Advice for my Dad...

  • Michael Ellard
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010

      Greetings, all!

      My dad wrote me with the following technical question.  You can see my response below.  Any further thoughts for him?

      Sincerely,

      Michael Patrick Ellard

      On 1/31/10 11:26 AM, my dad wrote:
      I got this message yesterday.  Obviously it is a fake.  However, the "sender" is a friend and they have the correct return address and his first name.  From the number of comments he has received, they have his entire address book.

      Do you have any suggestions as to what he should do next?

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
        Re: [svmug] Advice for my Dad... When this happened to me (I got the fake email from a neighbor, two apartments down the complex), the only place that the victim had my email address and name was in his cell phone. He had sent a message to me once he'd gotten his family to the vacation in Bejing. I replied to his message - I was just watching his apartment for him.

        I assume it could still be his computer, as I got the fake email from his account once they had returned.

        An other message I'd heard about came as a result of a Facebook malware problem - but it was the exact same message.

        It's not a solution, just a suggestion on where to work.

        Joy