Printing Problems in OS 10.1.2

  • garyccunninghamx
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      I have a Laserwriter II NTX printer connected to a Mac G4 desktop.
      I can print in OS 9 or "Classic". I can not print in OS 10.1.2. I
      think I need a driver for the NTX printer. I called AppleCare and
      they had no solution. Does anyone have any ideas?

      Gary Cunningham

      garyccunninghamx@...
    • Robert Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
        The laserwriter driver included with the Mac OS X installation should be
        satisfactory for any laserwriter compatiable printer, connected using
        the Appletalk protocol on ethernet. The Laserwriter II NTX I believe
        qualifies, though I have not tried that particular printer. I have setup
        LaserJets, Kodaks, Teks, using the supplied drivers - the supplied set
        seems to be fairly comprehensive . Does the printer show up in the
        printer list when you choose "add printer" in the print center
        application? Be sure to select on "appletalk" as opposed to "Directory
        Services" or "LPR using IP".

        On Friday, February 1, 2002, at 08:06 AM, garyccunninghamx wrote:

        > I have a Laserwriter II NTX printer connected to a Mac G4 desktop.
        > I can print in OS 9 or "Classic".  I can not print in OS 10.1.2.  I
        > think I need a driver for the NTX printer.  I called AppleCare and
        > they had no solution.  Does anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > Gary Cunningham
        >
        > garyccunninghamx@...
        >

        > This has been a mailing from the BMUG South discussion group.

      • Cunningham, Gary C.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
          The printer does not show up on the printer list, appletalk is on.  I talked to Farallon and they said I need a driver.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2002
            There is a work-around for printers that work on "Classic", not on OSX
            and no apparent drivers.

            I have a GCC laserwriter attached to my ethernet through an Asente
            appletalk bridge. When I upgraded to OSX, this printer would not print
            because it would get a postscript error. I was told by Apple that
            postscript has changed and that this was the cause. GCC and Asente knew
            nothing. I finally figured a workaround that should be useful for other
            printers that will print under classic but not OSX.
            First, install Adobe Reader 5.x. In the information dialog box to the
            reader application, select the check box labeled "Open in the Classic Environment"
            Next, in any OSX native application, select print and when the print
            dialog comes up, select preview. (Note this is different than selecting
            "Preview" in the file menu). Selecting preview will bring up Adobe
            Reader running in Classic mode, where your printer should print.
            This just extended the lifetime of my old and dependable printer, until
            classic goes away or reader stops supporting this mode.

            Ric Smith Voice:408-779-0332
            GUI Designer
            Morgan Hill, Ca <mailto:ric@...>