Fwd: UG News: Get Your Free Books + More from O'Reilly

  • Robert Brown
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2012
      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
      Date: 2012 December 1 4:00:53 PM PST

      View this information as HTML in your browser, click here:
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztknctm2jccq010tp83b4dplcem8rjgd48oud0vo

      Forward this announcement to a friend:
      http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1z4n20i92p6gaaf75i69j163h69a7k8jvms4002e0

       Jon will be at MongoSV December 5 and AnDevCon IV December 6-7 -
      come by our booth and say hi.
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2an2nitsa21qa4vvdq9t59fdn772ng5oq5kga0o
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbkmatmeq5sakt4b8s314ja0pgi6omtsposvs07g

      Available for Review

      The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books.
      Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or
      your blog.

      Enterprise Search
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmg4lshb72s7gk2m7mdpjitp99vs17ba6fnts2fg

      Effective Monitoring and Alerting
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zph0l8fkrrogglpoqp8eim1ff8uutiet02srei8g

      iOS SDK Development
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfr5hngmlh9o9d5hfjshf9ramvuoua8lbibbnle0

      It's easy for you to request books for your meetings or special events--
      just email usergroups@... and include the words "book request"
      in the subject line. Don't forget to include your deadline and shipping
      address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free ebook certificate to
      print out for raffles or book reviewers.

      New Releases

      iPad: The Missing Manual, 5th Edition
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zacv8nobefbu2m20en683aeuncfl0s6ao1bofio0

      MapReduce Design Patterns
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlctq25jklffgfc9jmv5im591fvv2ivvtg9nuqco

      Building Web, Cloud, and Mobile Solutions with F#
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuf07cn4aao5ai8ve32gjaruoe8s885nvtig4bno

      Interactive Data Visualization for the Web
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9nk7o4rdqekasdskd64juqd87qo2f0eb6ujpsf0

      iOS 6 Programming Cookbook
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs7k5qakukjdb96tjvstnj33s7pcqu912bhiq438

      Atmospheric Monitoring with Arduino
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg402lqdm95c9ie0n3fic30qbggc4lgvmfskaik8

      New Code podcast on Elm

      Functional programming for web development? Yes. Elm, the new language
      from Evan Czaplicki looks to take over longstanding heavyweights like
      HTML, CSS, and JavaScript! Rachel Roumeliotis, Senior Editor, has posted
      a new podcast all about Elm, and it is getting some interesting comments.
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj337n5nbgffq0m0vevo1lmb0strugo1gbk45i70

      Community Leadership Summit West 2013

      The Community Leadership Summit West is coming up in January - you can
      find the active Google Group here. If you know of any regional Community
      events happening, please let us know, and if you're coming to CLS West,
      we'll see you there.
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z685nhqn0l4teomjoo192esviofjbc4p1rvs3isg

      RedHat Summit 2013

      RedHat announced the call for papers is now open for the ninth-annual
      Red Hat Summit, to be held June 10-14, 2013 in Boston. Submit your proposal
      here.
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmrsu1b12640ivqnu1q1pino9n9u3j3hebgh2t78
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs6pbluma1lpegcfhd46rv8tatvgl1fji27vea1o

      A Developer's Introduction to User-Centered Design

      Join "User-Centered Design" author Travis Lowdermilk as he explores how to
      effectively work with users in creating products they'll love.

      Presented by:  Travis Lowdermilk
      Approx. 60 min.
      Cost: Free
      Tuesday, December 11, 2012
      10AM PT, San Francisco
      Learn More:
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zeed9i51p3c1ie4esv173n3log2i52mudho1nqbg

      O'Reilly Ebooks - Your bookshelf on your devices

      Lifetime access. Free Updates. Multiple DRM-free formats. Buy 1 Ebook,
      Get 1 Free with your user group discount code: DSUG2 Learn More
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zomc2r6qhlq93ig7fm5hkpu1qa2nokulsk9dgut8

      Looking for more? Visit oreilly.com.

      ==================================
      O'Reilly
      800-998-9938
      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpsh3dcrpdoduco1njadtafqb47hj6nvj9or0vfo
      Follow us on Twitter @oreillyug
    • Robert Brown
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 16, 2012
        Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

        Below is the latest from O'Reilly. Reminder: Mac Expo is coming up. Will you be attending? http://www.macworldiworld.com Show to held January 31 to February 2.

        -- Robert Brown
        -- Editor for SVMUG

        Begin forwarded message:

        From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
        Date: December 15, 2012 4:00:46 PM PST

        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv9kr92rnse2glja8s6loq18aemgdjvb2n66kl8o

        Send this to a friend
        http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zbpl41qs0cu94j5rq2ttu95chrqrh176gguf71v8

        Hello,

        The Lean Series, curated by Eric Ries, is a collection of books written by
        the best people in the field, on topics that matter. The authors dive down
        into Lean Startup implementation-level details, providing readers with
        information they can immediately put to use. We'll be releasing the next two
        books in the series soon. They are "Lean Analytics" and "Lean UX" and we've
        got samples available to share with you and your members. Here's the online
        Lean Series sampler. We can also get a few print copies to your next in-person.
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zc491agigst807ou2s7krpms8vom5mm8d6brr5eo
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpg4k8n994q3enfrfvomst83dtj90in3fp381hu8

        Cheers,

        --Marsee Henon & Jon Johns

        Available for Review

        The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books. Consider
        posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or your blog.

        Getting Started with MakerBot
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9ivfqd89c0amm9vff2t4f042p1deqhhb1t6igr0

        Windows PowerShell Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z249ijtm4l2ikps2uror9a7v827i3tnv0i3ucvo8

        Interactive Data Visualization for the Web
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4ec2nl9dmlhhu2gohge39526cmjtfqr9ivsn5p0

        It's easy for you to request books for your meetings or special events--just
        email usergroups@... and include the words "book request" in the
        subject line. Don't forget to include your deadline and shipping address.
        Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free ebook certificate to print out for
        raffles or book reviewers.

        New Releases

        The Photograph, 2nd Edition
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs9nu1ep3nmhsqi5m0dkvtdsc7rr50rtnajhn2q0

        Learning Cocoa with Objective-C, 3rd Edition
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuo0usvrchughu868s7cnq6nj3l5s84iv4dvkrsg

        Developing Business Intelligence Apps for SharePoint
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3ujohd4qts8dhsfrmve5fk6ou87kgnl6pkvqmm0

        Enterprise Search
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z05j14ohrap516dv37dak7u78mfjrhiv8fr4kqco

        iPad: The Missing Manual, 5th Edition
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbm7e0bfudkuamn5b96s22g8h5fge9emknvhrr9o

        See What I Mean
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z60q4nuo03ien94khdcqgpatrmjc440j8i9lstag

        Happy Holidays from O'Reilly

        We're proud to share our 2012 holiday card, designed this year to honor our
        O'Reilly Animals Project. Feel free to send it around.
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z40fqif2spsp6i7et92blidbingq2vurcs9j4ud0
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbmm12uh1jvsq6rn40im879etsqrnag23qsm3ug0

        Our next UG newsletter will come to you on January 5, 2013.

        OSCON CFP (July 22-26, Portland, OR)

        In 2013, there will be roughly 400 speakers at OSCON. Should you be one of
        them? If you have a new idea, a better way to do something, an interesting
        and instructive case study (battle scars optional), or the desire to pass on
        your hard-won knowledge, submit a proposal to lead conference sessions or
        tutorials. You don't need to be a guru or experienced speaker, it's enough
        to have something worthwhile to share and the desire to communicate it to
        others.
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdo9lnddm9b193cpfos6j0af1rdumon1qdtld280

        Microsoft Press Seeking Exam Ref Authors & Technical Editors

        Microsoft Press is currently seeking authors and technical editors for some
        of our Exam Refs that will help prepare candidates for the new developer
        exams. If you are interested or if you know people whom you think would be
        good for inclusion in such books and you can provide introductions, please
        contact Russell Jones at b-rujone@...
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztucneomkj0eje6t0l6cpidu04lbaj5aruo9599o

        Velocity Conference CFP (June 18-20, Santa Clara, CA)

        The Call for Participation is open for Velocity 2013 in Santa Clara. If you
        have big ideas, lessons learned, or expertise to share about the present and
        future of Web Performance, Operations, DevOps, or Mobile, send us a proposal
        by January 10.  We're also pleased as punch to announce that Velocity is
        coming to NYC in 2013. Save the date -- October 14-16, 2013.
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmss99isscunst5uurkvrji9vomkd86sbtbip228

        Webcast: How EMI is Changing the Culture of the Music Industry

        Presented by: David Boyle
        Duration: Approx. 60 min.
        Cost: Free
        Tuesday, January 8, 2013 10AM PT, San Francisco

        Join David Boyle as he looks at how EMI changed itself, and the music industry,
        by moving from gut instinct and opinions to a data-informed business. He'll
        share how data is used to sign new artists and to help the giants, and how EMI
        used simple data, processes, and visualizations to encourage cultural change.
        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ziom1eplr843vj9sbiu4uiu6r8q33uvbs501gjk8

        Buy 1 Ebook, Get 1 Free with your user group discount code: DSUG2

        Looking for more? Visit oreilly.com.

        ==================================
        O'Reilly 1005 Gravenstein Highway North,
        Sebastopol, CA 95472 800-998-9938
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 20, 2013
          Begin forwarded message:

          From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
          Date: January 20, 2013 4:00:03 PM PST

          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgplrfl7afm4cep32p98mriutg1au5ads1rtbmko

          Send this to a friend
          http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zkc0eina67og8ls5opdfbi6iskd1i37qubo2rcag

          Hello,

          Looking for free resources on the latest topics? Don't forget we have an
          extensive webcast program here at O'Reilly. Not only can you see what we'll
          be covering in the next few weeks, but you can also access our previous
          events.  Interested in a topic but can't make the time? Sign up anyway and
          we'll send you the link to view it as soon as we can. If you have an idea
          for a webcast, please let us know and we'll pass it along to Yasmina Greco
          for future consideration. And don't forget to sign up for the email list
          too. Find out all about it on our webcast page.
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zitsr3enoebdve3tj9085pp2mslc2jh3vtjb4hro

          Cheers,

          --Marsee Henon & Jon Johns

          P.S. If you're into databases and relational theory, we've got a deal
          running on all C.J. Date titles in honor of his latest release, View
          Updating and Relational Theory.
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlq2bqb7sot3jmvas5f836cqfssvip47vchm2tpg

          Available for Review

          The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books. Consider
          posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or your blog.

          Building Node Applications with MongoDB and Backbone
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zru0s69gtf4eo36baac3ehgkdqf35v3nfepe7680

          Active Directory
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zffr20nllb3plkr830ltu4btg68rvq2f3vavtauo

          Programming PHP
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhg6p5ton7h17hv0145s8n263i2o2u68fo0p9eo8

          It's easy for you to request books for your meetings or
          special events--just email usergroups@... and include the words "book
          request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your deadline and
          shipping address.  Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free ebook certificate
          to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

          New Releases

          Content Everywhere
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9v40l769kmv0ov9u49mehbgjuh09itgt2ug835o

          Designing Games
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znr5qgmnrnulncuj1um8i2fp9bmn1n4q6audk1o8

          Puppet Types and Providers
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z282irafhbe5b9b8g931j1fl7jfbkarfd238jei0

          Master Your Mac
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmrpag24dqthm89c3o2k1fj11qfln7pi3f5jf3t0

          Programmer's Guide to Drupal
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze8960u6mscdjc42cddfe0oc2k8sqtd369o5ah1g

          How Not to Program in C++
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zduid9fcosdtq8guev1cj46dtups03d2hr26tn0g

          WebVisions NYC (Feb 27-Mar 1, New York City)

          Looking to inspire your creative side? WebVisions explores the future of
          design, content creation, user experience and business strategy in an event
          that inspires learning, collaboration and entrepreneurism. Since 2001,
          they've built a loyal audience of designers, developers and industry
          leaders. The NYC event is coming up at the end of February. Check out their
          site for details.
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zca2nk5fiprbumtg0u3u1vd5ekbg1pqh0na4sg5o

          An Event Apart Atlanta (Feb 18-20, Atlanta, GA)

          An Event Apart Atlanta is an intensely educational learning session for
          passionate practitioners of standards-based web design. If you care about
          code as well as content, usability as well as design, An Event Apart is the
          conference you've been waiting for. Join us for twelve great speakers and
          sessions, plus an optional day-long workshop on multi-device web design. See
          the full agenda for details.
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zi510anv4cehhbgvgm3l955a7ujgomjcbnisff8g

          O'Reilly Media's Code Podcast Series

          The O'Reilly Media Code Podcast series presents thoughts, ideas, and
          conversations about issues facing coders, software developers, and
          programmers. These segments feature O'Reilly Media editors interviewing
          alpha geeks and leaders in code on emerging tech, new languages, and
          insights from those experts. Each week, you'll hear an intriguing guest's
          point of view and useful information about coding.
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1tn93mplqhg5jqqu2t4p1mq38dml6f9m1f4ath8

          LinuxFest Northwest (Apr 27-28, Bellingham, WA)

          LinuxFest Northwest is entering their 14th year and is expanding into a
          larger space with a bigger exhibit hall and roomier presentation rooms.
          Contact them directly if you'd like to help. They have many volunteer
          opportunities available. You should consider sponsoring LFNW. It's a great
          way to get the word out about your company to the greater Pacific Northwest
          Linux community. And if you haven't already--register today!
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zelclgl5vh3f8jmq22tv10qqjs2rg4j7oobs606g

          Webcast: Secrets of Product Management

          Presented by: Chris Vander Mey
          Duration: Approx. 60 min.
          Cost: Free

          Thursday, January 24, 2013 10AM PT, San Francisco

          Join us for a live webcast presented by Chris Vander Mey, author of
          "Shipping Greatness" as he provides key insights as an engineering and
          product manager at Google and Amazon. Chris will share techniques and best
          practices learned on the job to help you plan, execute, and manage better,
          so that you can ship great products.
          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp5e3it5ujme3h8392e3o8ve57n937k620ss0l88

          Message 4 of 29 , Jan 27, 2013
            Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

            Below you will find the latest from O'Reilly.

