Reading my iTunes downloaded iPad book Reamde on a MacBook Pro

  • Adjuvantjfoster
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
      Roughly once every three years I treat myself to a few days of on into the night reading of Neal Stephenson's latest book Reamde.

      Downloading the book as an iBook into iTunes has allowed my to read it on my iPad.

      I am curious about Reading my iTunes downloaded iPad book Reamde on a MacBook Pro.

      Much as I hate to appear "Unclear on the Concept", any thoughts about how this may be done?
    • Robert Lawson Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2011
        Hello everyone,

        The only method I know of to do this (there may be better ways) is to open the book from the iTunes library in an ePub compatible reader application, such as Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com). Calibre is an open source, donation funded, application. It supports a huge variety of document types. The user interface is, for me, a little confusing, but it only takes a little hunting-and-pecking to work it out.

        Proceed as follows:

        1. Download and install Calibre on you desktop Mac, running Leopard or later.

        2. Open Calibre.

        3. Add a book: you will browse to your iTunes library, in the "Books" folder. The folder is organized by author.

        4. Adding a book will copy it from your iTunes library into your Calibre Library. I do not know if that is actually necessary -- possible but untested alternatives are to set the Calibre Library to be the same folder as the iTunes Library Books folder, or to create aliases.

        5. In Calibre, view the book.

        If anyone has another method, please lets hear about it!

        -- Robert Brown