Apple security update for Snow Leopard kills Rosetta & my Quicken 2007!!!!

  • Len
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
      http://www.macworld.com/article/165207/2012/02/snow_leopard_update_breaks_rosetta_third_party_offers_fix.html

      I got bitten bad by Apple, yesterday, and I just found out what the problem was. Since I can still run Quicken 2007 when booted from a SuperDuper! cloned backup, I'm likely to wait at least a few days for a fix from Apple, rather than appling the third party partial fix, described in the article. ANYONE HAVE A GUESS HOW LONG APPLE WILL TAKE TO FIX THIS?

      Here is a description of what I encountered.

      1. Installed the Apple Security Update 2012-001 for OS X 10.6.8 yesterday.

      2. This morning Quicken 2007 would run, but wouldn't print, and worse, couldn't save a backup by using the Back Up To Disk... function from the Quicken File menu, as it would crash Quicken.

      3. Since I could run Quicken from my bootable clone and not have the problem, I knew I didn't have a corrupted Quicken file.

      4. Ran Applejack, then began running DiskWarrior, when I got an email on my iPhone from MacWorld, indicating that my problem was likely the Apple Security Update.

      Does anyone have any suggestions, and has anyone applied the third party fix?

      Thanks,

      Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
      Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
      http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
      Broker, DRE#00460258

      RE/MAX Real Estate Services
      19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
      Cupertino, CA 95014

      Director, California Association of REALTORS®
      President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®

      408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
      408-252-9819 Fax
    • John Kaufmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
        Had the same problem re crashing upon backing up. Reopened quicken and data is OK.
        Please let me know if and when there is a fix

        John Kaufmann (SMUG)

        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
          There is now an Apple fix. About to write a reply to my own initial post, explaining more.

          Thanks,
          Len

          --- In svmug@yahoogroups.com, John Kaufmann <grovejohn@...> wrote:

          > Had the same problem re crashing upon backing up. Reopened quicken and data is OK.
          > Please let me know if and when there is a fix
          >
          > John Kaufmann (SMUG)
          >

          > On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:18 PM, "Len" <MacREALTOR@...> wrote:
          >
          > > http://www.macworld.com/article/165207/2012/02/snow_leopard_update_breaks_rosetta_third_party_offers_fix.html
          > >
          > > I got bitten bad by Apple, yesterday, and I just found out what the problem was. Since I can still run Quicken 2007 when booted from a SuperDuper! cloned backup, I'm likely to wait at least a few days for a fix from Apple, rather than appling the third party partial fix, described in the article. ANYONE HAVE A GUESS HOW LONG APPLE WILL TAKE TO FIX THIS?
          > >
          > > Here is a description of what I encountered.
          > >
          > > 1. Installed the Apple Security Update 2012-001 for OS X 10.6.8 yesterday.
          > >
          > > 2. This morning Quicken 2007 would run, but wouldn't print, and worse, couldn't save a backup by using the Back Up To Disk... function from the Quicken File menu, as it would crash Quicken.
          > >
          > > 3. Since I could run Quicken from my bootable clone and not have the problem, I knew I didn't have a corrupted Quicken file.
          > >
          > > 4. Ran Applejack, then began running DiskWarrior, when I got an email on my iPhone from MacWorld, indicating that my problem was likely the Apple Security Update.
          > >
          > > Does anyone have any suggestions, and has anyone applied the third party fix?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
          > > Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
          > > http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
          > > Broker, DRE#00460258
          > >
          > > RE/MAX Real Estate Services
          > > 19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
          > > Cupertino, CA 95014
          > >
          > > Director, California Association of REALTORS®
          > > President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®
          > >
          > > 408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
          > > 408-252-9819 Fax

        • Bev Angros
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012

            There's a fix coming out now:

            Bev Angros
            Bev Angros's  Macintosh Training & Troubleshooting
            510-910-6554
            computerbev@...

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
              I have now fixed my Rosetta problem, with Apple's newly released v1.1 of the problem Apple Security Update.

              http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/02/03/available.via.software.update.for.1068.users/

              Whew!!! Caused a lot of stress and lost productivity.

