question about the cameras in the new ipad

  • Nancie
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
      what is the megapixel of the rear facing camera in still mode? i ended up not buying the latest ipod touch once i found out that the camera in it was less than 1 megapixel ( it took a long time to get that answered at the apple store when i went in to buy it ) . it doesn't specify the MP in the tech specs listed. i hope one of you guys from apple can find out the answer to this, i'm getting an ipad 2 regardless but husband wants to know.

      thanks

      nancie
    • Charles Gousha
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011

        The Mac Observer has a spec chart (comparing the iPad 2 against the iPad 1 and the Motorola Xoom) that suggests the rear camera is a 5 megapixel size.  I'm not sure if that's accurate, since it can easily have a different resolution between the video and still modes, but that's as good as I can find.

        On Mar 2, 2011, at 11:24 AM, Nancie wrote:
        what is the megapixel of the rear facing camera in still mode? i ended up not buying the latest ipod touch once i found out that the camera in it was less than 1 megapixel ( it took a long time to get that answered at the apple store when i went in to buy it ) . it doesn't specify the MP in the tech specs listed. i hope one of you guys from apple can find out the answer to this, i'm getting an ipad 2 regardless but husband wants to know.

      • Dietrich Fellenz
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011

          __,_._,_I am in the process of consolidating three generations of Macs, and retiring one.
          (There is a fourth one (Centris 650)  in the garage : )
          The first step would be to move info from  the G4 iMac to the Mac mini running under Snow Leopard.

          Then, the info from the G3-Power PC (all Classic) is going to the G4 iMac, which I intend to run entirely under OS 9 and Classic.  With it goes (hopefully) the Roland Sound Canvas to work with my Encore music software.

          Here is the situation:  The Sound Canvas gets its inputs thru the G3 modem cable.
          The question is whether on G4 the modem port would  still be the place to look for  the Sound Canvas inputs.

          If Yes, I would need an adapter from the G3 modem cable to the G4 modem port.

          If No, would the USB connector perhaps carry that info? In that case I would need an adapter from modem cable to USB.

          The USB- to G3-modem cable adapter can be ordered from MAC-PRO.
          Nobody seems to have heard of  a  G3- to G4- modem port adapter.

          At this point I am stuck, and I am wondering if somebody could  come up with a workable approach to connecting the Sound Canvas to the G4.
          I would really appreciate any help.

          Thanks, Dietrich Fellenz      408.379.8764 (w. recorder)I am in the process of consolidating three generations of Macs, and retiring one.
[...]

          The first step would be to move the info from  the G4 iMac to the Mac mini running under Snow Leopard.

[...]

        • Jose F. Medeiros
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
            Hi Dietrich,

            Let me ask a stupid question, since I have never used Sound Canvas, is this a music recording software and midi card? My google search comes up with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas

            My other question is, why are you not upgrading to a newer Intel X86 based Macintosh, so you can use the latest supported software, is it due to budget issue's?

             A G5 tower may be a better choice for a lower cost Mac that is still supported, as some models also have a PCI and PCI-E slot, for a Midi Card.

            Jose

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2011
              Are you talking about inputting through the Mac serial port, or the actual dial-up modem inside a Power Mac G3?

              If you're using a dial-up modem to feed the MIDI data, that may be difficult getting compatibility. You may be locked into that hardware. I seriously doubt more modern modems (and their drivers) would relay the MIDI data to an app properly.

              If it is using a Mac serial port, there are some USB adapters that provide Mac OS X compatibility, and may even work with newer software like GarageBand.

              Unfortunately, I don't know very much about the various MIDI solutions, so that's about all the input I can provide.

              Christopher Price

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
                Hi Chris,

                I think you hit the nail on the head, he may have a din adapter ( similar to a PS2 connector on a PC ) that uses the serial port on his older Nubus / Motorola 64000 cpu /  Power PC based Mac, and he is confusing it with the modem port.

                Jose

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 6, 2011
                  You are likely looking for a way to get a DIN-8 serial connection onto a newer USB-based Mac.
                  There are two possibilities:

                  1) You can try using the original Roland adapter, attached to a Keyspan USB-Serial Adapter.  These things work great under Classic and Mac OS X.

