recruit short term TAs for educational program in China

  • Lipingxiong
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2006
      Dear friends:

      I am volunteering for a non-profit orgranization called Shinshin
      educational foundation. I am the program manager for
      Hunan English Teacher Training program and this year
      we will recruit volunteers from the Bay area to assist
      English teaching in Changde, Hunan in China. TAs need to commit one
      to two weeks to join training program in China and facilitate
      training of Elementary school teachers. Each TA can pick the time
      slots that work for him/her within the program time frame from May 08
      to July 06, 2006. Attached
      please find the program overview. If you are
      interested or if you know of someone who will be
      interested, please let me know.

      Thanks,

      Liping (Allie) Xiong

      Hunan ETT program overview:

      The Shin Shin English Teacher's Training Program will
      be held at ChangDe Normal School, in ChangDe, Hunan
      from 5//8/2006 to 7-6/2006. It's an 8 week program. We
      will utilize local teaching resource for main
      instruction. In addition, we will recruit Short Term
      Teaching Assistants from the Bay area and send them to
      Changde, Hunan to assist the English teaching. Each TA
      will need to commit one week to two weeks for the ETT
      program in Hunan.

      Mission:
      Assist English teaching for Hunan English
      Teacher Training (ETT) program. By conduct in class or
      outside class training program the Teaching Assistants
      shall:
      -Raise interests in English study among students
      -Help students improve their English skills
      -Help students understand American/western culture
      -Monitor the students progress in English skills
      during ETT program

      Duty:
      1) Assist regular local teachers in English teaching
      and help students to improve:
      -Spelling, vocabulary and grammar
      -Oral English
      -English Listening
      -Reading and comprehension skills
      2) Help raise students?interest in English learning
      through programs such as discussion, role play, etc.
      3) Tutoring students outside classes, for example,
      evening group study, and guide them to solve problems
      in English study.
      4) Help students gain some basic knowledge about
      understand American/western culture, and share with
      students stories about American life.
      5) Facilitate the weekend activities with students
      6) Serve as a bridge between Shinshin US and Hunan ETT
      program

      Qualifications:
      1) Solid English skills and can carry out English
      teaching.
      2) Have volunteer spirit. Able to commit one or two
      week to facilitate teaching in Changde, Hunan, China
      between May 8 and July 6
      3) Good American culture and history background.
      4) Responsive, mature and patient. Good communication
      skills.
      5) Have teaching experience is a plus.
      6) Preferably can speak some Chinese.