              Thanks,
              Len

              --- In svmug@yahoogroups.com, "Len" <MacREALTOR@...> wrote:

              > http://www.macworld.com/article/165207/2012/02/snow_leopard_update_breaks_rosetta_third_party_offers_fix.html
              >
              > I got bitten bad by Apple, yesterday, and I just found out what the problem was. Since I can still run Quicken 2007 when booted from a SuperDuper! cloned backup, I'm likely to wait at least a few days for a fix from Apple, rather than appling the third party partial fix, described in the article. ANYONE HAVE A GUESS HOW LONG APPLE WILL TAKE TO FIX THIS?
              >
              > Here is a description of what I encountered.
              >
              > 1. Installed the Apple Security Update 2012-001 for OS X 10.6.8 yesterday.
              >
              > 2. This morning Quicken 2007 would run, but wouldn't print, and worse, couldn't save a backup by using the Back Up To Disk... function from the Quicken File menu, as it would crash Quicken.
              >
              > 3. Since I could run Quicken from my bootable clone and not have the problem, I knew I didn't have a corrupted Quicken file.
              >
              > 4. Ran Applejack, then began running DiskWarrior, when I got an email on my iPhone from MacWorld, indicating that my problem was likely the Apple Security Update.
              >
              > Does anyone have any suggestions, and has anyone applied the third party fix?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
              > Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
              > http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
              > Broker, DRE#00460258
              >
              > RE/MAX Real Estate Services
              > 19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
              > Cupertino, CA 95014
              >
              > Director, California Association of REALTORS®
              > President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®
              >
              > 408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
              > 408-252-9819 Fax

            • Len
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                Thank you Bev! I just posted info on the successful fix!

                Len

                --- In svmug@yahoogroups.com, Bev Angros <bevangros@...> wrote:

                > There's a fix coming out now:
                >
                > http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/02/03/available.via.software.update.for.1068.users/
                >
                > Bev Angros
                > Bev Angros's Macintosh Training & Troubleshooting
                > 510-910-6554
                > computerbev@...
                >

                > On Feb 3, 2012, at 5:34 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
                >

                > > Had the same problem re crashing upon backing up. Reopened quicken and data is OK.
                > > Please let me know if and when there is a fix
                > >
                > > John Kaufmann (SMUG)
                > >

                > > On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:18 PM, "Len" <MacREALTOR@...> wrote:
                > >

                > >> http://www.macworld.com/article/165207/2012/02/snow_leopard_update_breaks_rosetta_third_party_offers_fix.html
                > >>
                > >> I got bitten bad by Apple, yesterday, and I just found out what the problem was. Since I can still run Quicken 2007 when booted from a SuperDuper! cloned backup, I'm likely to wait at least a few days for a fix from Apple, rather than appling the third party partial fix, described in the article. ANYONE HAVE A GUESS HOW LONG APPLE WILL TAKE TO FIX THIS?
                > >>
                > >> Here is a description of what I encountered.
                > >>
                > >> 1. Installed the Apple Security Update 2012-001 for OS X 10.6.8 yesterday.
                > >>
                > >> 2. This morning Quicken 2007 would run, but wouldn't print, and worse, couldn't save a backup by using the Back Up To Disk... function from the Quicken File menu, as it would crash Quicken.
                > >>
                > >> 3. Since I could run Quicken from my bootable clone and not have the problem, I knew I didn't have a corrupted Quicken file.
                > >>
                > >> 4. Ran Applejack, then began running DiskWarrior, when I got an email on my iPhone from MacWorld, indicating that my problem was likely the Apple Security Update.
                > >>
                > >> Does anyone have any suggestions, and has anyone applied the third party fix?
                > >>
                > >> Thanks,
                > >>
                > >> Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
                > >> Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
                > >> http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
                > >> Broker, DRE#00460258
                > >>
                > >> RE/MAX Real Estate Services
                > >> 19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
                > >> Cupertino, CA 95014
                > >>
                > >> Director, California Association of REALTORS®
                > >> President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®
                > >>
                > >> 408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
                > >> 408-252-9819 Fax

              • Jose Francisco Medeiros
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                  Len,

                  You are not going to like my answer, but why are you still using an older version of Quicken?  Do you really think that Apple should be the one to release a fix, or should it be Intuit, since it's there application?

                  Check out this forum.

                  http://quicken.intuit.com/support/help/install--register--and-convert/quicken-for-mac-compatibility-with-mac-osx-10-7-lion/GEN83208.html

                  Is Quicken for Mac Compatible with Mac OS 10.7 Lion?

                  Updated: 1/30/2012 | Article ID: GEN83208

                  Will Quicken for Mac work on the new Mac operating system, Lion (Mac OS X 10.7)?

