Fwd: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--May1

  • Robert Lawson Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2012
      Hello SVMUG and SMUG members,

      I have forwarded the latest news from O'Reilly below. There are several items that I had not previously known about. First, an ongoing concern of our society is that young girls are discouraged from STEM careers by tacit cultural pressures. The Greenlight for Girls (g4g) nonprofit organization provides projects just for girls. At OSCON July 18 and 19, they will be offering a "Mission to Mars" robotic project.

      Next is the community garden that O'Reilly has set up, which provides food for persons with serious illnesses. The work is done by teenage volunteers. They are seeking a grant, and your vote for them online will help. Read the details below. The garden has already produced over 100,000 meals.

      Finally, a book "Fitness for Geeks". "It takes an holistic approach to fitness from the perspective of appreciating the science and process of fitness. "

      -- Robert Brown
      -- editor for SVMUG

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Marsee Henon & Jon Johns" <usergroups@...>
      Subject: Books and News from the O'Reilly User Group Program--May1
      Date: May 1, 2012 6:42:10 PM PDT

      View this information as HTML in your browser, click here:

      Forward this announcement to a friend:

      With all this fantastic weather we've been enjoying, it's easy to see
      why so many great things have started to bloom. Maker Faire is around
      the corner and events like the Make Hardware Innovation Workshop and D2W
      have popped up on the radar. The Ceres garden in the back of the
      O'Reilly Sebastopol campus is taking shape and looking for support.
      Also, the Greenlight for Girls robotics project just sprouted up in the
      OSCON Expo hall and looks to be the premier event for young aspiring
      engineers. And remember to get those review book requests in so our UG
      strike force have plenty of time to process your request.

      Marsee Henon & Jon Johns

      Available for Review

      The UG team is looking for book reviewers for the following books.
      Consider posting your reviews on Amazon, Slashdot, oreilly.com, and/or
      your blog.

      - Photoshop CS6: The Missing Manual
      - JavaScript Step by Step
      - Node Up and Running

      It's easy for you to request books for your meetings or special
      events--just email usergroups@... and include the words "book
      request" in the subject line. Don't forget to include your due date
      and shipping address. Prefer ebooks? We can send you a free ebook
      certificate to print out for raffles or book reviewers

      New Release Titles:

      Fitness for Geeks

      Android Cookbook

      Using Drupal

      PayPal APIs: Up and Running, 2nd Edition

      Illustrated Guide to Home Biology Experiments

      The Art of Community, 2nd Edition

      D2W (May 16-18, Kansas City)

      D2W is a workflow conference with sessions including collaboration,
      HTML5, CSS3, Mobile design, gaming, Wordpress, tons of UX topics,
      Javascript, PhoneGap, Sencha and SO much more. Speakers include Adobe
      Evangelists, Lynda.com video authors and more book authors than you can
      imagine. More info and signup below.

      Help support the Ceres Community Garden at O'Reilly

      The Ceres Community Garden is the new garden behind O'Reilly where all
      the food grown goes to meals for people with serious illness, while teen
      volunteers do the majority of the gardening and cooking. The Ceres
      garden is a finalist in a grant competition from Deloach Vineyards and
      with our help they can win funding and publicity in Organic Gardening
      Magazine. This grant goes to the top five community gardens with the
      most votes and they need our help getting them so please take a minute
      and go online to vote for them. Just click on the last picture in the
      second row here:

      You can vote everyday until August 6th, so consider adding a reminder to
      your calendar today.

      Greenlight for Girls

      Greenlight for Girls will be running a robotics project in the OSCON Expo
      Hall for girls ages 11 to 15. It's open to anyone, not just
      daughters of OSCON attendees.

      Here's the OSCON info:

      And the g4g Eventbrite form:

      If you know of a nonprofit organization using open source technologies
      to support their cause, mission, or community goals, encourage them to
      apply for a complimentary booth in the Nonprofit Pavilion at OSCON. In
      addition to the booth space, we'll also provide a 3-Day Pass to OSCON
      and exposure on oscon.com. Applications are due May 3.

      Also, don't forget that the Best Price ends May 3 so register early to
      get the best savings.

      PyOhio comes to Columbus

      PyOhio is one of the largest Python conferences in the midwest, and the
      largest entirely free Python conference anywhere. PyOhio 2012 will take
      place Saturday-Sunday, July 28-29, 2012 at the Ohio State University in
      Columbus, Ohio. A variety of activities are planned, including
      tutorials, scheduled talks, Lightning Talks, Open Spaces and Sprints.

      Day Against DRM

      Keep an eye on a special surprise in celebration of the Day Against DRM
      this week, it's going to be a really good one--nudge nudge wink wink

      - Top Technical Roadblocks Keeping Your Website from Being Seen by
      - Hacking and Securing iOS Applications
      - The Best of Velocity--Know Your Engines: How to Make Your JavaScript

      - OSCON Banners
      - Maker Faire Badges/Banners
      - Fluent Conference banners
      - Velocity Conference banners

      O'Reilly Ebooks--Your bookshelf on your devices

      1005 Gravenstein Highway North
      Sebastopol, CA 95472
      Follow us on Twitter @oreillyug