            Going to MacRorld/iWorld Expo? Like to meet up? Let fellow SVMUG and SMUB members know on your respective mailing lists.

            I will there on Wednesday for a workshop, and on Friday and Saturday.

            Make a note of the new discount code for eBooks, shown below.

            -- Robert Brown
            -- editor for SVMUG

            Begin forwarded message:

            From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
            Date: January 26, 2013 4:00:14 PM PST

            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6mgnbutvbf28rad636pem4apf0nkris7jfdi7b0

            Send this to a friend
            http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zlkdf4bq9kh1mk2kabfl3o0gglcat81d0p0d58r0

            Hello,

            How's your JavaScript these days? Are you just starting out, need a
            refresher, or moving into the expert realm? We've developed a terrific
            JavaScript resource page to help you figure out what books and videos you'll
            need to bring your skills to the next level.
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zk9mi9slo92jslh78trbkvoscu1ig9eamvs4d73g
            And don't forget about our JavaScript-focused Fluent Conference coming up soon
            in San Francisco. Registration just opened this week.
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z71oub5sfmfulktos6da8apcmurn6jsr52jb81vg

            Cheers,

            --Marsee Henon & Jon Johns

            P.S. All you Charles Petzold fans: he'll be speaking at vNext_OC on 2/12.
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zktgts0pl0hcpcos8ndeaj9g8jmonbass616iim0

            Available for Review

            The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books. Consider
            posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or your blog.

            Resilience and Reliability on AWS
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1za3h80mgs8brnhu43eg4oq1cs7ql32t2r4q5ds3o

            The Definitive ANTLR 4 Reference, 2nd Edition
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdvl6hgark0qrpp8gcgp54l9aou8ajj63soskhk0

            Enyo: Up and Running
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbp95uoq9o1t20ea5gbd1cfdtqgp47rv7ibt09mo

            It's easy for you to request books for your meetings or
            special events--just email usergroups@... and include the words "book
            request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your deadline and
            shipping address.  Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free ebook certificate
            to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

            New Releases

            Kindle Fire HD: The Missing Manual, 2nd Edition
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjibsut6ir811mblqtvofnm1k65v49tc150mbet0

            Testable JavaScript
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo2qkh7mcqnqa3kithdrcia2ric3o07m2o42oq08

            Digital Capture After Dark
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z3gnq25ltmmbttg3qiph0bfo3u20f8g0qs05ikj8

            Learn You Some Erlang for Great Good!
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhmlijqis7asalt1g1k8mldoiufltpvj355dfuko

            XML and InDesign
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkn7c2mbfsnf8fd3p0ced8eb0jgtn0jv15l8ph80

            Windows Server 2012 Inside Out
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgmnhvqlf5o0q55sckktlcr7rprhvsipaleajss8

            Author (R)evolution Day (Feb 12, NYC)

            O'Reilly Media & Publishers Weekly created Author (R)evolution Day to help
            authors make sense of the dizzying array of opportunities, competing
            messages, and rapidly evolving best-practices.
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhpavkv92s17m9cdmipf9lqmnsg5ppopnb8ovi2o
            Author (R)evolution Day brings together authors, content creators, agents,
            publishers, innovators, and some of the most visionary companies creating the
            future of publishing for a practical and thought-provoking one-day
            conference-within-a-conference to explore the most critical issues that authors
            face. User Groups can save $350 on an Author (R)evolution Day pass (use code UG350
            when you register). See the schedule of speakers
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp2st8dl0o3sddq17fr0k108ljumg5tl3dgljhdg

            Contribute to the community by speaking at OSCON 2013

            The O'Reilly Open Source Convention, happening July 22-26, 2013 in Portland,
            OR, is where the open source community gathers each year to learn, teach,
            applaud success stories, and map the strategies for the future. The call for
            participation is now open. Speaking at OSCON is a great way to share what
            you know with your peers, while getting projects, ideas, and your company in
            front of a savvy and connected audience. You don't need to be a guru or
            experienced speaker; it's enough to have something worthwhile to share and
            the desire to communicate it to others. Proposals are due by February 4.

            See a list of suggested topics and submission guidelines
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg1t6hraej05r80ec1ffabdf6pmkql3kdbkb47a0

            National Day of Civic Hacking (June 1-2, USA)

            You should participate in National Day of Civic Hacking because the toughest
            challenges are not one community's alone, and this is a unique opportunity
            to get involved, connect with others like yourself, and develop technology
            that will make the world a better place. You can get started by heading over
            to hackforchange.org to see if there's an event in your area. If there
            isn't, you should consider finding a few other civic-minded folks and start
            one in your area.
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zea4461iesie38r10cbrm2ohjp4lekkh60ftmmng

            Webcast: View Updating: How to Make It Work

            Presented by: C.J. Date
            Duration: Approx. 60 min.
            Cost: Free

            Thursday, January 24, 2013 10AM PT, San Francisco

            Join us for a live webcast presented by Chris Date, author of "View Updating
            and Relational Theory " as he describes a way of looking at the view updating
            problem that (a) appears to be logically correct, (b) is certainly not ad hoc,
            and (c) works for all kinds of views.
            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9f5690necfbfr8erg94nlvs5k0939o52smtmmn8

            Buy 1 Ebook, Get 1 Free with your user group discount code: DSUG2

            Looking for more? Visit oreilly.com

            ==================================
            O'Reilly 1005 Gravenstein Highway North,
            Sebastopol, CA 95472 800-998-9938
            Follow us on Twitter @oreillyug

          • Charles Gousha
            Message 5 of 29 , Jan 28, 2013
              By tradition at Macworld Expo, BMUG old-timers (and related UG friends) will likely be gathering under the escalators at the end of each day. The group waits about half an hour to see who shows up, then heads off to one of the local restaurants for dinner. (Chevy's, Cha Am Thai, Henry's Hunan, Buca de Beppo, etc) All are welcome!

              Charles Gousha   leader - Silicon Valley Mac User Group
              User group meetings 7pm, third Monday of each month

              On Jan 27, 2013, at 12:43 AM, Robert Brown <rlbrown@...> wrote:

              Going to MacRorld/iWorld Expo? Like to meet up? Let fellow SVMUG and SMUB members know on your respective mailing lists.

              I will there on Wednesday for a workshop, and on Friday and Saturday.

              Make a note of the new discount code for eBooks, shown below.

              -- Robert Brown
              -- editor for SVMUG

            • Jim Gill

                Message 7 of 29 , Feb 10, 2013
                  Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                  Please note the discount code, shown below, for Wiley purchases is a different code than the discount code for O'Reilly books, also shown below.

                  In the news, Marsee and Jon mention Science Hack Day. The next San Francisco Science Hack days will be September 28029, 2013. The mission statement for Science Hack Day is "Science Hack Day brings together designers, developers, scientists, and other geeks in the same physical space for a brief but intense period of collaboration, hacking and building cool stuff."

                  -- Robert Brown
                  -- editor for SVMUG

                  Begin forwarded message:

                  From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
                  Date: February 9, 2013 4:00:26 PM PST

                  Send this to a friend http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1z6cnseald9reg7cga8491ed1cmnoiqcuoob8h488

                  Hello,

                  We're excited to announce that we are now offering user group members a 35%
                  discount on Wiley ebooks. Just use code DSUG35 when placing an order online
                  at oreilly.com. You'll know Wiley for their trusted brands that include
                  Wrox, Sybex, For Dummies, Visual, and more.

                  (Sorry, but at this time we're unable to offer review copies of Wiley titles
                  for your meetings or special events.)kj

                  Cheers,

                  Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                  P.S. If you haven't yet, please take a look at our Industrial Internet
                  Series on O'Reilly Radar. If you have projects, MeetUps, or other items to
                  share, please let us know.
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zl9vunb7gpdb2jma0qtae13236g1u06tifmq4n0o

                  Available for Review

                  The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books. Consider
                  posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or your blog.

                  Lean UX
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z69jpuv7vdoggluvi30uup5rsm9e86228dslv4tg

                  Getting Started with Mule Cloud Connect
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqu5coa7eeukh7ct085cico66uvi5dgk3lppe6b8

                  The Definitive ANTLR 4 Reference, 2nd Edition
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2qjumiabavhgg4chebrvuf1hts4op7apnb6mcm0

                  It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special events--just email
                  usergroups@... and include the words "book request" in the subject
                  line. Don't forget to include your deadline and shipping address. Prefer
                  ebooks? We can send you a free ebook certificate to print out for raffles or
                  book reviewers.

                  New Releases

                  Build Windows® 8 Apps with Microsoft® Visual C++® Step by Step
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zirgrpldgvhk9no5s9rnhu07ma6c0bao09a45fd0

                  Jump Start Sinatra
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zao0opha0ksqpglpfffkv5h59dbnbur8f0d9ioqg

                  Developing with Couchbase Server
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zer5n775eiodrbjhs9aoo47e3sk1tsnfeglook7g

                  Electrical Engineering Bibliography
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zu9kkpsip9fhmto8g4mh2b2pvkaicjgad9j18pvg

                  Programming PHP, 3rd Edition
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z05t1id4l2onvm2a8u2cdan0b29i8i3re66uqong

                  Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 33
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0clbn3jhskrhrffid2ru830idgreiefcipn4bqg

                  Science Hack Day

                  Slated for different times at different places all over the world, Science
                  Hack Day is a 48-hour event that brings together designers, developers,
                  scientists, citizen scientists, web geeks and anyone with good ideas for a
                  brief but intense period of collaboration, hacking, and building "cool
                  stuff". By working together on focused tasks during this intense two-day
                  period, small groups are capable of producing remarkable results. Find out
                  if there is a Science Hack Day near you, or start your own!
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zc7ortv4vsms583d2bg9r3cuouegt7gar36onh60

                  Linux Plumbers Conference CFP

                  Slated for New Orleans this September, the Linux Plumber's Conference
                  encourages you to submit track presentation or propose/run a
                  microconference. Refereed track presentations are traditional
                  presentation-format sessions. A microconference is a collection of
                  collaborative sessions focused on a particular area of the kernel plumbing.
                  Won't you try it?
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4q41kk9tvp3j9fhtu8roiq8v39vrtg632n8h2po

                  O'Reilly at the SharePoint Technology Conference

                  Come join us at SPTechCon, March 3-6 in San Francisco. Attend 90+ technical
                  classes, tutorials and breakout classes with content geared to IT
                  professionals, business managers, and developers ranging from top Microsoft
                  MVPs, to such experts as Microsoft Press and O'Reilly Media authors. Exhibit
                  admission is free or receive a $100 discount off either the 4 or 3-day pass
                  by inserting the code OREILLY when prompted on the eRegistration page.
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb30ks96h4t4517dhskuu7gp8hda8j4j3hef96mg

                  Slashdot Video: Jono Bacon Talks Up Ubuntu for Phones

                  Slashdot's Tim Lord talks with Ubuntu Community Manager Jono Bacon at CES.
                  Here's the video. Jono is the author of The Art of Community, 2ed.
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1mc5kotf3n2flkpiq3ku3tqihnlj9sc33rbo2u0

                  How Sci-Fi and Real World Interfaces Influence Each Other

                  Presented by: Chris Noessel
                  Duration: Approx. 60 min.
                  Cost: Free

                  Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10AM PT, San Francisco

                  "Make It So: Interaction Design lessons from Science Fiction" explores how
                  sci-fi and interface design relate to each other. Join Chris Noessel as he
                  describes the model that traces lines of influence between the two, and how
                  he and his co-author, Nathan Shedroff, use it as a scaffold to investigate how
                  the depiction of technologies evolve over time, how fictional interfaces influence
                  those in the real world, and what lessons interface designers can learn through
                  thisprocess.
                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znd2r4u1p77lta8h3tk6m4shu0l716jgphgc54so

                  Message 8 of 29 , Feb 16, 2013
                    Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                    Please make note of your user group discount code: DSUG2 -- remember, this is for members only.

                    "Playing with the Past Can Teach Us about the Future" -- On the O'Reilly Books and Video page for Vintage Tomorrows. Buy this book and a free copy of "Streampunking Our Future" is included in the package. No DRM, and comes in multiple formats.

