SVWA Newsletter - 2011-08-04

  • SV Women's Association
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2011

      SVWA

      1. Introduction to Scrum: Agile Project Management Methodology Seminar - 2011/08/09 12pm-1:30pm, San Jose

      2. 硅谷女性协会将于2011813日参加北加州華人文化體育協會運動大會開幕入場式

      3. An appreciation letter from SVWA President to the ambassadors to Shin Shin SVWA School

      4. Silicon Valley Women Association 10 Years Anniversary Celebration – 2011/09/27

      1. Introduction to Scrum: Agile Project Management Methodology Seminar

      Date: 2011/08/09
      Time: 12 - 1:30 PM
      Location: 4400 N 1ST ST, RM 1066 SAN JOSE, CA 95134
      Cost: Free
      RSVP on Evite: http://new.evite.com/#view_invite:eid=013EAAQZXGK5ZY3KGEPAWSFP6ESOSQ
      We have limited seats so please RSVP early and registration list will close on 8/8 11:59 PM. Only people who are on the RSVP list will be accepted into the seminar.

      Note: If you would like to join us for group ordering lunch it will be from 11:30 - 12:00 and please pre-pay. Please send payment via Paypal at this link: http://svwaaug2011.eventbrite.com/

      Agenda:
      1.       Goals
      2.       Why Scrum, and Where it Fits
      3.       Scrum from Basic Principles
      4.       Description of Scrum
      5.       Q&A

      Speaker's bio:

      Kevin Thompson, Ph.D. | cPrime
      Agile Practice Lead
      Project Management Professional
      Certified Scrum Professional
      Certified Scrum Master

      Dr.Thompson is the Agile Practice Lead for cPrime, a company that provides training and consulting services in Project Management. He has a doctorate in Physics from Princeton University, and extensive background in managing software development projects. Dr. Thompson helps companies make the challenging transition to agile development, by working with development teams and business stakeholders to define and implement the right process for their business.

      Dr. Thompson has Project Management Professional (PMP), Scrum Master (CSM), and Scrum Practitioner (CSP) certifications. He has conducted many workshops on Scrum for PMI Silicon Valley, and for companies ranging in size from very small to very large.

      And here's a brief description of SVWA (http://svwomen.org/svwomen/):
      SVWA was founded back in 2001 and this marks the 10th year of the organization. Over the years we have lots of great events which closely in line with our mission.
      The mission of the Association is focused on Charity, Community Services and Culture/Art, to organize various activities in educational fields, community services, diversified culture, professional development, healthcare; to establish relationship with other non-profit organizations or associations; to enrich members’ visions and lives; to share and appreciate members own culture and heritage.

      Sponsoring Sister Organizations:
      CNetwork (http://www.cnetwork.org/)
      Tsinghua Alumni Association of Northern California (THAA-NC - http://www.tsinghua-nc.org/ )
      FDAANC (Fudan University Alumni association of Northern California - http://www.fdaanc.org/ )

      Thanks for the support from SJAAN.

      SVWA Team

      2. 硅谷女性协会将于2011813日参加北加州華人文化體育協會運動大會開幕入場式

      亲愛的会员们, 继承硅谷儿女性协会多年来的传统,我们将率团队参加2011年北加州華人文化體育協會運動大會。 请全体会员在以下时间地点集合。带上你们的家人朋友,参加开幕式游行,观看表演,参与游戏.開幕入場式之后,我们将前往Hometown Buffet一起吃中饭。

      时间: 2011813日上午九時
      地点: 東灣聯合市James Logan High School田徑場 1800 H St., Union City ,CA 94587
      主席台对面硅谷女性协会大旗和Banner下面

      中饭集合地点:
      Hometown Buffet
      1604 Decoto Road
      Union City, CA 94587
      (510) 441-1151
      (close to Alvarado Niles and Marina Food grocery store.)

      3. An appreciation letter from SVWA President to our ambassadors to Shin Shin School

      Dear SVWA BOD and Members,

      I am honored to express SVWA’s gratification for Lily’s hospitality for a warmhearted gathering at her grand residence last Sunday. Other than social networking and meeting two of our Guests of Honors, Vickie from Shin Shin, and Helen, SVWA’s long time supporter, we were very pleased to be briefed the trip report and video presented by Lily and her son, Albert. It was very heartfelt hearing the principal telling us that many children educated from the school are now grown-ups working at different places, and are reciprocating with their accomplishments and contributions that became the major driving force propelling the education system in that area. Furthermore, they were impressed and intrigued by Albert’s demonstration of strong independency and competency at such young age, which in turn trigger their eagerness for learning American pedagogy methodologies and theories. This definitely is much more profound impact than what was anticipated by SVWA when it first started this initiative 10 years ago.

      With this appreciation letter to Lily and Albert, also serve as a small journal report, I’d like to ask for SVWA BOD and members’ continuous support in working together with me to not only sustain SVWA’s missions, but to grow the organization by recruiting more people like Lily and Albert, to dissipate SVWA’s influence across China and USA, and eventually around the globe!

      Sincerely Yours,
      Shue Han Chou, PMP, CSM
      SVWA President

      4.  Silicon Valley Women Association 10 Years Anniversary Celebration

      9/27/2011, 12 – 3 PM

      Guest of Honor Speaker: Lilly Cook, Image Consultant –
      “Change Your Image, and You’ll Change Your Life!!!”
      Also featuring Big Boys Band & many other outstanding performers for great entertainment!!!
      $25 Per Person, Lunch Included.
      Contact: Shue Han Chou - shuehanchou@... or 650 892 2149
      Alice Sondberg - sunnyalice518@...  or 510 579 9758

      SVWA conducts yearly fund- raising activities to support its missions of disseminating cultural and charity events helping those in needs.  This year will be SVWA 10th birthday, and we hope with your participation, we can make the biggest fund raising achievement we ever have!   Please visit www.svwomen.org to learn about the special project of 硅谷女性欣欣小學 (ShinShin School), the main purpose of this event.

      SVWA, a group by the women, and for the women!
      Website: http://www.svwomen.org
      Contact: svwomen@...