Sat 1/16/2010, Book for Jan – The Kite Runn er

  • soulake
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2009

      59th SVWomen Bookclub Meeting

      When: Sat 1/16/2010, 10:00 pm (3rd Sat of Jan)

      Who: Members or nonmembers, book lovers or book haters, male or female, everybody is welcome. Even you don’t read the book you still can come over to talk about related experiences.

      Where: Mission City Coffee, 2221 The Alameda , San Jose , CA95050. Right off 880. Close to the San Jose airport

      What: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

      The book or the book on tape should be available in the library.

      Note: Many of you might be like me, reading a novel is a luxurious thing to do. I have borrowed this book before but didn’t go beyond one or two pages. Finally I managed to finish this book on the road during Thanksgiving – no, I didn’t read it while driving, instead I listened to the tape. For the comment, I’d like to borrow a few words from amazon.com: “Hosseini has created characters that seem so real that one almost forgets that The Kite Runner is a novel and not a memoir.” This was exactly how I felt therefore I found the story was so powerful. I haven’t watched the movie the Kite Runner yet but will do so to compare the visual effect of the story to the writing.

      Amazon:

      http://www.amazon.com/Kite-Runner-Illustrated-Khaled-Hosseini/dp/1594489602/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259975944&sr=1-1

      Reminder: Amazon.com users, please help our poor kids in China by shopping through this link http://www.ocef.org/newocef/en/shoptohelp.html. It’s only one more click in addition to your regular shopping procedure. It doesn’t cost you anything, just one click extra and you are helping Chinese students back home. Amazon would make donation based on your order.

      To newcomers:

                                  To receive the notice for future meetings and other culture events, please join our

                                  yahoo group svw-BookYuan (Bookyuan Reading Club) at:

      Contact: soulake@... or 408-480-5238