                    Speaking of Streampunk, and also robot-punk, 3D-printer-punk, and not overlooking Swap-o-rama-punk, the Bay Area Maker Faire is coming up on May 18-19. I have my Early Bird ticket, how about you?

                    -- Robert Brown
                    -- editor for SVMUG

                    Message 9 of 29 , Feb 23, 2013

                      Begin forwarded message:

                      From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                      Date: 2013 February 23 4:01:10 PM PST

                      Send this to a friend http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zr68oa3vh9ugdb31jnc4b3f5q18ehsq4vhvnrkgo

                      Hello,

                      We're in Los Angeles today attending the Eleventh Annual Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE11x). This conference is not just about Linux, since many communities get together and have special events onsite as well. You'll find Puppet Camp LA, Los Angeles PostgreSQL Day, DevOps Day LA, MySQL community Day, UbuCon, and the Weakest Geek.
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z05intqdjul6f9l0efib6833tpj1k8nqof2dau28

                      If you're planning a special event with your group, make sure you let us know. We can send some books, help promote it, or even attend (no promises though).

                      Cheers,

                      Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                      P.S. We've got a great PHP Ebook deal this week, if you'd like to pass it along.
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9qk6ie9arg32p062ek57qop42jfebd38q9lp340

                      Available for Review

                      The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books.
                      Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or your blog.

                      Programming PHP, 3rd Edition
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrca0u89g06gbc9f6qk0kgneppf2l7eabaq9n910

                      Programming with the Kinect for Windows Software Development Kit
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlgkpdbbn2n0dpd5968sthtse4e7vis3g55b8r30

                      Python Cookbook
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv0moluujud7hmknofi27590seo1rqujbdrvamtg

                      It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special events--just email
                      usergroups@... and include the words "book request" in the subject
                      line. Don't forget to include your deadline and shipping address. Prefer
                      ebooks? We can send you a free ebook certificate to print out for raffles or
                      book reviewers.

                      New Releases

                      Agile Data
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zm6st3eupvnqgmpbh5ctq8om8em4o1k7eth2lnug

                      Training Guide: Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj7cva0jtvuguujofvu89cnad8gu6al6f5aqp2t0

                      Sencha Touch 2 Up and Running
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0ef69dd5ou51eaaudk1n25r42fqkh9gpo1p4110

                      Outsource It!
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zh6dhhl5nd08u02f0sbavn06b575jeo053tspb4g

                      Harper's Magazine features "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress"

                      We're excited to have Harper's Magazine [Readings] feature Peter Tyson's "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress:Learn to Play the Most Complex Video Game Ever Made" Here's an excerpt from the article available on harpers.org: "When a 'strange mood' strikes, a dwarf will stop whatever they are doing and rush to a workshop, their heads filled with an idea for a legendary artifact that they would like to construct. If the dwarf is able to successfully complete the artifact, they will often become legendary in the associated skill, gain a happy thought, and your fortress will have a valuable artifact to use and admire."
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zc32dht09ep163cgno3kkppal1vd8img53nsvp88

                      Big data comes to the big screen--Using data science to predict the Oscars

                      Sophisticated algorithms are not going to write the perfect script or crawl YouTube to find the next Justin Beiber (that last one I think we can all be thankful for!). But a model can predict the probability of a nominee winning the Oscar, and recently our model has Argo overtaking Lincoln as the likely winner of Best Picture. Every day on FarsiteForecast.com we've been describing applications of data science for the media and entertainment industry, illustrating how our models work, and updating the likely winners based on the outcomes of the Awards Season leading up to the Oscars.
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq4v97v8p3he5anvfck4o1vt72v2q4pu775gmfa8

                      Get to Know Microsoft Press

                      Microsoft Press is a division of Microsoft Corporation.

                      Since 1985, Microsoft Press has been helping IT professionals, developers, and home office and office users hone their technical skills and knowledge with books and other resources.

                      Since 2009, Microsoft and O'Reilly Media have been in a publishing alliance, sharing the editorial direction and development of Microsoft Press products. O'Reilly also handles sales, distribution, and customer service.

                      Written by industry experts, Microsoft Press products are available worldwide.
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhe46ncu8f2nhf93a70d7hgm0eif204rsm0mlh10

                      Strata 2013 is Sold Out--Keynote Livestream Available

                      Strata 2013 is sold out. For those who can't join us in person, we will livestream all keynote presentations (pending speaker consent) taking place in Mission City Ballroom on Wednesday and Thursday, as well as select breakout sessions on Wednesday and Thursday. The Livestream player will be on the Strata Home page and a separate streaming page, strataconf.com/live. We'll add a schedule to that page soon. The player is freely embeddable, so please feel free to share this excellent content.
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze0omfsdlqg1gm51v4dosru2m93v6avni5num0no

                      Lean UX: Agility through cross-functional collaboration
                      http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zttjlg8ntkblsquj3a11uiariuc4i3k9fup9hp08

                      Presented by: Jeff Gothelf
                      Duration: Approx. 60 min.
                      Cost: Free

                      Wednesday, March 13, 2013  10AM PT, San Francisco
                      Join Jeff Gothelf for a hands-on webcast to learn how "Lean UX" aims to open up the user experience design process with a collaborative approach that involves the entire team. It's a hypothesis-based design approach that tests design ideas early and often and, along the way, builds a shared understanding with team mates that eliminates the dependencies on heavy documentation and challenging communications.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 4, 2013
                        Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                        The latest from O'reilly is shown below. Here are a few related remarks.

                        It all started with software-as-a-service, acronym "SaaS". This was the offering of online tools to perform particular tasks, e.g. a corporation's timecards. This was not necessarily part of "cloud computing". A proper cloud service has a backbone of data that is automatically replicated over more than one server, and the ability to switchover between servers as web traffic and server maintenance might require. Some service deployments are billed as "cloud" but are not really. For example the OwnCloud deployment is on just one server and one database on that server. This is not true cloud computing. Yet I do like and use OwnCloud. Just saying, lets not lose sight of the principal advantage of cloud services: data safe against loss.

                        Going further, we can insist that a proper cloud is always virtualized. That is, we do not care what the actual hardware might be, we just know that the platform visible to the client is a consistent stack: web server, database, code runtime, and so forth. Add in an actual integrated development environment, and you have something new (relatively new): the platform-as-a-service, PaaS. And whenever you have a new acronym, by Gawd there will be a book about it! Not to mention conferences, trade shows, and vendor cold calls to my office phone.

                        Seque: I have recently become interested (VERY interested) about Python in the web browser. Long ago, Java applets were used to bring sophisticated programs into the client side of the web. Actually, they still do: many corporations use SaaS, with Java applet components. The Workforce Web comes to mind. But Java has some political problems as of late, and besides it is now in the category of an "older" language, from which new bright ideas have sprung, to make better languages. Such as Python. Concurrently, we have seen the growth of Javascript from a mere document model enhancement, to a full fledge computation and data manipulation environment. Pity that Javascript structure is kind of wronky and limited, especially to object-oriented programming.

                        One solution has been the development of frameworks (libraries, if you prefer) that treat Javascript as a "assembly" language -- you code in the nice abstract language, with the source code converted into assembly language, which is further transformed into actual machine code.

                        Some of these frameworks are extensions to Javascript, such as Backbone or Ember. Others try to clean up the syntax, such as CoffeeScript. And others just go full out, such as Brython, a implementation of Python which is translated to Javascript at runtime in a client web browser.

                        The Brython team view the translation to Javascript as a temporary measure -- they hope for the day when Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, and yea, perhaps even Internet Explorer will have Python built-in, or attached, or something like that. With appropriate sandboxing. There is great potential here.

                        Please make note of the books available for review shown below. You also have buy one, get one free, offer for e-books.

                        -- Robert Brown
                        -- editor for SVMUG

                        Begin forwarded message:

                        From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                        Date: August 4, 2013 4:00:12 PM PDT

                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlndld4pfv4uioiua85mv6jincfrp2jsui773b1o

                        Send this to a friend
                        http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zc7ogr6rjkia9aue505flhq8bkvkvvbagdd2622g

                        Hello,

                        Programming for PaaS
                        Looking for an explanation of the confusion between core cloud technology
                        vs. cloud-powered apps like Gmail, Dropbox, etc.? Interested in real-life
                        PaaS case studies and mobile apps on PaaS? Download a free copy of the new
                        book Programming for PaaS, courtesy of Savvis, a CenturyLink company.
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf4p0s8j3etuol26rs54pkcsth1u355sl6uagcm8

                        Cheers,

                        --Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                        Available for Review

                        The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                        Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                        goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                        Data Science for Business
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z40u1g84fqbg284c27dqh8f1hckq8705h6olidcg

                        Rethinking Enterprise Storage: A Hybrid Cloud Model
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9d0lnlunbb3upb42vtb5j638po80e319rb2s2b0

                        JavaMail API
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdf3tin5jp5fujua5ot2j1i8k8oq527o03ssbv2g

                        It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                        events - just email usergroups@... and include the words
                        "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                        deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                        ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                        New Releases

                        802.11ac: A Survival Guide
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqsnl8rug72k11f2e4ktlork5vhieg6e18h508jo

                        Building Hybrid Android Apps with Java and JavaScript
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlmv0jkfr4b5oijas0run8mmea64s9jl9upk13c8

                        HTML5 Pocket Reference, 5th Edition
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb6tcntf51b19duuh83ufs5ubgjdnaducqk9g13o

                        Good Math
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zh4aiq5vdj90aria2ft5tb8ok3jbkcm0mf412i30

                        Microsoft SharePoint 2013: Designing and Architecting Solutions
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrnnbmod2c6budf3ttk9htutholm1ct5814k7u9o

                        101 Design Ingredients to Solve Big Tech Problems
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zoi0nvp0713rc0estbnjgaos21qh3bhmbcqphqro

                        O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                        From Strata + Hadoop World 2012
                        Presented by Ilya Grigorik
                        Thursday, August 8
                        5am PT, 8am ET

                        What Makes Developers Happy, Angry, and Everything in Between?

                        Join us for an exclusive presentation by Ilya Grigorik recorded
                        live at Strata + Hadoop World 2012

                        Ilya will talk about importing the entire hundreds of thousands
                        of daily events from GitHub into Google
                        BigQuery - for the purpose of some in-depth analysis.

                        Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this
                        informative presentation from the comfort of
                        your computer chair!

                        To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqkhquteiqu97dg4kf5m0bjtavhe1ot0b2sjn368.

                        Submit your talk to PyTexas (Aug 16-18 College Station, TX)

                        PyTexas 2013, the sixth annual Python programming extravaganza for Texas
                        and the surrounding region, will take place this year in College Station
                        at Texas A&M University August 16-18 (three whole days!) You can still
                        submit talks, and get registered on the PyTexas site.

                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs4fhraark56u4irtdr6i90ck1dk9f4h4pk2vl90

                        The Ever-Changing Landscape of Mobile Gaming

                        Jon Manning and Paris Buttfield-Addison talked with Rachel Roumeliotis about
                        where mobile gaming is going in the next 12 months. In this Video interview
                        that was recently talked about on Slashdot, they discuss: Game-specific
                        APIs and standardized gaming accessories in iOS 7; Android needs to catch
                        up; Are tablets putting handheld consoles from Nintendo and Sony out of
                        business; and much more. Read about the interview and watch the video.

                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv9viaa81tv58uvd6msksbijkro41dt4giicnvl8

                        MoDevTablet (Aug 15-17, Seattle, WA)

                        Are you tasked with developing and/or designing for Tablet devices? MoDevTablet
                        is happening August 15-17 in Seattle, featuring three days of training and
                        industry insights for you. They're also looking for startups from the mobile
                        space from Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver to participate in our Cascadia
                        Cup-inspired startup contest - Disruptathon - with bragging rights for your
                        city and $10,000 in prizes on the line. Sign up and save 20% on registration
                        with code ORMUSRG.

                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkdhmc76qdbta07gl9map4nnqtfm4m1ti7o09g68

                        The O'Reilly Blogs
                        Have a look at what's trending on our blogs

                        Insights on speaking, writing, and working with MongoDB
                        An interview with Rick Copeland, the author of MongoDB Applied Design Patterns
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zchr46fkg1nc4mr0emrldm66o81g8ceap074r0g0

                        Open Source convention considers situational awareness in cars, and more
                        A report from OSCon
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zk86s99a7oq72iub9sndnqndbd2q16vqs6tto040

                        Podcast: quantum computing with Pete Worden and Bob Lee The director of
                        NASA's Ames Research Center and the CTO of Square talk about Ames's new
                        computing venture, fraud prevention, and dirigible hangars.
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z858hi1mrq8uuf7c5mv0l7p8kcdjsqejhpboa9e8

                        A Great Summer Read Douglas Adams’ expeditions to find endangered species
                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjmoob3gss38l1teqbqmnqtb62qsm20lm2aecmo0

                        The Business of Software (28-30 Oct, Boston, MA)

                        If you are building a software business, you might want to check out
                        the Business of Software Conference. The 3-day event is a safe-haven
                        for ISVs who want to talk, listen and learn from each other and the
                        most respected thinkers and leaders in the software industry about
                        growing long-term, sustainable, profitable software businesses. Get
                        $100 off registration using code ORMreader. Find out more and
                        register.

