Upgrading from Quicken 2002 to 2007 Lion Compatible-SUCCESS!!!

  • Len
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2013
      This is a followup on another thread, asking for help in contacting a live person at Intuit tech support. I had a friend in Southern California with an old MacBook Pro running Quicken 2002, who had also purchased a new 13.3 inch MacBook Pro (non-Retina), which is still in the box. She is signed up for Apple One-to-One, and will be returning to have the Apple Store for them do her setup and transfer of data from two old MacBook Pro's.

      Thanks to an SVMUG member who furnished us with a Quicken 2005 installer and 2005 R4 and R6 updaters, last night we successfully completed the update of Quicken 2002 to Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible on her old 2007 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. She was backing up with Time Machine to an Apple Time Capsule, but we had to accomplish the first upgrade to Quicken 2005 while she was staying out of town, with only a couple of USB Thumb drives to make interim small file backups to.

      Note that the underlying problem was that Mountain Lion on my friend's new MacBook Pro won't run the Apple Rosetta Power PC emulator, which Quicken 2002 and 2005 require. Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible (also compatible with Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion) runs native Intel code, but can only use data files from Quicken 2005, 2006 or 2007 (original version), when running Snow Leopard. We had to get Quicken 2007 Lion compatible running on her old MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, so the data file could be used on her new MacBook Pro, soon to have Quicken 2007 Lion compatible installed on it.

      I'm not an Apple Consultant, and certainly am unaccustomed to the difficulties of giving tech support via phone, without any application to display the contents of the other user's screen. For the benefit of SVMUG members, I will give a general outline of the steps we took to the successful end result.

      1. Made sure that her Time Machine backup was up to date to her Time Capsule. At various points in the two step upgrade process, also had her make Time Machine backups and also copy files to a USB thumb drive. She didn't have her old Quicken 2002 Install DVD.

      2. Had her run Apple Disk Utility Verify Disk, to make sure her file system wasn't corrupted. Then, Repaired Permissions with Disk Utility.

      3. Since I didn't know if her existing Quicken 2002 data file had any corruption, used the Quicken key combination to rebuild her Quicken 2002 data file (At the end, I've pasted in the instructions from the Quicken 2007 Lion compatible Help file, which I knew hadn't changed since 2002.).

      4. Ran the Quicken 2005 updater, followed by the Quicken 2005 R4 Updated and Quicken 2005 R6 Updater. Tested the updated data file.

      5. Made sure that everything was backed up in multiple places and Repaired Permissions, again.

      6. Purchased Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible Download version for $14.99 from

      http://quicken.intuit.com/personal-finance-software/quicken-2007-osx-lion.jsp

      7. Ran the Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible Installer. Everything worked! Backup up everything in multiple places.

      8. Ran Check for Updates inside Quicken 2007 Lion Compatible and noted that there were none. The purchased download apparently incorporated an update that I had to install earlier on my own MacBook Pro.

      WHEW!!!! Many years of tax data were saved, and it now looks easy to get this running on the new MacBook Pro.

      I hope that this general outline is enough to help anyone else in a similar situation. While it should help others recover their old data, perhaps we should start thinking of a long term solution involving a reliable vendor who is committed to the Mac platform?

      HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS ON REBUILDING THE QUICKEN DATA FILE, COPIED FROM THE QUICKEN 2007 LION COMPATIBLE HELP FILE (We never had to resort to QIF Exports and Imports).

      <<Performing data file maintenance
      Show more detail
      Rebuild your data file
      Open your Quicken data file.
      Choose Lists > Accounts, and then hold down the Command, Option, and B keys simultaneously.
      Choose File > Save a Copy.
      Click OK.
      Enter a name for your new Quicken data file.
      Click Save.
      Choose File > Open File.
      Select the newly created file and click Open.
      Check to see that the file problems you were experiencing are gone. If you are still experiencing problems with your data file, you can export your information to a QIF file and then import the QIF file into a new file.
      Export your data to a QIF file
      Open your Quicken data file.
      Choose File > Export > To QIF.
      Enter a name for a temporary file that will contain the exported information.
      Click Save.
      Import the QIF file into a new data file
      Choose File > New > File to create your new data file.
      Enter a name for the new file, and then click Save.
      When the New Account Assistant appears, click Cancel, and then click Close.
      Choose File > Import > From QIF.
      Select the QIF file you just exported, and then click Open.
      Check the new file to ensure the problems you were experiencing are resolved. If the problems are resolved, continue to use this file as your main data file from now on.
      Notes
      You will have to reestablish all scheduled transactions (for example, QuickFill transactions, loan setups, online account setups and memorized reports). These are not carried over through the export/import feature.>>

      Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

      Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
      Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
      http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
      Broker, DRE#00460258

      RE/MAX Real Estate Services
      19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
      Cupertino, CA 95014

      Director, California Association of REALTORS®
      President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®

      408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
      408-252-9819 Fax
    • Len