Tampabay area?

  • Cindy Carson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2006
      Hello,   My name is Cindy and I have been lurking here for quite a while.  I absolutely love the trip reports.  Unfortunately, I live in St. Petersburg and its difficult to make a trip to the Naples area for a paddle.  Someday my husband and I will, though.  We'd love to meet some of you!  You seem like a fun group.

      I am curious... are there any other people on this board from the Tampabay area?  My husband and I would love to meet some new people who enjoy kayaking and/or camping.  Does anyone know of an active group for our area?

      Cindy

    • Donna or Mike
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2006
        Tampa has a HUGE club. you are more than welcome eo come & paddle with us.   MIke Devlin
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2006
          Cindy -
                  I'm glad you decided to stop "lurking", and post a message... welcome!  This message is for all "out-of-the-area lurkers".  Tampa is a bit of a drive, but if you and your husband can make it for some of our trips, that would be great!  Since you are also interested in kayak camping, be sure to check out SWFLPC's other Yahoo group called the "Mangrove Navy" (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MangroveNavy/), which was created for those with kayak camping interests.  Camping season is coming soon, and if you are into the full-rustic camping scene (ie - no facilities, pack it in, take it out, leave nothing, take only pictures), we go to some of the most beautiful mangrove islands in the 10,000 islands.  When it comes to a weekend camping trip, what's a couple of extra hours getting to the launch site any way?  Many of our day trips are farther north than the Naples area - as a matter of fact, quite often, our Naples members will be travelling about as far as you would, to get to one of our launch sites - watch for when Mike Shaw posts the upcoming trips (as he just did), and join us when you are able.
               Some of our members are a bit more "connected" than I am, so hopefully, someone will be able to recommend a group in the Tampa Bay area.  One recommendation that I recently made to another of our "away" members, is that these Yahoo groups are perfect for organizing a club, and great for other clubs to be in contact with each other.  If you do manage to connect with a local group, starting up a Yahoo group for them would be a great way for you to contribute to that group - you know, participation is everything in a club.  For detailed instructions on how to do this, go to the "message history" section at the bottom of the main page, and click on Aug 2006.  Then navigate to message #990 - Re: Starting Your Own Yahoo Group.  It is a very easy thing to do, and either I can help you with it, or I'm sure Carey Parks would help too (though I doubt that you would need help - it's really quite simple).  Once it's set up, the message board is basically self-maintaining - there is really very little for the administrator to do.
               If you do get connected with a Tampa area group, don't forget us!  Send us an occasional trip report - we like to read them too - and be sure to invite us up there for some special trips or events.   We've been known to do road trips from time to time.  I hope to see you on the water!
          Don