                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkh42ac1ahvlco4i90k4q60so6shbicj1snmbc7o

                        Buy 1 Ebook, Get 1 Free with your user group discount code: DSUG2

                        Looking for more? Visit oreilly.com

                        ==================================
                        O'Reilly 1005 Gravenstein Highway
                        North, Sebastopol, CA 95472
                        800-998-9938
                        Follow us on Twitter @oreillyug

                        You are receiving this email because you are a User Group contact with
                        O'Reilly Media. If you would like to stop receiving these newsletters or
                        announcements from O'Reilly, send an email to usergroups@...
                        ==================================

                      • Robert Brown
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 11, 2013
                          Hello SVMUG and SMUG members

                          This week's O'Reilly announcements and offers are shown below, in the forwarded email.

                          Do you run a blog site, tutorial site, or some other kind of website where you are the owner or have commercial authority? You may wish to examine the O'Reilly Affiliate Program, which is described below. This is essentially a sales referral fee. You place O'Reilly ads on your site. For every sale made as a result, you will receive a referral fee.

                          -- Robert

                          Begin forwarded message:

                          From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                          Date: 2013 August 11 4:01:41 PM PDT

                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvqvrfhr31ec91m57119r94iko7gas8mnmmp4428

                          Send this to a friend
                          http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zo3tfg6fbhog55k95n9id87vlkrkmk36gtg040do

                          Hello,

                          We offer several free samples chapters from many of our books including:
                          UX for Lean Startups, Understanding Computation, and Present Yourself.
                          See more free samplers, ebooks, and videos on
                          oreilly.com/free

                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zr25cnpl2geacbeqjljkm27jg1rlri7vqlafst8o

                          Sample Chapter from UX for lean Startups
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zah2hg00gathn10m0npn8ivl03u8hap77fibc43g

                          Sample Chapter from Understanding Computation
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7275f10dsc7ioivc9je0h2qjvkab49p7k9vjs5o

                          Sample Chapter from Present yourself
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrpmjb4p2rfnguvcq70a0e3tkk1jg1kl7c6rk5rg

                          Cheers,

                          --Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                          P.S. If you're headed to SPTechCon in Boston, say hi at the
                          O'Reilly Booth next week

                          Available for Review

                          The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                          Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                          goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                          Mastering Perl
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7qf0j7oh73qhq682cbpnvgbg3ovp0m0cu53762o

                          Scala Cookbook
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zunhdpa21r2r1e9ipa3es3d5m3cqaav4kdeom6qo

                          Test iOS Apps with UI Automation
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zc54h4fh20jmlhgasvmbe98l7k3oqd1mpjj3mb0g

                          New Releases

                          Introducing Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview Release
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zprel13gt7qsojqbph209scil9vkj5c3uog22qag

                          Oracle Essentials
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp8ekoav0m0eu9phumt3v14ljkn9lsodeghf845g

                          MOS 2013 Study Guide for Microsoft Excel
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zm61a9lmienhe8b9gdo4j7spuh329tk4au56rkp0

                          Programming for PaaS
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zt62db7duionp6culr1t1eo18itbkk685t5jv570

                          Microsoft SharePoint 2013 Step by Step
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdt9v6jjae1d1opm848h5iegb5eat8lv0b8418g8

                          Make: Maker Projects Guide
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo0u0agtgm98ddvme3apkv02op6vqt3e2harj7jo

                          O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                          The Art of Lean Testing
                          Presented by Ash Maurya and Eric Ries
                          Wednesday, August 14
                          10am PT, 1pm ET

                          During the first part of this exclusive webcast event we welcome Eric
                          Ries (@ericries) author of New York Times bestseller "The Lean Startup"
                          for a fireside chat with Ash Maurya (@ashmaurya) author of Running
                          Lean to learn the story behind "Running Lean" and how the material was
                          chosen for the book.

                          Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this informative
                          presentation from the comfort of your computer chair!

                          To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4f7gg5gsb4nfelpcerck24mn7i93g58737tjoh0.

                          O'Reilly Affiliate Program

                          Join the O'Reilly Affiliate Program -- Make money each time you direct
                          a visitor to oreilly.com and they make a qualified purchase. It's FREE
                          and easy to join. Sign up today. Allow up to 7 days for your application
                          to be reviewed. Once your website is approved you can begin posting
                          links and start earning money.

                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0srlrav9cvjvm8pl9o471ptr44otrgb116t0te8

                          The O'Reilly Programming Podcast on Sound Cloud

                          Rachel Roumeliotis hosts this interview with Tony Santos about Human-Centered
                          Design. Tony Santos, User Experience Lead at Mozilla and OSCON 2013 Speaker,
                          explains why truly human-centered design incorporates your user’s ways of
                          thinking (mental models) and doing tasks into your product’s final design.
                          Listen to this podcast and more on our O'Reilly Programming Channel on Sound
                          Cloud.
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8af1ri9mb1bsuhffpr5mm1g661fcsjhbeung5to
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbl93ka1banaomuu0ta7dakhmerraunfj9rcqo18

                          PuppetConf (San Francisco, CA August 22-23)

                          Puppet Labs' third annual user conference, PuppetConf 2013, is just around
                          the corner. Taking place August 22-23 at San Francisco’s historic Fairmont
                          Hotel, PuppetConf delivers presentations and workshops focusing on best
                          practices in DevOps, cloud automation, and continuous delivery. Look forward
                          to presentations from 75+ speakers from Bank of America, Cisco,
                          GitHub, Google, Juniper Networks, Microsoft, PayPal, Red Hat, salesforce.com,
                          VMware and more.

                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7la8mqn7sacc5keashig462kf4fkcrakhoqrtoo

                          Upcoming Tech Events via Techsmith

                          Our friends at TechSmith have found some interesting events happening next
                          month we thought we'd share with you.
                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z95m374946cr03a8i909f6sacl855grl9t8bi170

                          TechFestNW (Portland, OR Sept 6-8

                          Thought of as tech’s next SXSW, TechFestNW is a new conference
                          focused on honoring and exploring technology, startups, and design
                          culture.

                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmmlejvqucc713lh1gfm482pqcao4rga8suevg7o

                          BoxWorks (San Francisco, CA Sept 15-17)

                          BoxWorks is your chance to catch up on what’s happening next in the cloud.
                          With all-star speakers, chats with decision-makers, and networking in a friendly,
                          informal environment.

                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7if07ttcer7f1c0u7echan784kmvqmqkv3jai50

                          Message 12 of 29 , Sep 1 8:06 PM

                            Begin forwarded message:

                            From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                            Date: September 1, 2013 3:48:32 PM PDT

                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlnvoveg4atn8f8sdt18rn139lc9iv9efci2e0k0

                            Send this to a friend
                            http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zbi59cb32j25kt4ukjrchlo1d4l14uglrhdbohbg

                            Hello,

                            It's not quite the end of summer yet, but it is Back To School time,
                            even here at O'Reilly.  The Back to (Tech) School promo is on, and you can
                            always get 50% off ebooks with your User Group Discount code (DSUG) but
                            only until September 10th can you get 60% off with purchases over $100 --
                            use code B2S3.

                            Cheers,

                            --Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                            P.S.  The Fluent Conference 2014 Call for Papers is open until September 30.
                            Share ideas for building web platform using JavaScript, HTML5 & beyond.
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z820ljg73f9an363tluoselqlaqocbcod3feicrg

                            Available for Review

                            The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                            Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                            goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                            HTML5 2D Game Development
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbr3sq05g2kt8fl27ka8p08a495f5p30fm7g6dn0

                            CSS Text
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrtmqbc75ihu1m8sg6e6d152uptftb1c2ulr2ru8

                            Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Pocket Consultant: Configuration & Clients
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkjl2n8vjk87fg4kv4ci98sp6s2sm56fvkf1c2eg

                            It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                            events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                            "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                            deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                            ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                            New Releases

                            Zero to Maker
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1kntpe9p077odq7palgfut79m9t1quf1ln999o0

                            MOS 2013 Study Guide for Microsoft Excel
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpj9o63rcnfe819h4f81ueojacs6jq72vrn8sjko

                            Java Web Services: Up and Running, 2nd Edition
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z78va9noptuf305tt87po156qvk5fje0peq2n25g

                            Practical Anonymity - Hiding in Plain Sight Online
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgfhor14tj45iicfih3mi5lo8hdcr3ucqojp9rn0

                            Head First C#, 3rd Edition
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj5fv2spvb36b5fncroffppvq79dbtpi7d035mr8

                            Galaxy S4: The Missing Manual
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8mo7va4qbeob3itcj2t18q13l2rj8flpavaf0gg

                            O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                            Connecting to Arduino with a WiFly and iPad or iPhone.
                            Presented by Mike Westerfield.
                            Wednesday, September 11
                            10am PT, 1pm ET

                            Mike Westerfield, author of Building iPhones and iPad Electronic Projects,
                            will present an exciting webcast on Wednesday, September 11. We'll look at
                            one way to control an Arduino from iOS using a WiFly serial bridge. All of
                            the techniques and techBASIC source code will be shown. This webcast
                            promises to be both fun and interactive.

                            Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this informative
                            presentation from the comfort of your computer chair!

                            To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ziu0pf4qaos1poro410c56s5l6fi35knr8p2tt9o.

                            Did you miss these Blog Posts?

                            The O'Reilly Programming blog published a couple of posts this week that
                            got a lot of attention.

                            Automation Myths -- The NSA Can't Replace 90% of Its System Administrators
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgo6al97tdud37ak3g44aau2ga2u728ucb673r1o

                            Tesla Model S REST API Authentication Flaws
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zcd66h0rvep8sq4rnm6v4btc8gmm01sjkso3ileo

                            The Business of Software (28-30 Oct, Boston, MA)

                            If you are building a software business, you might want to check out
                            the Business of Software Conference. The 3-day event is a safe-haven
                            for ISVs who want to talk, listen and learn from each other and the
                            most respected thinkers and leaders in the software industry about
                            growing long-term, sustainable, profitable software businesses. Get
                            $100 off registration using code ORMreader. Find out more and
                            register.

                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z12b5656h0o9oohv6ii9j93gi9v2n6bb5ekpu76g

                            Get your best price for User Interface 18 Conference (Oct 21-23 Boston, MA)

                            The User Interface 18 Conference best price deadline is Sept 12 when the price
                            jumps to $1,989, the current price is $1,689 and with the promotion code OREILLY
                            there's a $300 discount. Several upcoming free webcasts feature speakers from the
                            conference including Jeff Gothelf on Lean UX and Scott Berkun on innovating on a
                            deadline. Learn more here:

                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuou7ehoopijbm8ims8rm70igck626a4frno6p9g
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztjpcbs9prrnejg6p97ufh5ojq0kn304iptgm1dg
                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z85dpoa1gk54j6biek2pluo9kba7udtnel2ggnhg

                            Message 13 of 29 , Sep 15 8:41 PM
                              Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                              What is your definition for "the modern web"? Here are some possibilities.

                              1. The modern web is multi-device accessible. A given web site will automatically be rendered properly on large screens, medium screens, or small screens, with appropriate changes to the interactive controls,

                              2. The modern web separates the task of providing data on demand from the task of rendering the display of information, and interacting with the information. A modern web site is actually an full application, downloaded to a client. The client then runs this application to request and display data, and to interact with the user.

                              3. The modern web is about integrating "big data" from multiple sources into single applications.

                              Or perhaps it is all three. This week's newsletter from O'Reilly has sources for the modern web including fluid design, client side applications, and data.

                              -- Robert Brown
                              -- editor for SVMUG

                              Begin forwarded message:

                              From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                              Date: September 15, 2013 4:00:56 PM PDT

                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqpj10m0rgvgen1r2hda3btif34kd1k1gs21q06o

                              Send this to a friend
                              http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1z9to35du3qvem45mb3fv1ajhkjsi7e8vnbm9hii0

                              Hello,

                              Headed to Velocity NY or in NYC already? Join us for O'Reilly
                              Cultivate, a one-day conference on technology company leadership.
                              Let your community know about our discount code USRG for 20% off.

                              Cheers,

                              --Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                              P.S. If you're headed to Codecamp NYC or Strangeloop in St. Louis -
                              say hi to Marsee.

                              Available for Review

                              The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                              Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                              goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                              JavaScript and HTML5 at OSCON 2013
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2e5ir7o2ukcrjfo4hunvc7d4v12dkhhj6icd6vg

                              Functional JavaScript
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkh8abgi3oejg85tus8llqlt4sfshuqbkjdhcvr8

                              HTML5 iPhone Web Application Development
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5gethjudaf8cnciukphh4a897govsru983hm078

                              It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                              events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                              "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                              deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                              ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                              New Releases

                              Fluent Conference 2013: JavaScript & Beyond Complete Video Compilation
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb4iinv298lhvbs89s1ik948q365u3l6roegg178

                              Developing Backbone.js Applications
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5eru2refkn2gkqjtpmdtcdvb8fmgum7541c3apo

                              Training Guide: Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7egh86rf1g317vm3t4c01i85k11oltn0esq13ig

                              The Modern Web
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zo1ftd23f0vo1c0q3f950c72o3ml28lgjsvj8ecg

                              Jump Start Responsive Web Design
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zuo73qts06jh02bsb4mfgqjd31mncmsvlmj36hfo

                              RaphaelJS
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2t1fm78htbhk47411t3vlon84j6n1g4jcn631v8

                              O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                              Gigabit Wireless Networks with 802.11ac.
                              Presented by Matthew Gast.
                              Thursday, September 19
                              1pm PT, 4pm ET
                              Sponsored by
                              Aerohive Networks

                              With the development of 802.11ac, wireless LANs surpass the gigabit speed
                              barrier. New protocol features add speed compared to 802.11n, and future
                              developments promise even higher speed.

                              As an added bonus, the first 250 people to register and attend the webcast
                              will receive Matthew's new book "802.11ac: A Survival Guide". Don't miss
                              your chance to receive a free copy!

                              Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this informative
                              presentation from the comfort of your computer chair!

                              To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z57507u666bc4q2ohgi2722pp2n675fiqta17rc0.

                              Why should you attend Velocity? (Oct 14-16 New York, NY)

                              Never before has the Web been more crucial to what you do. If your job
                              involves any part of building or maintaining a faster, stronger web,
                              join us—and more than a thousand of your peers—at the O'Reilly Velocity
                              Conference, happening October 14-16 at the New York Hilton Midtown,
                              in New York City. Find out more about Velocity in this short video.
                              Remember, your community members can get 20% off with code USRG.

                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zgqk0g1uvl48egt1g2lksd71mrgt2c8hu2n7j118
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj2dqss8fk73on9ndnv2c69vchgqs4qbqvcgm9vg

                              Learn to build office culture at O'Reilly Cultivate (Oct 14, New York, NY)

                              Watch this interview regarding Cultivate
                              Building Great Tech Company Culture --
                              A Conversation with Svpply's Greg Leppert
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zc58pd76t8qb4gpc7teebs0h53cst424dsvg928o

                              Share the Cultivate 20% discount code with your community -- USRG

                              The tech industry has a reputation for unusual work environments, but
                              "culture" isn't just free beer and foosball. As a leader--of a team,
                              project, or company--you're in a unique position to build a vibrant
                              company culture that energizes and engages employees. If you're
                              passionate about building a productive work environment, check out
                              O'Reilly Cultivate, a one-day conference on technology company
                              leadership.

                              You'll spend the day hearing directly from successful tech founders
                              and managers, including Marc Hedlund, Etsy; Cameron Moll, Authentic
                              Jobs; Steve Yegge, Google; Tim O'Reilly, O'Reilly Media; and Kate
                              Matsudaira, popforms. They'll address issues like:

                              - Am I Doing It Right? Gaining Confidence as a Leader
                              - How to Create a Culture of Shipping Product Continuously
                              - Marketing and Sales For Technologists
                              - What *Do* You Do All Day?
                              - Going Beyond Money: Working on Stuff That Matters

                              O'Reilly Cultivate is co-located with the O'Reilly Velocity
                              Conference, taking place October 14-16.

                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6v850tqe17fpj75r55bfo59si6s3dht162lh6m0

                              Jez Humble (Lean Enterprise) at Flowcon (Nov 1, San Francisco, CA)

                              O'Reilly Media is proud to be a sponsor of FlowCon 2013. Use code: oreilly
                              to get a $50 discount off registration.

                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd5p4h2grk1e66seb4ig9k1htielsa2f538l7pqg
                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zphcjs9d9v4uejpchhbbd7virt2550rkam3fj2s8

                              Message 14 of 29 , Sep 23 7:26 AM

                                From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                                Date: September 22, 2013 4:00:57 PM PDT

                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zbngvhkk8gu91ea3ad7ct4doo2dmr42cprd8c2o8

                                Send this to a friend
                                http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zmsq005u6m3kftm736da4rknc9rorilq79ah1nj8

                                Hello,

                                When you're faced with a challenge managing your User Group or
                                community, where do you turn? We'd like to know; what are the
                                websites, forums, or communities that the community managers
                                reach out to? Let us know via usergroups@...

                                Cheers,

                                --Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                                P.S. Are you going to JavaOne? Come by the O'Reilly booth and
                                say hi to Sonia, Jon, Audra, and Meghan.
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zic0ok2snga0ack5thr97q8ns670lg3ndjnu7hio

                                Available for Review

                                The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                                Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                iOS 7 Programming Fundamentals
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq5p8rao55pek83bij3mlq3gvto76qobg4bra2uo

                                Learning R -- A Step-by-Step Function Guide to Data Analysis
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdn38vqi6uluf60ir88bp9jqv2he0mhvte8k00vo

                                RESTful Web APIs
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zca50a4c29us1bnrgsftir5osmljgt48ncjegamg

                                It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                New Releases

                                Microsoft System Center: Designing Orchestrator Runbooks
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znojrgah61m8393snuj4fumq7qhk3c126u74grro

                                Tinkering -- Kids Learn by Making Stuff
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ze0r91ff8tbf8o3dp6vfdu8omki5aaf4vgo57qv8

                                iOS 7 Programming Cookbook
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdhtnnjgc0ierl7epusetv39gl600kqntfarkmdg

                                Think Bayes
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfvb9hf300nk6fvt70ghr559c7o7b0a4nhkppgq0

                                Programming iOS 7
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zirkfieushoi6oruqo5v1kd9pic3l19p72839uko

                                Oracle Essentials, 5th Edition  Oracle Database 12c
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zibsi6ko549ncf7tt0c2e7gvmo5vuu8ke2srrth0

                                O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                                Top Three Things You Should Know About Mastering Your Web API
                                Performance.
                                Presented by Rob Dickinson, John Spirko, and Andy Wahrenberger.
                                Tuesday, September 24
                                10am PT, 1pm ET

                                Discover how you can master your web API performance in a live
                                webcast led by Dell Software web performance experts John Spirko
                                and Rob Dickinson, with special guest Andy Wahrenberger,
                                Operations Architect for Dell.com's DevOps core. You'll see why
                                common web monitoring practices fall short of pinpointing API
                                issues, and learn effective alternatives to ensure your current
                                monitoring of APIs is adequate.

                                Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this
                                informative presentation from the comfort of your computer
                                chair!

                                To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zihcdn5plsu2uftcbrf9p2r308fd7suqa751gko8.

                                We have some fantastic free contant we'd like you to share with
                                your community. The links below lead to free excerpts, free reports,
                                and other free content.

                                Get free—and useful—information and insights on big data.
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8h1hb5n0t1knsr1hhnfmbnq30aueps7a165a4rg

                                Get started (or get smarter) with these free resources for you and
                                your team
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjhm7klj1mv3bdbdbsiakigq7rki988h8lnqcfqo

                                Web Performance and Operations for Media
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zn54mian60jdted1b434c73ue1bs688ff1sulk8g

                                Web Performance and Operations for Finance
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdh4tjsb3bir1amkuuef957eko245ajqil4oohdo

                                Need Help Managing Your Group or Community?

                                The folks over at The Community Manager have a great list of how-to's
                                and other information to support you in managing your community. They
                                have a weekly tweetup on Wednesdays at 2PM Eastern time - just follow
                                hashtag #cmgrchat - and they are a great resource anytime you need to
                                reach out for new ideas, or help. They always welcome your ideas and
                                expertise as well.  Head over to The Community Manager and see what
                                they have to offer, and if you have any great resources you use that
                                we can share, let us know.

                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zknf7g7gie6g4044ps8uohpicddld15f3op3c5sg

                                Several Valuable posts this week

                                Find out how + why HTML5 is the Future of Book Authorship from Sanders Kleinfeld
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z74fkn49511ku1dja03313glc4cm7ovqvkplrsv0

                                Making the Leap to iOS 7  --  What to look out for when updating your code

                                As a bewildered Dorothy says in the movie The Wizard of Oz, "I don't think we're
                                in Kansas anymore." When you open your iOS 6 project in Xcode 5 and run it in the
                                iOS 7 simulator, you'll know instantly that things have changed.
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z63u0d9rs0c9qu95hpvpvahek5qcc93o5sq9fn2g

                                Take a Virtual Tour of the World's Coral Reefs

                                Today, you don't have to watch a TV documentary to see the undersea landscapes
                                Jacques Cousteau spent his life documenting: thanks to the Catlin Seaview Survey,
                                everyone can now conduct their own virtual tours of coral reefs, right on their
                                laptops.
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf5hbm0kpdbmsn1flndt0obsbatghefat4cv3dr8

                                Big Data Culture Gap: Technology Advancing More Quickly Than People and Processes
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv0i7btp9v0apq5mlrd20mjh4en3bqv837n4u5j8
                                Big data tools are evolving more quickly than the people and organizations using them.
                                Get your free download, the Culture of Big Data:
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zam2sm94a1cqj9j98m0n9p32ik1soh87jbtstq58

                                Save $100 at IT/Dev Connections Sept 30-Oct 4 in Las Vegas
                                Use Discount Code OREILLY13
                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zov2t1hhb48eh7pmijlqievo2hfmp5i0g232b9l8

                                Attend IT/Dev Connections for in-depth training on SQL Server, SharePoint, System
                                Center, Server 2012, Windows Server, Exchange and more. You'll hear from 100+
                                industry experts, including top O'Reilly authors. 180+ technical sessions, 14 full
                                day workshops, lots of peer-to-peer networking.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 7, 2013

                                  Begin forwarded message:

                                  From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                                  Date: 2013 October 7 8:20:08 AM PDT

                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5j33vu4eh7qpgl7qd5vsoroisggc4itmr0greag

                                  Send this to a friend
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zekjhlea77gk022dmf54t0o7nt6l28iho7r15uv0

                                  Hello,

                                  We've posted a short poll about Drupal that's only ten questions long.
                                  The answers will help inform the O'Reilly editors. Please share this
                                  with your community members.
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9t8s3e0kjkurqcqd3is5s3u4t6r09evp5f6qfqg

                                  Cheers,

                                  --Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                                  P.S. At the end of the Strata Conference New York, and Velocity Conference
                                  New York we'd like to give our display books to a local UG leader, if you're
                                  attending the conference come by the booth and ask Sonia or Betsy about
                                  making arrangements.

                                  Available for Review

                                  The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                                  Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                  goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                  Feedback Control for Computer Systems
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2italvrsj062vo410hai1qil3k6hpq940qbqk60

                                  Agile Web Development with Rails 4
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1za7jf4b011qqs4v945fmph3h013iq37dbkbimp6o

                                  Programming Erlang, 2nd Edition
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd1dq78udhr99rh4fl0rau3vnr04df18v3uo6nho

                                  It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                  events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                  "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                  deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                  ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                  New Releases

                                  Photoshop Elements 12: The Missing Manual
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z01vmr1d4pb7na37042v25nnmmkcvuplnps7f54g

                                  Practical Programming, 2nd Edition
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9krrs2rjuvo6u7q6gu42ojk9c8qmad91crei1rg

                                  Building Polyfills
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvqf07csvk46s8rqdh5f606qtejcosnt1ea439go

                                  Beautiful LEGO
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmlljd8qq2vv5unp0btq3p82h5gcihuv2i04r2ag

                                  Oracle PL/SQL Programming
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6u81oujmspj1ehvo3cp22n7mmsn5525db33dp3g

                                  Microsoft Exchange Server 2013 Inside Out: Mailbox and High Availability
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf650nmt26leh2i8ah1i0r3ve32td6eoh6l48hg8

                                  O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                                  The Critical Path to Web Performance: Real Users' Footsteps.
                                  Presented by David Azaria and Kenneth Harker.
                                  Tuesday, October 8
                                  10am PT, 1pm ET

                                  Being on the front lines of building and maintaining the modern Web is a
                                  tough vocation. It demands constantly ensuring your site is robust and
                                  reliable. We know our business grows when customers can quickly engage
                                  and transact. That's why focusing on monitoring and improving the
                                  performance of key business transactions is critical, especially in a
                                  hectic and fast-changing environment. Learn how to look beyond the lens
                                  of individual page performance, and through the footsteps of real users
                                  to measure performance for important journeys.

                                  Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this informative
                                  presentation from the comfort of your computer chair!

                                  To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5801h20inmmc4vs0mevr3ms1kvlv1h1fvjuin6o.

                                  What We're Discussing at O'Reilly This Week

                                  Start planning for a computing world with minimal trust
                                  Simon St. Laurent writes on security after the death of trust
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0223dr2i4ptmrcbauk43qsfdv4c1b3hp3lml64o

                                  Furloughed Federal Programmer?
                                  James Turner shares Five Ways to Keep Busy During the Downtime.
                                  Remember, an idle keyboard is the devil's playground
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zaqsfcecfcllls0njm9rtcegjlg38a3ub1s4aoug

                                  Gaining access to the best machine-learning methods
                                  Ben Lorica says accuracy, simplicity, speed, and interpretability
                                  are some of the factors that need to be considered
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsqukvvtme9cp8g37nfbdnr4dkbgdchg6oi0jr20

                                  Q Ethan McCallum's latest report, Business Models for the Data Economy
                                  is available for free.
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9auvkda1bs0n2su194g72cqobtadof4os5p5qvo

                                  Get started (or get smarter) with these free resources

                                  "Poor website performance leads to user dissatisfaction more often
                                  than any other factor." —Forrester Research

                                  Get free—and useful—information and insights on web operations and
                                  performance. O'Reilly has a stellar network of experts on web performance
                                  and operations for media companies. They're the best in the business,
                                  and we're sharing their hard-won experience and insight with you.

                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd783bmhfautqkbpkt8iei439cdaetusp8up6g30

                                  In case you missed it, we're offering two free ebooks to inform and
                                  change your world: Open Government and Hacking Healthcare
                                  http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrlivpip3q8q7a7b6r0bqhi5ggtm2u8i7b82bufg

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 20, 2013

                                    Begin forwarded message:

                                    From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                                    Date: October 20, 2013 4:00:52 PM PDT

                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6dungs272oqtmtb78favu6rn7158i9jt8nb1rmg

                                    Send this to a friend
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zelhia5tsbf5qm4bnn83l29ibrl59g9d69v7nt48

                                    Available for Review

                                    The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                                    Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                    goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                    Agile Data Science
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zk1ndi93p8q9m2c781cg6oat2gs8b3qriom6t3s8

                                    iPhone: The Missing Manual, 7th Edition
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zibpvej34se8990sstk80jbl7477bjfstl1gitg0

                                    Developing with PDF
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqsvr7nd5dlgq670glc1jtsk4chqoo3c3o46b57o

                                    It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                    events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                    "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                    deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                    ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                    New Releases

                                    Learning OpenCV
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg6dtm3tkvmaqng5d4p2g8q3cffrr93ttpjsnev0

                                    High Performance Drupal
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2k36clg5tubd0rbrhs08li5n9d2m68dddacp1fo

                                    iOS 7 Programming Cookbook
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zos5oiglicrge0kqtu139lkvrb78i30jeggkfm9g

                                    iOS 7 Programming Fundamentals
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zoi33p1le8ct71pe4ctu2b5a62ovo00nh5dvrpi0

                                    Strata Rx Conference Boston 2013: Complete Video Compilation
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zq4l0rqnnvhfpje7jppkcqub57a3048rl3s0e48g

                                    Test-Driven Infrastructure with Chef, 2nd Edition
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4a3hhok7s638k096v6hfi1arhhf62pgr49tcafo

                                    O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                                    Canary in the Coalmine: How Social Data Can Prepare Us for Big Data.
                                    Presented by Susan Etlinger.
                                    Tuesday, October 22
                                    10:30am PT, 1:30pm ET

                                    Organizations are already feeling the foreshocks of big data with their
                                    approach to social data. In this webcast talk, Susan Etlinger will discuss
                                    how organizations are addressing the challenges of social data—technological,
                                    organizational and cultural—and what it can teach us on the road to big data.

                                    Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this informative
                                    presentation from the comfort of your computer chair!

                                    To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqkcgpbb6cbjrtsshktlu3jup87ab39n9q6ga4go.
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrkc4e41oos9kmsh3i3f99btk0eh4eclam2inc4o

                                    5 Deadly Data Science Sins

                                    Michael Walker According to Michael Walker, founder and president of the
                                    nonprofit Data Science Association, there are 5 data science sins:

                                       Cherry picking
                                       Confirmation bias
                                       Data selection bias
                                       Narrative fallacy
                                       Cognitive bias

                                    He goes into more detail, of course.

                                    But, in reality, there are an infinite number of data sins, and all of them
                                    amount to one thing: distorting the results from the way things really are.
                                    We carry so many biases into our thinking that the only way to truly absolve
                                    ourselves of them is transparency. In a data-centric society, we must not only
                                    share the raw data, but the tools and algorithms with which we drew our
                                    conclusions.
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlrkle6mjnm2rue5ga1bsjn5ttqh7gvlbs2sa318
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp2aj20dbqmokic8oqovfcrhkkmqmhae0pn71kdg

                                    BioCoder, an Insider's Review of DIY Biotech

                                    News for Synthetic Biologists, DIY Biologists, Neurobiologists, and More
                                    BioCoder

                                    The field of biology is rapidly changing. "Biohackers are foot soldiers of the
                                    next revolution in biotechnology and medicine, willing to do what others can't
                                    or won't," notes contributor Ryan Bethencourt. BioCoder tells you what this
                                    revolution is all about and how it will change your world.

                                    For now, BioCoder is free and can be downloaded at oreilly.com/biocoder. The
                                    first issue ranges from Biotech's Cambrian Era by Ryan Bethencourt, to DIYbio
                                    and the "New FBI" by educator Michael Scroggins, along with Better, CRISPR
                                    Homemade Genomes by biologist Derek Jacoby, and more.
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z050babe3hlbdlk0rdnma7951g293u6d388rctcg

                                    What We're Discussing at O'Reilly This Week

                                    Knowing and Understanding Your Audience
                                    Measuring impact and changing behavior
                                    Laurie Petrycki talks to Laura Klein about the importance of creating effective
                                    user experiences.
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6uj96a9mjvud5ss1iqlsbnra2sbmjqkd4c34pfo

                                    "More Instantly Better Vim"
                                    Damian Conway customizes his favorite editor
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zes5sd84985c07rch6bg3ntrtij1mlcvdafrphj0

                                    CIOs and the Big Data Challenge (FREE Download)
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsb4seeu0q6nakgc5hv47h66nkead9oa1q80k23g
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfq8o9ubk7n3c4oulk1m0sr5muvgiidib0rte5mg
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlralmak8480stc9svu42odoloro7hb5lq2pckq0

                                    Ada Lovelace, an Indirect and Reciprocal Influence
                                    Celebrating women in technology and the curious mind of Ada Lovelace

                                    Amy Jollymore shares her thoughts on Ada Lovelace day
                                    "When I heard that Ada Lovelace Day was coming, I questioned myself,
                                    "What do I actually know about Ada Lovelace?" The sum total of my knowledge:
                                    Ada was the first woman programmer and the Department of Defense honored her
                                    contributions to computation in 1979 by naming its common programming language
                                    Ada. Learn more about Ada.
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf5vsa0b3955uhl2hg3ncfdc62n6tnjc6rvr9r5g

                                    Save $50 at QCon San Francisco Nov 11-15, 2013

                                    Save $50 off registration for 7th annual QCon San Francisco.
                                    Use Discount Code OREILLY50.

                                    QCon is an enterprise software development conference for team leads, architects,
                                    and project managers. Some of this year's 18 tracks include: API Lifecycle,
                                    Hadoop, Continuous Delivery, HTML5 and JavaScript, NoBackend: Front-End First
                                    Web Development, (Post)Functional, Scalability, Availability, and Performance,
                                    Mobile, Java and many more. +100 speakers, 18 tracks, 90 technical sessions, 2
                                    full day trainings, 3 conference days.
                                    http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj85h79euej3or835arehne7ss164i6qvkbheitg

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 2, 2013
                                      Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                                      Here is the latest from O’Reilly, now in HTML format. I have not previously heard of the Tech Hero City Tour, but apparently it will be in San Francisco on November 7 (Thursday). The event runs 6 to 9 pm at the Lava Lounge, 527 Bryant Street, San Francisco. From the invite text, it seems to be a meet-and-greet, free drinks, raffle (Jambox and Playstation4). I suspect attendees should expect heavy product placement and promotion. Within walking distance from Caltrain at 4th and King, but do not walk alone.

                                      — Robert

                                      Begin forwarded message:

                                      From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
                                      Date: November 1, 2013 at 4:01:01 PM PDT

                                      O'Reilly UG Newsletter

                                      View in browser.
                                      Forward this announcement to a friend

                                      O'Reilly User Group Newsletter

                                      Lessons Learned from Failure

                                      Tim O'Reilly recently posted on Linkedin about Failure and has continued the story on O'Reilly Radar. Read both articles and learn that wisdom often comes from mistakes, not necessarily the vision that sets you on fire or the goals you're aiming for.

                                      Available for Review

                                      Python and HDF5

                                      The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books & videos. Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, goodreads.com, and/or your blog.

                                      It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special events—just email usergroups@... and include the words "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                      New Releases

                                      HTML5 and CSS3, 2nd Edition Survive! Inside the Human Body, Vol. 1 Windows 8.1: Out of the Box, 2nd Edition 3D Game Programming for Kids Accumulo QuickBooks 2014: The Missing Manual

                                      O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                                      Data and Ethics: Etiquette and Law for an Always-On World. Presented by Alistair Croll.

                                      Data and Ethics: Etiquette and Law for an Always-On World

                                      Tuesday, November 5
                                      7:00am PT, 10:0am ET

                                      Register Now

                                      The human race is colonizing a second world — one with limitless connectivity, eternal memory, and frictionless access to information. It doesn't behave like the world we've lived in for millennia, and it demands new rules and norms. We need to re-think what's right, what's polite, and what's legal in this new world. Unfortunately, legislation is decades behind reality, and online citizens are minting new policies for incrimination, anonymity, perversion, and community. In this online conference, we'll look at where ethics and the law are headed in an always-on, data-driven society.

                                      Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this informative presentation from the comfort of your computer chair!

                                      To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit http://oreilly.com/webcasts/index.html.

                                      What We're Discussing at O'Reilly This Week

                                      Data journalism and social media merge, a call-out for 'crap' data journalism, and tips for creating a data resume.

                                      Spend your lunch with an endangered species on The California Condor Cam.

                                      Condor Cam

                                      Velocity NY Recap

                                      J. Paul Reed recaps the high points of Velocity New York, with several examples of what you'll be able to see as we get the full video package for Velocity NY ready to go. "The theme of real time everything in the city that never sleeps was a palpable undercurrent of numerous presentations: Facebook's Phil Dibowitz discussed how they scale configuration of their systems so it's possible for developers to directly control the infrastructure of the social networking giant..."

                                      The Internet of Things Needs the Laws of Robotics

                                      How will our connected world navigate ethics and morality? Rachel Roumeliotis talks with Joshua Marinacci about the quickly growing internet of things and what the future might hold in terms of consequences both foreseen and unexpected. Watch the video.

                                      4 Quick Links

                                      Save $200 off registration at AnDevCon (Nov 12-15, San Francisco, CA)

                                      AnDevCon

                                      AnDevCon is the technical conference for software developers building or selling Android apps. It will offer one day of intensive tutorials, followed by three days of technical classes. More than 1,000 software developers, engineers and entrepreneurs from 30 nations are projected to attend AnDevCon and choose from 70+ classes to bring Android open source development to a high level. Exhibits admission is free: visit more than 40 exhibitors! $200 discount with code ANDROID.

                                      Save 10% at ModevEast. (Dec 12-14 in McLean, VA)

                                      modeveast

                                      The schedule and speakers have just been announced for ModevEast Dec 12-14 in McLean, VA, the East Coast's most important mobile event of 2013. Three days of learning and networking that'll whip your mobile strategy into shape for 2014. 95+ mobile leaders have been confirmed so far including David Payne, Kelly Hoey, Maximiliano Firtman, Patrick Meenan, and Sian Morson. Plenaries and breakouts in Mobile Dev, UX, Marketing, and Enterprise. 3-Day passes available for just $219. Save an additional 10% with code ORMUG13.

                                      Don't Miss the Carpathia Tech Hero Tour

                                      Tech Hero Tour

                                      The Carpathia Tech Hero Tour is coming to a city near you! What is a Tech Hero you might ask? They're the under-appreciated and unsung heroes of the digital age, facing changing technologies, increased demands, and a variety of other forces. Find out when it is near you.

                                      Put Up a Banner & Get a Free Book—UG Leaders Only

                                      We're looking for groups to display our discount banners on their websites. If you send us your group's site with one or more banners posted, we'll send you the O'Reilly book(s) of your choice. Choose from the following list of banners:

                                      Find more at oreilly.com

                                    • Robert Brown
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 17, 2013
                                        Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                                        This week’s edition of the O’Reilly UG News is shown below. Of particular importance, note that the discount code has changed! Please use DSUG50 for 50% off on ebooks and videos. Members only!

                                        — Robert Brown
                                        — editor for SVMUG

                                        Begin forwarded message:

                                        From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
                                        Date: 2013 November 17 at 4:00:43 PM PST

                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znl6qubl414ja255aidcalcoemsc37eeu8iglnv8

                                        Send this to a friend
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zpdog5cic8mev42thv9e6rsl7iakdb92flqk9oco

                                        Uniting To Help Victims of Typhoon Haiyan

                                        Calling all developers, designers, NGOs and tech thinkers... we have launched a
                                        First Responders Geeklist #hack4good to help people and animals in the way of
                                        this horrific Super Typhoon. Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda), one of the strongest
                                        tropical cyclones ever observed, made landfall Friday Nov 8, in the Philippines
                                        and has devastated many regions of the country, killing thousands, destroying
                                        homes and communities and leaving over 300,000+ in evacuation centers. Find out
                                        how you can help.

                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zpeijhgl0tt0v2h3oh9p2cnhtsb0nca4bitspjn0

                                        Are your members getting the correct discounts?

