9007Beginner Kayak Trip Offered

  • Teresa Krass
    Nov 25 6:29 AM
      Note Date is really Sunday, February 2nd....don't ask why I posted two other incorrect dates, just don't ask! Terri

      Beginner Kayak Trip Offered

      Everyone is invited to join the local paddling clubs for a beginner kayak trip on the Orange River on February 2nd. Terri Krass, Florida Master Naturalist, and Mike Devlin, President of the Paradise Coast Paddling Club are offering a free guided trip from Manatee Park into the Orange River where many manatees gather in the cooler weather. Parking is $1 per hour - pay at the machine at the park entrance. Everyone will meet at the kayak launch in the back of the park. The day will start at 9:30AM with a free basic kayak lesson presented by Mike Devlin. Topics covered include forward stoke techniques, safety, and boat maneuvering. Terri will discuss paddling with the manatees and how to safely interact with them. We plan to be on the water and ready to go at 10:30. You can bring your own kayak or rentals are available at Manatee Park - singles and tandems (2 person) boats. If you plan to rent, you should contact Manatee park (239-690-5030) and reserve a boat. Everyone must wear a PFD (life jacket), which will come with all rental boats. Bring water, sunscreen and It is a good idea to bring a waterproof container for your car keys! After the trip plan to join us at a local restaurant "So Then We Can Eat"! This a fun trip designed to give everyone an opportunity to enjoy kayaking. We will also have information available about our kayak clubs and additional trips that are planned. We hope to see you at the boat launch at Manatee Park, Sunday, February 2nd at 9:30.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic