BRAVO, APPLE! OS X 10.8.4 restores "SAFE BOOT" to my MacBook Pro

  • Len
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2013
      I had just completed both a Time Machine backup and a SuperDuper! bootable clone backup, when I discovered this afternoon that Apple had released OS X 10.8.4.

      After the usual preparations to avoid installation problems, I used the Combo Updater to install OS X 10.8.4. Then, I made another Time Machine backup.

      I then tested Safe Boot on my June 2012 13.3 inch MacBook Pro, and it is finally working again!

      For those that don't remember my previous posts, I was one of those that applied Apple's OS X 10.8.2 updater that Apple subsequently recalled. I lost the ability to Safe Boot, the progress bar stopping about half way through, even after 4 hours.

      I had thought that by using the OS X 10.8.3 Combo updater when it was released many months later, that this might solve the problem. It didn't, even after a second Combo update install.

      So, I'm really happy that Apple has FINALLY solved this problem for me. I only wonder, why did it take sooooooo…..long?!!!

      Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
      Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
      http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
      Broker, DRE#00460258

      RE/MAX Real Estate Services
      19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
      Cupertino, CA 95014

      Past Director, California Association of REALTORS®
      President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®

      408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
      408-252-9819 Fax
    • Len
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2013
        I had not known that my former problem with Safe Boot not working, was specific to high RAM systems. My MacBook Pro has 8 GB RAM. I discovered this post on macintosh.com:

        <<David Losada Soler
        10.8.4 fixes the bug preventing safe boot in Macs with large amounts of RAM.>>

        Thanks,
        Len