                                        Please let your community know that the DSUG2 discount code is expiring, please
                                        share the new code DSUG50 with your members so they can receive 50% off ebooks and
                                        videos when shopping on oreilly.com.

                                        Available for Review

                                        The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books& videos.
                                        Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                        goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                        Designing for Behavior Change
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zha3cbq19f8bc00b9ge52vsq0d0b1crgicb1rbr8

                                        Ruby Under a Microscope
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znk4ssmptc6d6ihgfmltmujc9efk46et2tl8tvcg

                                        RESTful Java with JAX-RS 2.0, 2nd Edition
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zss2bdlni4sosr3o3k6ajig4j9nn6p0207s8o3e0

                                        It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                        events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                        "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                        deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                        ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                        New Releases

                                        Windows 8.1 Step by Step
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0velii7dqkj5is0rdk1r3vjmgpt89lfoorf5m9o

                                        OpenStack Operations Guide
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zb5o0b7b153mpokeitslskgl516c2307g1njj978

                                        The Dream Team Nightmare
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvlft95k73t285t7bfni59nduuu41eo4e4ubc118

                                        Lean Customer Development
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4i7jsfcgplbmeia50e1q8luve6r8dl0ul0hgcp0

                                        Heroku: Up and Running
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zdhh20l80hokfgufa86uooeccpua1u463ekohg4o

                                        Releasing HTML5 Games for Windows 8
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7uhvlptobegh13250rfnoruf7aop3h6bbdq04eo

                                        O'Reilly Webcasts: Meet Experts Online For Free!

                                        Raspberry Pi - Uses and Projects.
                                        Presented by Simon Monk.
                                        Tuesday, November 19
                                        10:00am PT, 1:0pm ET

                                        In this webcast, presenter Simon Monk author of Raspberry Pi Cookbook, aims
                                        to clarify the various niches into which a Raspberry Pi can fit and also
                                        showcase some of the more interesting uses of the Raspberry Pi with examples
                                        from the Internet and his own projects.

                                        Join us for this free hands-on webcast. You can enjoy this informative
                                        presentation from the comfort of your computer chair!

                                        To see more upcoming events and meet experts online visit
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zr2ett4uhcn7sc5ashgnjuqnjpbmr880mdub3adg.
                                        Register for this webcast:
                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd798tvh571trd6tuglko2oqtim487fjqc944bdo

                                        Fluent 2014 Hardware Showcase Call for Participation

                                        The Hardware Showcase makes its debut at the 2014 edition of Fluent. It's your
                                        chance to get your device in front of an audience of investors and alpha users.
                                        Selected finalists will get two free passes to attend.

                                        Our team of investors, entrepreneurs, and industry analysts will select eight
                                        leading devices from all the submissions we receive. These eight presenters will
                                        have a chance to present their technologies and tell their stories live at the
                                        Hardware Showcase on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 on our show floor. The top three
                                        devices will be presented during keynotes the following day.

                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ziii57robq5ek3nq1jj0feog0sd8jkrieq320st0

                                        Google Code-in contest introducing 13-17 year old students
                                        to open source begins November 18th

                                        The Google Code-in is a contest to introduce pre-university students
                                        (ages 13-17) to the many kinds of contributions that make open source
                                        software development possible. The Google Code-in 2013 contest runs
                                        from November 18, 2013 to January 6, 2014. Find out how you can
                                        participate.

                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zm0ifv9pduusbtdgtrcfjbgjca0run8pafik9590

                                        $50 Discount at the Stretch Conference (December 5-6, Budapest, Hungary)

                                        Use the coupon code "OreillyFrends" to get a 50USD discount! This December
                                        5th and 6th, Budapest will host inspiring stories from bestseller writers,
                                        leads and founders from great organizations as they talk about the tools and
                                        frameworks of successful managers.

                                        http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zutaqkstul90tcrocn9n0mv9mn19ouakarolet60
                                        Buy 1 Ebook, Get 1 Free with your user group discount code: DSUG50

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Dec 1, 2013
                                          Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                                          Below I have forwarded to you the December 1st O’Reilly Newsletter for user groups.

                                          Note the discount code for ebooks: DSUG50
                                          You should use this code for the O;’Reilly Cyber Monday Sale.

                                          — Robert Brown
                                          — Editor SVMUG

                                          Begin forwarded message:

                                          From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
                                          Date: December 1, 2013 at 4:00:18 PM PST

                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zd0ik1jum7biq5m6t5tjoug6mufod6ptghbv6up8

                                          Send this to a friend
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1ztsclo6qit2ldmnpks285q6v8oi0iabfijq2smfg

                                          Monday December 2 is our annual Cyber Monday sale.  Although you enjoy the 50% off
                                          ebooks and videos year round with your User Group discount code DSUG50, you can take
                                          today and share this benefit with your friends who aren't in your community.
                                          Please share this information with all your community members and spread the word.

                                          Are your members getting the correct discounts?

                                          Please let your community know that the DSUG2 discount code is expiring, please
                                          share the new code DSUG50 with your members so they can receive 50% off ebooks and
                                          videos when shopping on oreilly.com.

                                          Available for Review

                                          The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books & videos.
                                          Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                          goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                          Mobile HTML5
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0up12q0056o0ok6sf4s3p8cjjdvfpqprt69otgg

                                          Strata Conference New York + Hadoop World 2013: Complete Video Compilation
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z30817u29v09v793l04n8qeht173ao9vqm97cp0g

                                          Microsoft Visual Basic 2013 Step by Step
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zau0avbgjtar5h1v9i5jkgjrpsukjdpco5ionkf8

                                          It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                          events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                          "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                          deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                          ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                          New Releases

                                          ZooKeeper
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5rq13hhaatp6av2ce65dr6vsssj6fqeqics36f0

                                          Inside Microsoft SharePoint 2013
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1za4hv1ggq0dib8v44ej629spsg5te3j9lajksg0g

                                          Make: 3D Printing
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zp4u55smno40p1e6rsvs7mjmq739h0ie6cbfg49g

                                          Perl One-Liners
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4kmucpod9umb8hr1j1glhs9c1p6avc1i73e2b8g

                                          Build Awesome Command-Line Applications in Ruby 2
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znqr64hes0pphj4hbgk123h51cvgjgoukbkjusp0

                                          Developing Android on Android
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z48ufkuph1umtdq4urq8jd4dcdp7ns0lafgetaig

                                          We're always happy to offer your and your community access to our videos
                                          for review. We have hours and hours of free content on our YouTube channel,
                                          but many of our video compilations and in-depth training videos are only
                                          available for purchase.  If you or your community members would like to
                                          watch and review any of our videos, please send us a request via
                                          usergroups@...
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zi8ag8f8koalu9l41m853vb5gf601u32gocc2l18

                                          Stories we're following at O'Reilly

                                          The internet mystery that has the world baffled.  Can you solve it?
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z1adfu46d5bvq1f0pqkjkrp6ec5dv5gd2q86hss0

                                          Have you wondered about the origins of commonly used symbols? Find out from this
                                          interesting infographic at Visual.ly
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvsaj108ogeinr5k6m1lc6rbgsq7sfttbomhup0o

                                          Cultivating a Productive Commenting Community, Liz Berg's Ignite at Newsfoo
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zglc3i00895ms4krou1ckgvkqeerbnak3vqvuppg

                                          Upward Mobility: The Terror of iOS App Submission
                                          Getting apps into the store is a non-deterministic process
                                          by James Turner
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zv88if69vu6k6hean98u44bdtpqsctqt9d3lqcjg

                                          Several Ignite videos from our recent conferences will be interesting to you,
                                          and they only take 5 minutes to watch.

                                          George Orwell's 1984 - and how it continues to affect us - an Ignite Newsfoo talk
                                          by Benjamen Walker
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zcb54u5q78ivd7l21dnpjikhfvg44u8nk0gmkphg

                                          Jeremy Rue's 5-minute Ignite: "Breaking Narrative: Innovations in Online Storytelling"
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0srh0a99ubvm0eo4eo9jjhnq9f8820iijdtjiv0

                                          5 Things Firefighting Has Taught Me To Be A Better Developer by Rick Viscomi
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7ga5hji1bjghplhvrpquqgsfpdra07f02g2a18g

                                          Kat Matfield teaches us "5 Lies We Tell Each Other About Creativity"
                                          from Ignite Strata London
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zrq8g7uckeibklori51umco63rljtjbv0hhmgdmg

                                          What Science Fiction Can Teach Us About Building Communities by Dawn Foster
                                          http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zf2i9j6hem9iaf9h9h11frv2pqhkltps0itmafo8"

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Feb 2, 2014
                                            Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                                            Would you like a personal robotic assistant that if it senses you are sad, it will contact you girl or boy friend to let them know you need cheering up? The article on “The bot on the block” is worth a read. See the link shown below. You might wish to sign up for O’Reilly Radar notifications, from the article page.

                                            Also, again please note the user group discount code has changed. Details in the letter below.

                                            — Robert Brown

                                            Begin forwarded message:

                                            From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
                                            Date: February 2, 2014 at 4:01:02 PM PST

                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zmpq3pti29uauve33nk3rknug2uudqbaspand9vg

                                            Send this to a friend
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zk7si9e64qlpa4mhve53aj2soe4cakk0p4cole60

                                            Curious about ghost hearts, garage lab safety, DNA origami, and the Enlightened
                                            Renaissance? The second issue of BioCoder is now available. Download the quarterly
                                            newsletter for DIYbio, synthetic bio, and more for free. Read it, share it with a
                                            friend, and join the biotechnology revolution.

                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjireq6l5g1gr62561s39bemevfn8f81hp8bi510

                                            Are your members getting the correct discounts?

                                            Please let your community know that the DSUG2 discount code is expiring, please
                                            share the new code DSUG50 with your members so they can receive 50% off ebooks and
                                            videos when shopping on oreilly.com.

                                            Available for Review

                                            The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books & videos.
                                            Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                            goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                            Thinking with Data
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj9frfrv62fciofh3dftclk97qf3akrn16p565jg

                                            Ask, Measure, Learn
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztoda2aj89d53cqdls46eosp4amc4f0o5912vm18

                                            Mobile Design Pattern Gallery
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ziub3u6qransvo1ljsp80nl6br75t4d97cnvfi78

                                            It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                            events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                            "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                            deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                            ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                            New Releases

                                            Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 37
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z5jq7jb2eudfggsug327mvire9eul0sck9napfn0

                                            Java Cookbook
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z0mcg3fbta2has619j8onpu7br5k27dnbe3dth90

                                            Make: AVR Programming
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zojke2g7c749nun878c5ugkln296m3h130ho2bu8

                                            Java 8 Lambdas
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhg0u01goap09nj9n562u5cfqr60ck2c6en34hmo

                                            Oracle PL/SQL Programming, 6th Edition
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjkuh0bpeb3gevij78ti8klp8als0r2176ddsaj0

                                            eXist
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjedbls5focbi7gv5p02hrqajl5bi2p7mig389l8

                                            We're always happy to offer your and your community access to our videos
                                            for review. We have hours and hours of free content on our YouTube channel,
                                            but many of our video compilations and in-depth training videos are only
                                            available for purchase.  If you or your community members would like to
                                            watch and review any of our videos, please send us a request via
                                            usergroups@...
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z19brheujobid7h1di5u3j9l59dh5pdkaco0l788

                                            Stories we're following at O'Reilly

                                            The new bot on the block - How robotics are changing everything
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zun1s92j831ef7flmpcn16rv8jtrt3k24au9jk00

                                            Using Big Data and Game Play to Improve Mental Fitness - Digital tools and
                                            data analysis to stay sharp, stay well, and overcome illness
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1za4o1jufae164pjnm0rscmok6amm1vgrrnpdi7g0

                                            Biological games - Pac-Man of the microscopic world
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfh34h1pbhl4kdherh4eut5cl2b151958p7o6mto

                                            Health 3.0 is Holistic - If Health 2.0 meant adding devices, then the next
                                            wave means incorporating more than just technology
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znti64trmr6l00uqage0l9a1b878ebs1j1njqfh8

                                            What I use for data visualization by Ben Lorica
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqateb9l11f3ophp15v1026erirculroq874oe7g

                                            Building rich web UIs with knockout.js -  Live coding a shopping cart and other
                                            rich web UI goodness
                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7fvra473h1lv3clo5ua5rlkqbonjmcml1eogudg

                                            Welcome our newest Community Managers

                                            Hello team! As the new Data Community Manager for Strata, I am passionate about
                                            everything O'Reilly Media stands for and believe in the power of entrepreneurship
                                            & technology to change the world. My fascinations include tech start-ups, big data
                                            and the future of online media. Formerly a serial entrepreneur and tech marketer,
                                            I specialize in social media, digital branding, PR and turning online conversations
                                            into meaningful business opportunities & relationships. I look forward to working with
                                            all of you!

                                            Tell Annalis what cool Data-related projects you're working on via twitter or email
                                            aclint@... | @annalisclint

                                            Hello, world! I'm the freshly installed Community Manager for all things programming
                                            at O'Reilly Media. While part of my job is to connect folks with relevant offerings
                                            from O'Reilly, I also serve as a community advocate. Being a UG leader myself, I know
                                            it's a labor of love and so I'll jump at the opportunity to support you and your work.
                                            If you run a programming related UG and we haven't chatted yet … ping me!
                                            @joshsimmons | jrsimmons@...

