Re: [svmug] Running Snow Leopard as VirtualBox virtual machine

  • Jose Francisco Medeiros
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2012
      Hi Len,

      Glad to her that you got it working, just to clarify, you did mean 10.7.4 Lion, and not 10.6 Snow Leopard?

      Out of curiosity how did you resolve your software Raid external drive mounting issue?

      Is the Newer Technology textural hard drive, hardware based RAID  working with Lion correctly?

      Jose F. Medeiros
      408-256-0649 Google Voice

      On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Len <MacREALTOR@...> wrote:

      I'm successfully running OS X 10.6.4 Lion, after reformatting my internal drive, then clean installing from a bootable clone of Snow Leopard with the Lion installer, which automatically imported all my old settings and data. This left me with a lot of old crud, which I had to gradually deal with. I'm still dealing with post-install issues.

      While, trying the following isn't feasible for me, with a Fall 2006 MacBook Pro, with the maximum 3 GB RAM, it may work for others, with a late model Mac with a lot of RAM. Licensing is a separate issue.

      The Reader Report here, posted on 6/18, describes running Snow Leopard as a VirtualBox virtual machine in Lion, so as to have a Rosetta solution.

      http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/virtualbox_user_reports.html#storytop

      Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
      Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
      http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
      Broker, DRE#00460258

      RE/MAX Real Estate Services
      19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
      Cupertino, CA 95014

      Director, California Association of REALTORS®
      President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®

      408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
      408-252-9819 Fax

    • Len
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2012
        Sorry, Jose, that was a typo. I meant that I had installed OS X 10.7.4 Lion. My SimpleTech Pro Duo is a software based RAID (configured as a RAID-0) and it won't mount under Lion. I had read that software based RAIDS wouldn't work due to a bug Apple introduced in 10.7.4. My hardware based Guardian MAXimus, is a hardware based RAID-1, purchased from Other World Computing. It works fine under 10.7.4.

        Last night, during Jose Kissell's Q&A, I asked him about my problem. He said that he was only familiar with software based RAID's configured with Apple's software. I clarified that the Pro Duo was a hardware package that I had purchased from Fry's Electronics. I had read that it was software based. He said that he didn't have an easy solution for me. There are new situations that are difficult, even for experts like Joe Kissell, who gave a captivating 90 minute presentation last night, including Q&A.

        I suspect that I'll have to boot from a 10.6.8 Snow Leopard partition on the ProDuo, connect a new drive via Firewire 800 and received my data that way. The fan bearings were already failing, and I learned shortly after I bought it, that it had a high failure rate. So, data recovery this way seems my best long term solution. It only served as a secondary backup, with my most important backups being on the Guardian MAXimus. We now see why multiple backups are so important!!!! :-)

        Thanks,
        Len

        --- In svmug@yahoogroups.com, Jose Francisco Medeiros <jose.medeiros@...> wrote:

        > Hi Len,
        >
        > Glad to her that you got it working, just to clarify, you did mean 10.7.4
        > Lion, and not 10.6 Snow Leopard?
        >
        > Out of curiosity how did you resolve your software Raid external drive
        > mounting issue?
        >
        > Is the Newer Technology textural hard drive, hardware based RAID working
        > with Lion correctly?
        >
        > Jose F. Medeiros
        > 408-256-0649 Google Voice
        >

        > On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Len <MacREALTOR@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > I'm successfully running OS X 10.6.4 Lion, after reformatting my internal
        > > drive, then clean installing from a bootable clone of Snow Leopard with the
        > > Lion installer, which automatically imported all my old settings and data.
        > > This left me with a lot of old crud, which I had to gradually deal with.
        > > I'm still dealing with post-install issues.
        > >
        > > While, trying the following isn't feasible for me, with a Fall 2006
        > > MacBook Pro, with the maximum 3 GB RAM, it may work for others, with a late
        > > model Mac with a lot of RAM. Licensing is a separate issue.
        > >
        > > The Reader Report here, posted on 6/18, describes running Snow Leopard as
        > > a VirtualBox virtual machine in Lion, so as to have a Rosetta solution.
        > >
        > > http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/virtualbox_user_reports.html#storytop
        > >
        > > Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
        > > Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
        > > http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
        > > Broker, DRE#00460258
        > >
        > > RE/MAX Real Estate Services
        > > 19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
        > > Cupertino, CA 95014
        > >
        > > Director, California Association of REALTORS®
        > > President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®
        > >
        > > 408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
        > > 408-252-9819 Fax

      • Jose F. Medeiros
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2012
          Hi Len,

          I assumed as much. Your idea to, " boot from a 10.6.8 Snow Leopard partition on the ProDuo, connect a new drive via Firewire 800 and received my data that way," is probably best. Once you have transferred your data, I would re-create the RAID array is RAID 1 ( Mirrored ) under Lion, so you have some level of redundancy and can still recover from a drive failure.

          Have a great week!

          Jose F. Medeiros