                  2) if (and this is a BIG IF) the Roland uses the original MIDI boxes, then a USB-MIDI adapter might do the trick.

                  or... we have entirely the wrong idea about what you're using, in which case posting a photo of the cable/box/plug would be a good idea.

                  From: Dietrich Fellenz <dietrich.fellenz@...>
                  Date: Friday, March 4, 2011, 9:23 PM

                  I'm in the process of consolidating three generations of Macs, and retiring one.
[...]

                  Charles Gousha     coordinator - Silicon Valley Mac User Group

                  http://www.svmug.org

                  User group meetings 7pm, third Monday of each month

                • Dietrich Fellenz
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
                    Hi Jose and Christipher,
                    Thanks for responding.
                    The Roland Sound Canvas is a is a midi sound generator.  It is controlled thru midi commands from  the Encore music edit program on  the G-3 Mac.  The connection is with an DIN-8 pin cable from the modem port.  There is no midi card involved.

                    MEANWHILE, I corresponded with Charles  Gousha  which he solved my problem, AS FOLLOWS.

                    Hi Charles,
                    Thank you very much for your assessment, and for your recommendation of the Keyspan USB Twin Serial Adapter.  This will solve the  problems of connecting my Sound Canvas as well as my DEC Laser printer to the G-4.  This is wonderful !

                     It has been quite an adventure to get to this point.  I started at the Oakridge Mall Genius Bar who sent me to MAC-PRO. We went thru Serial to PS-2, ADB to USB, and almost got it right .  Then I was having doubts about which port on the G-4 was the proper one, but there was nobody with enough knowledge to think thru the situation.

                    Again, Thank you very much,
                    Dietrich

                    On Mar 7, 2011, at 13:53, Charles Gousha wrote:

                    The PhoneNet connector won't help you.  It's meant for phone-wire-based networking, rather than dial-up phone stuff.

                    You'll be wanting to use a USB-serial adapter, which you can plug the Roland box into.

                    On Mar 7, 2011, at 12:40 PM, Dietrich Fellenz wrote:

                    Hi Charles,
                    Thanks for responding,
                    My Roland Sound Canvas uses indeed a DIN-8 serial plug input, same as the G-3 Modem Port.  On my G-4 , what is labeled  modem port,  is a telephone port.   I cannot find a DIN-8 serial input port on the G-4.  So, is there something inherently wrong with using a PhoneNET converter  between the G-4 modem port  phone connector  and the Sound Canvas DIN-8 connector?
                    Dietrich

                    On Mar 7, 2011, at 10:54, Charles Gousha wrote:

                    Your question got posted to the SVMUG mail list OK, and has a few people (including me) confused.

                    The ports on the G3 and G4 are DIN-8 serial ports.  These are labelled "Printer" and "Modem" from legacy times.
                    A lot of serial devices can be plugged into these,
                    These are separate from a possible RJ-11 Telephone Modem port these Macs might have, for direct plugin of a dial-up phone wire.

                    The big question is... what are you plugging in?
                    We can't tell if the Roland device has a telephone connection, a serial connection, a MIDI connection, or something entirely different.
                    Can you give me (us) a better description of the plug and adapter?

                    On Mar 5, 2011, at 8:27 PM, Dietrich Fellenz wrote:

                    Hi Charles,
                    With reference to my yestrerday's message, I feel really stupid about my question:

                    I just realized that the G4 modem port is a telephone port.  And I have, already  in my possession, a PhoneNET converter from telephone to G3-modem connectors.
                    The G4 running under OS 9 will not be connected to the internet, so there should not be any conflict.   What do you think?
                    Thanks,
                    Dietrich

                    Charles Gousha
                    Mass Storage SQA
                    phone 4-8246

                    Charles Gousha
                    Mass Storage SQA
                    phone 4-8246

                    After posting my message I realized that the modem port on the  G-4 is a telephone connector

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 7, 2011
                      Thank you for replying and letting us know that it was only a serial port that you needed to have the Roland Sound Canvas working.

                      Most Mac Genius are fairly young and although usually knowledgeable on most newer Apple products, some times lack the experience with older Mac's, to resolve such issue's, however it looks like the person you spoke with guided you in the right direction.

                      Have a great week,

                      Jose F. Medeiros