                                            Vizualized - New Ideas for Designing Data Experiences (Feb 6-7 NYC)

                                            Visualized is an inspiring two-day gathering of the brightest minds and social
                                            innovators from around the world who are changing how we understand and interact
                                            with data. Expect to learn from powerful data-driven narratives. Expect to gain
                                            new ideas for designing data experiences. Expect to laugh at intelligent deviance.
                                            Perhaps more than anything else, expect a progressive, smart, and unique event that
                                            feels more like a community than just a conference. While you're there, find these
                                            O'Reilly experts, MaryTreseler @MaryTreseler, Edie Freedman @ederfiy, and Julie
                                            Steele @jsteeleeditor.

                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhv31li08grhfmltk4lpk461fs7av4lmo001lrf8

                                            Get your $200 discount at SPTechCon (Apr 22-25 San Francisco)

                                            SPTechCon is the world's premier independent event for SharePoint. The format includes
                                            90+ technical classes, workshops and breakout classes with content geared to IT
                                            professionals, business managers and developers. It features top Microsoft MVPs,
                                            dozens of expert MS speakers and solutions from 40+ exhibitors (exhibits admission
                                            is FREE!). Receive a $200 discount off either the prevailing price of a 4-day or
                                            3-day pass by inserting the code OREILLY when prompted on the reg page. Register
                                            early for even more savings!

                                            http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z7gjd8ad8lklt7ld23fiju3bc074hntsh6pord1o

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Feb 16, 2014

                                              Begin forwarded message:

                                              From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
                                              Date: February 16, 2014 at 4:01:05 PM PST

                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zorm48oebampdrll3j47gfk4js8up9qru6q9h1gg

                                              Send this to a friend
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1zqj8fmrasnmddm92oasuahk9ht0h0muq42s2n010

                                              Hello,

                                              During the Strata Online Conference on January 8, Scott Murray author of
                                              Interactive Data Visualization for the Web presented a webcast featuring
                                              our Atlas Platform. If you'd like to find out more, watch From Scattered
                                              to Scatterplot in 2 Hours: An Introduction to d3.js.
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zauuvd3nou7jf15rohdjpu1r65cjd3dub46gg7bg

                                              Cheers,

                                              —Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                                              P.S. We'll be at the Southern California Linux Expo February 21-23, come by our
                                              booth and say hi to Jon
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z6mdlt4kn4b89b0p97vdacecbpib0ruh4r6qakig

                                              Are your members getting the correct discounts?

                                              Please let your community know that the DSUG2 discount code is expiring, please
                                              share the new code DSUG50 with your members so they can receive 50% off ebooks and
                                              videos when shopping on oreilly.com.

                                              Available for Review

                                              The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books & videos.
                                              Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                              goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                              Designing Multi-Device Experiences
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zt2v8vchuuauvmg4acnqhiopg57c9ukq3fn9ndt0

                                              Flask Web Development
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlksn3h9rpllb9v961m5o6s4lehmocftme490s40

                                              Learn to Program with Scratch
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zn9cmtfjfi05vo6gn1prf39do4l2nos7rdpabac8

                                              It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                              events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                              "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                              deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                              ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                              New Releases

                                              Creating Apps in Kivy
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zura2e4ii8r5kor1m68aq633omqr2f98bbnp97vo

                                              Programming Windows Store Apps with C#
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z2msdhlld6t665d35ml69103tm9sq7fhj8na5rh0

                                              Learning Web App Development
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zstad2rjlh2f5af4er09hb5cv67fh5ra6qfelv5g

                                              Network Security Through Data Analysis
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zplh0joa515guctiu1t48727fsaocjkn8edi8hgg

                                              Make: Basic Arduino Projects
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zs8nd4tltp1as20k3hrudlj74ln0d2otgg4orebo

                                              Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Mavericks Edition
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1ztpmp5l5oth9ieg1qd3i0d0bot3mestnbfjbdttg

                                              We're always happy to offer your and your community access to our videos
                                              for review. We have hours and hours of free content on our YouTube channel,
                                              but many of our video compilations and in-depth training videos are only
                                              available for purchase.  If you or your community members would like to
                                              watch and review any of our videos, please send us a request via
                                              usergroups@...
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zcuemkgpq872mipnt3euivu30bgtn6vj8s9juovo

                                              Stories we're following at O'Reilly

                                              Why Ruby blocks exist - Exploring Ruby's "each" method from Jay McGavren
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8416gknhagsuci9o538qp77q453qh884pak76h8

                                              Searching for the software stack for the physical world - Very much a work
                                              in progress, the stack for IoT will require rethinking every layer of the
                                              protocol stack from Matthew Gast
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z07mf769mka8650v17mj9grsj7tjec9e0501vlhg

                                              The art of commenting - Is commenting your code a waste of time, or programmer
                                              gold? By Brian MacDonald
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zqtldp9h04nh6ao7kas7a55slsvollhg80gt9sr0

                                              More 1876 than 1995: How the Internet of Things is more 'the Industrial Revolution'
                                              than the 'digital revolution' from Glen Martin
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zkqt4rsl15kfr3h4pal8va7sibu79thrfh2mpsfo

                                              Quick Links:

                                              Every two weeks Bad Voltage delivers an amusing take on technology, Open Source,
                                              politics, music, and anything else we think is interesting, as well as interviews
                                              and reviews. The show is presented by Jono Bacon, Jeremy Garcia, Stuart Langridge,
                                              and Bryan Lunduke.
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zaq6uqsi94uvf9sf52p69thufq5kq9avjpd3veko

                                              Lessons from the History of Communities – Why They Matter Today and Tomorrow
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvnd9lgjt9o410dkbs4r6tn8or2umuaq98jr25t0

                                              4 Elements to Creating a “Sense of Community” by Dr. David McMillan
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zon35q9pua0nagdpstfakuaniimg4utkr9oerdmg

                                              Steal These Community Management Tips From CMX Summit Presenters
                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z45l1lr835v55e4rudm0m6ulnugimuu0h9jkqkj8

                                              http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z34ef96dtvuf6hjulel85k0481ntd98nqvfq3beo

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 16, 2014
                                                Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

                                                A reminder: when you have used a book purchased from O’Reilly, please consider writing a short review. You can post itself as suggested below in the “Available for Review” section, and you may also if you wish send the review to me. I will post on our site, and into Google+.

                                                Now, while the book titles mentioned below are in the programming realm, especially web programming, you should note that O’Reilly publishes a lot of titles that are very interesting for non-programmers. Look at http://shop.oreilly.com/category/browse-subjects.do . Titles that come to mind for the Mac user are "OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual” which is written by you-know-who, and MacBook Pro Portable Genius, 5th Edition By Galen Gruman. Going further afield, we have Cool Tools in the Kitchen By Kevin Kelly, Steven Leckart .

                                                — Robert Brown
                                                - editor, SVMUG

                                                Begin forwarded message:

                                                From: Marsee Henon and Jon Johns <usergroups@...>
                                                Date: March 16, 2014 at 4:00:26 PM PDT

                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zlh6072atqmep4ejaboo3ul6v2rnn59epe14hij8

                                                Send this to a friend
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/f2f/9z1z4e27ro2khja8f4oigqeboidhao019ps91tmuadg

                                                Hello,

                                                We're running a series of five excerpts from our forthcoming book
                                                Designing for Emerging Technologies, a compilation of works by industry
                                                experts in areas of user experience design related to genomics, robotics,
                                                the Internet of Things, and the Industrial Internet of Things. The most
                                                recent excerpt, Thinking with things, is available now.
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zfcjjgvnta3gubns05i5l3toor555notc65oucmg

                                                Cheers,

                                                Marsee Henon and Jon Johns

                                                Available for Review

                                                The UG team is looking for reviewers for the following books & videos.
                                                Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com,
                                                goodreads.com and/or your blog.

                                                The Web Platform
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zj3tdcvngdsch5r47qm49ilb24cq40ffr9faoa1g

                                                Google Apps Script
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z4voc91eu8nral4fmljskp2tjcqtq5ttev6foa00

                                                Java 8 Pocket Guide
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zttuvtu3730e87hbpnun35mb03nq396qflh9quv8

                                                It's easy for you to get books for your meeting or special
                                                events -- just email usergroups@... and include the words
                                                "book request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your
                                                deadline and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free
                                                ebook certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers.

                                                New Releases

                                                Data Structures and Algorithms with JavaScript
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zjgl9741g2bqfi6u4vl21lt8mrk8crrjhmkj7aa0

                                                Python for Finance
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zm478fee8k9k0rclpqpnt7tvol069h4vpfqqldbo

                                                Suits and Spooks Washington DC 2014: Complete Video Compilation
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zef9jm5r16u589simu4i3cds0j81hlea6ml0ebr8

                                                The Book of F#
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znfnqe5dbuls9or7pjm2b7spdqen25e9ni2vd348

                                                Clojure Cookbook
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1znmju8t95sbtbaiq5n3bif8uiqp4uon2jdjst9uo

                                                Learning MCollective
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zg0rcf0vnknt1g18gk19bra4ob6rp0a23cc6qkgg

                                                We're always happy to offer your and your community access to our videos
                                                for review. We have hours and hours of free content on our YouTube channel,
                                                but many of our video compilations and in-depth training videos are only
                                                available for purchase.  If you or your community members would like to
                                                watch and review any of our videos, please send us a request via
                                                usergroups@...
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zast9h76eu0ec6pa66murccf9pifh7l0mcinpijo

                                                Stories we're following at O'Reilly

                                                The Creep Factor: How to Think About Big Data and Privacy
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zsvhf0soj32nhn4d23v9ik8k3o6c3m12kilhf7ho

                                                Understand the four layers of JavaScript OOP in one short lesson
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zehien7pkie3qepreeuth1262sro494s1vid3ri0

                                                The new PHP
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9l2q6e626p9qsalt81u4oddrifu30cs03am5ooo

                                                Death to the screen
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zl448p9kbgualct9au7sqfahf1c60s5rqbk7qoro

                                                A concrete approach to learning how to program
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z32nbdpj8ce6l3duphr4apklpv7sb1mn65r7pq70

                                                Lean Urbanism - What is the "minimum viable product" for urban renewal?
                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zhrhlegg6konmfnffbgv62vkktu9bv50gnqfdbbg

                                                Save on Chef Conference registration (San Francisco, CA, April 15-17)

                                                Join over 1,000 Chef contributors, users and enthusiasts in San Francisco at ChefConf
                                                this April 15-17, 2014. This conference features talks from IT leaders representing
                                                some of the most dynamic companies and thinking in the world. Keynote speakers include;
                                                Justin Arbuckle - GE Capital, Jeffrey Einhorn - Target, James Prolizo - InterContinental
                                                Hotel Group & Jordan Dea-Mattson - Yahoo. Don't miss the definitive assembly for the
                                                tens of thousands-strong Chef community. Use code OREILLY-TIP for a discount.

                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z9jb02r0rvu1mopbs7nk0rsl5fdfaelqoj59lf18

                                                Deadline for TechFest2014 is March 31st (Pittsburgh, PA, June 7)

                                                This is the third edition of the non-denominational software development technology
                                                conference in Pittsburgh. Any topic related to software development on any language
                                                or platform (or no technology, if you wish to talk about the softer side) is welcome.
                                                They had a wide mix of topics and presenter levels (beginner to professional) last year
                                                and would love to have that again. If you are newer to speaking and feel intimidated
                                                by trying to pull together a full-length presentation, they also have a time period of
                                                30 minute talks, which can also be a good length for a narrowly focused talk.
                                                The event is June 7, 2014 at La Roche College in the North Hills area of Pittsburgh.
                                                There are hotels nearby, but please note they cannot pick up your travel expenses as
                                                this is a volunteer nearly free ($10-20) conference. They expect around 300 people to
                                                attend. Please submit your talks (note that you can submit multiple talks - we will
                                                generally only select one per speaker and will consult with you before selecting
                                                more than one.)

                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1z8egqkskk5al3kti7bd6o0itbud0pupnhnnihcf8

                                                Save 15% on ModevUX + Best price ends March 24 (McLean, VA, May 19-20)

                                                A good user experience is as important to the mobile experience as the ones and zeroes
                                                behind the apps and websites. It puts people at the center of every product and
                                                development decision you make. The program and speaker list have been announced for
                                                ModevUX, the premier conference event at the intersection of mobile and user
                                                experience—May 19-20 in McLean, VA. Join us for two days of deep dive workshops,
                                                breakout sessions, insightful talks and keynotes from 40+ speakers. Featured speakers
                                                include Josh Clark (Global Moxie; Author, Tapworthy), Lea Verou (W3C; Author,
                                                CSS Secrets), and Sian Morson (Kollective Mobile). See the full schedule and save 15%
                                                with code UX14ORM. Best Price expires March 24.

                                                http://post.oreilly.com/rd/9z1zvgvr704kinusck7lg9nkskme1r3q2ehrll1e3o0