creek, just north of the power line. The files area here has a very
                          basic map of Tropical Point, and a Calusa Land Trust chart of
                          Underhill Creek and Tropical Point.
                          Don
                        • Carey Parks
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 16, 2006
                            Hi Scott,

                            Thanks for the prod.  SWFLPC group has a database that (in theory) contains points of interest to paddlers and a log of trips, but since the initial activity when it was created, nothing has been added to it. So...

                            Go the the SWFLPC yahoo site. On the left, click "Database" and then select the "SWFLPC Spots" table. You can look thru it or enter "Tropical Point" in the search field at the top of the form (recommended.) This will display some information about the spot, including the GPS coordinates (you do have a GPS don't you?) and driving directions.

                            I have also created a photo album called "@Maps and Charts" where images helpful to finding spots and trips can be placed for easy reference. A map of the route to Tropical Point is there if you are a map person.

                            Like Don said, map person or not, get or make a chart of the area you will be paddling. SWFLPC has "official" trips, and just postings of individuals plans. In both cases you should arrive prepared to be the only person on the water that day. As they say, doo-doo happens, and you might have to find your way home by yourself. leepa.org aerial photos of the area you will be paddling are a BIG help, so if you can print some out to bring with you, it's a good idea. And a GPS was made for the mangroves.

                            See you Sunday

                            Carey

                            PS - Sorry for the duplication, but after writing the above I thought I'd make a general post to the members about the resources mentioned.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 18, 2006
                              Gerry, you better send me your e-mail address where I can write you
                              without fear of being accused of choking up the web-site with personal
                              messages. I loved the photos of Tropical Point. Next trip out, you
                              have to hand the camera off to me so we can get some photos of YOU and
                              your boat. Also, when you get that new camera you are talking about,
                              be sure to get a telephoto lens. AND, another camera comment. Can you
                              remember next time out paddling, as I couldn't, to take a picture of my
                              foot rest mechanism. I'll explain when I see you.

                              I promise, everyone, this is the last item.... Gerry, are you planning
                              on doing the paddle in Palm Beach this weekend. If not, let's go gater
                              hunting.

                              Scott
                            • Don
                              Message 14 of 17 , Sep 19, 2006
                                Hi Scott -
                                I'm glad to see some new people being active, and not afraid to
                                write - so much of the time, it's just me writing trip reports. I've
                                been trying to get others to write them too, but it's too few, and too
                                far between, in my opinion. The trip reports are an important archive
                                - a history of where we went, and what happened on those trips. If
                                anyone writing a report misses something, I encourage others to add to
                                those reports, just by clicking "reply" to the report. That will link
                                the reply to the original report. These can be accessed at any time,
                                either by doing a search here on the site, or by clicking on the
                                month/year below the message area.
                                It is a good idea, though, to build your list of club member's
                                e-mail adresses. Besides writing my "novels" about trips, I also
                                exchange personal e-mails with several club members, for messages that
                                may not necessarily pertain to the club as a whole. That does help
                                the people that either use dial-up, or use text messaging.
                                I definitely do want to encourage you, and other club members, to
                                post trip reports, pictures, etc. - anything that pertains to club
                                activities. That's what this message board is all about, isn't it?
                                Don
                              • Don
                                Message 15 of 17 , Sep 19, 2006
                                  > I definitely do want to encourage you, and other club members, to
                                  > post trip reports, pictures, etc. - anything that pertains to club
                                  > activities. That's what this message board is all about, isn't it?
                                  > Don

                                  I almost forgot - another important purpose for the message board
                                  is for hooking up with others for last-minute trips! Please feel free
                                  to post invitations & make connections for impromptu trips! If we
                                  only e-mail, or pick up the phone for these sorts of trips, how will
                                  we get to know other club members? We NEED more members taking an
                                  ACTIVE part in planning club trips - even impromptu ones.
                                  Don
                                • Gerry Bauer
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Sep 19, 2006
                                    Hey Scott
                                    My e-mail is gerrybauer33917@....  I'm not going to Palm Beach.  I plan on  paddling somewhere around here or maybe Deep Creek on Saturday or Sunday.  Either day works for me.  Talk with you via direct e-mail.....Gerry

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 28, 2010
                                      Rege, Scott and I paddled out of Tropical Point today.  Rege arrived just in time to get the last parking space.  We started off paddling in the mangroves on the south end of Little Pine Island which is where all the birds were wading and feeding.  The water was so skinny in parts we tried to judge the depth by how much of the birds legs were exposed as they walked about.  We crossed Matlacha Pass (sunny,no wind) paddled around, paddled in and out of Underhill Creek, paddled back across the pass (sunny and very windy).

                                      I haven't launched out of Tropical Point in awhile but here's the scoop on parking.  Vehicles without trailers can park at the end of the street on the left side in the designated parking area, if cars park close enough to each other there's room for 7 vehicles. Overflow parking is on Sabal between Citrus and Mango (beyond the no parking signs) which is also where cars with trailers can park.  Do not park to the left of the port-o-pottie or anywhere else you see a No Parking sign, the No Parking signs are pretty clear.