Scanner report in weekly TidBITS n/l (#1038)

  • Scott T Spencer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2010
      Not too long ago, the SVMUG mail list contained an email dialog
      regarding a choice of scanners -- in which one participant
      recommended considering a Fujitsu ScanSnap model and another product
      called "the Doxie".

      I was pleased to see that this week's edition of the long-running (20
      years?) Mac email newsletter called TidBITS has a lengthy review of
      just exactly this same pair of scanners. Check below for access to
      "issue 1038". The issue also covers the most recent iMac models and
      some other software items/issues of note. It's all at
      http://db.tidbits.com/issue/1038
      (I believe the website provides for searching the earlier weekly
      issues, possibly all 1,037 versions.)

      The scanner article was written by Joe Kissell. Many of us will
      recall when he visited SVMUG (several years back) to speak about
      "backup issues" shortly before he left CA to move to Paris, where he
      apparently still lives. He is now and has been a frequent contribute
      to the TidBITS series of ebooks. These are the ebooks called "Take
      Control of XXX". (I'm depressed to note that my message is a few
      days late -- as when I first got it, they were having a good sale on
      their entire line. That offer has now expired.)

      Scott

      P.S. I'd also note that I'm about three years into my usage of a
      Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner; and, I'm a pretty contented customer. (I
      believe I first saw my scanner at yet another SVMUG meeting.) Not
      cheap; but, it does pretty much what they originally claimed.
      However, it's no replacement for a flat-bed photo scanner. I scan
      almost everything that arrives at my house in the way of financial &
      legal documents plus a running stream of newspaper clippings. (Input
      is two-sided material, both sides scanned simultaneously. Output is
      multi-page PDFs - color or B&W, as I choose. OCR is a possibility.)
      My PDF storage system makes no sense at all; but, it's all in there
      somewhere. I can't say that for the original paper documents.

      --
      Scott T. Spencer aka stspencer@...
      Menlo Park, CA
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2010
        My favorite home based scanner is still the HP 8500 Office Jet. The cost of the Ink Catridges versus per page cost is the lowest in the industry,and it is easily networked with a Mac or a PC.

        As for professional Photographer scanners, I am at a lost which brand and model is best.

        Jose :-)