56th Book Discussion–The Alchemist-Thu 9/17 /09

  • soulake
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2009
      56th SVWomen Bookclub Meeting

      When: Thursday, 9/17/09, 7:30 pm

      Who: SVWomen bookclub members or nonmembers. Everybody is welcome.

      Where: Mission City Coffee, 2221 The Alameda , San Jose , CA95050. A couple of exits south of SJ airport on 880.

      What: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

      It’s an international best seller. Very easy to read and of course short – not much of vocabulary which could be a decision factor to read or not to read for me. It’s a novel however I would categorize it between self-help and novel. It’s about dream searching, stimulating to the middle-aged us. I like it a lot and highly recommend it to everyone.

      Amazon:

      http://www.amazon.com/Alchemist-Paulo-Coelho/dp/0061122416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244584720&sr=1-1

      Contact: soulake@... or 408-480-5238

      Excerpts from The Alchemist

      Page 76

      People need not fear the unknown if they are capable of achieving what they need and want.

      We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it’s our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand

      One always had something that the other needed – as if everything were indeed written by one hand.

      Once you get into the desert, there’s no going back. And, when you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward. The rest is up to Allah, including the danger.

      Page 78

      That’s the principle that governs all thing. In alchemy, it’s called the Soul of the World. When you want something with all your heart, that’s when you are closest to the Soul of the World. It’s always a positive force.

      Page 84

      I’m alive. When I’m eating, that’s all I think about. If I’m on the march, I just concentrate on marching. If I have to fight, it will be just as good a day to die as any other.

      Because I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man.

      Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living right now.

      Page 130

      Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.

      When I have been truly searching for my treasure, every day has been luminous, because I’ve known that every hour was a part of the dream that I would find it. When I have been truly searching for my treasure, I’ve discovered things along the way that I never would have seen had I not had the courage to try things that seemed impossible for a shepherd to achieve.

      All people who are happy have God within them. That happiness could be found in a grain of sand from the desert, as the alchemist had said. Because a grain of sand is a moment of creation, and the universe has taken millions of years to create it. Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him. We, people’s hearts, seldom say much about those treasures, because people no longer want to go in search of them. We speak of them only to children. Later, we simply let life proceed, in its own direction, toward its own fate. But, unfortunately, very few follow the path laid out for them – the path to their Personal Legends, and to happiness.

      Most people see the world as a threatening place, and, because they do, the world turns out, indeed, to be a threatening place.

      So, we, their hearts, speak more and more softly, We never stop speaking out, but we begin to hope that our words won’t be heard: we don’t want people to suffer because they don’t follow their hearts.

      Why don’t people’s hearts tell them to continue to follow their dreams

      Because that’s what makes a heart suffer most, and hearts don’t like to suffer.

      From then on, the boy understood his heart. He asked it, please, never to stop speaking to him.

      Page 150

      That’s what alchemists do. They show that, when we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better, too.

      Love is a force that transforms and improves the Soul of the World.

      Because when we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

      Mission City Coffee Roasting Co

      Address

      2221 The Alameda , San Jose , CA95050

      Website

      http://www.missioncitysc.com/search/label/Location

      Direction

      880 – Exit at The Alameda – Turn right if you are from north – About 0.4 miles from 880.

      Right by Santa Clara University . A few exits south of SJ airport on 880.

      Parking

      In the back of the shop

      Note, if you prefer a different time for the meetings please let me know soulake@.... Your input is always welcome. Thank you.)