                  Presently, Quicken for Mac 2005, 2006 or 2007 will not work on Lion. However, a Lion-compatible version of Quicken for Mac 2007 will be available soon.

                  Quicken Essentials for Mac will currently work on Lion. If you are using Quicken Essentials for Mac, make sure you are on the latest Quicken Essentials patch version for full compatibility.

                  Jose :-)

                  On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Len <MacREALTOR@...> wrote:

                  Thank you Bev! I just posted info on the successful fix!

                  Len

                  --- In svmug@yahoogroups.com, Bev Angros <bevangros@...> wrote:

                  > There's a fix coming out now:
                  >
                  > http://www.macnn.com/articles/12/02/03/available.via.software.update.for.1068.users/
                  >
                  > Bev Angros
                  > Bev Angros's Macintosh Training & Troubleshooting
                  > 510-910-6554
                  > computerbev@...

                  > On Feb 3, 2012, at 5:34 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
                  >

                  > > Had the same problem re crashing upon backing up. Reopened quicken and data is OK.
                  > > Please let me know if and when there is a fix
                  > >
                  > > John Kaufmann (SMUG)
                  > >

                  > > On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:18 PM, "Len" <MacREALTOR@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > >> http://www.macworld.com/article/165207/2012/02/snow_leopard_update_breaks_rosetta_third_party_offers_fix.html
                  > >>
                  > >> I got bitten bad by Apple, yesterday, and I just found out what the problem was. Since I can still run Quicken 2007 when booted from a SuperDuper! cloned backup, I'm likely to wait at least a few days for a fix from Apple, rather than appling the third party partial fix, described in the article. ANYONE HAVE A GUESS HOW LONG APPLE WILL TAKE TO FIX THIS?
                  > >>
                  > >> Here is a description of what I encountered.
                  > >>
                  > >> 1. Installed the Apple Security Update 2012-001 for OS X 10.6.8 yesterday.
                  > >>
                  > >> 2. This morning Quicken 2007 would run, but wouldn't print, and worse, couldn't save a backup by using the Back Up To Disk... function from the Quicken File menu, as it would crash Quicken.
                  > >>
                  > >> 3. Since I could run Quicken from my bootable clone and not have the problem, I knew I didn't have a corrupted Quicken file.
                  > >>
                  > >> 4. Ran Applejack, then began running DiskWarrior, when I got an email on my iPhone from MacWorld, indicating that my problem was likely the Apple Security Update.
                  > >>
                  > >> Does anyone have any suggestions, and has anyone applied the third party fix?
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks,
                  > >>
                  > >> Len Walther, CDPE Advanced, e-PRO, GRI
                  > >> Certified Distressed Property Expert, Advanced
                  > >> http://www.LenCanHelp.com/
                  > >> Broker, DRE#00460258
                  > >>
                  > >> RE/MAX Real Estate Services
                  > >> 19200 Stevens Creek Blvd, Ste 210
                  > >> Cupertino, CA 95014
                  > >>
                  > >> Director, California Association of REALTORS®
                  > >> President's Choice Award, 2002, Santa Clara County Association of REALTORS®
                  > >>
                  > >> 408-252-9800 Ext 2537 Phone
                  > >> 408-252-9819 Fax

                • Christopher Price
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                    Jose, I think you're misunderstanding the situation.

                    A security update to Snow Leopard broke Rosetta in Snow Leopard. Apple has since issued a fixed update, which restores Rosetta functionality.

                    This had nothing to do with Quicken 2007 other than it is a PowerPC application. All PowerPC applications were affected by the broken Snow Leopard update.

                    Christopher Price

                  • Jose Francisco Medeiros
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 4, 2012
                      Hi Chris,

                      I misunderstood that it was a Rosetta issue, thank you for clarifying that.
                      It's obvios that Quiken Elements probably is not going to be a good replacement for Quicken 2007,and Quicken is dragging there feet on compiling a new release to run native on a x86 Intel based SISC processors.

                      Jose :-)

                    • Roger Smith
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2012
                        The fix was released yesterday as v1.1 of Security Update 2012-001.
                        Last checked, it was only available via Software Update.

                        Roger Smith, Artegenix, 408-736-7200
                        Complete System& Network Administration
                        Windows, Mac, Cisco
                        Apple Consultants Network
                        Microsoft Registered Partner, Small Business Specialist