A sick G5 :(

  • macglobalus
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
      Hello, I have a G5 1.6GHZ uniprocessor 1.5GB RAM, 80GB HD. We have recently changed the
      motehrboard for a new one and give it a new HD. The machine didnt work before but since
      we changed those two elements we were able to install MACOS X 10.4.11 tiger with no
      problems but, after that the moment the HD takes over the machine will freeze everytime i t
      tries to access yahoo mail, youtube, suing any mail client or when accessing multiple pages
      at the same time. I have tested every element/part of the machine in other machines and
      they all seem to work fine as afar as I can see but once I reassemble them the machine fails.

      Any suggestion on how to solve this mistery ?? I will be extremely thankfull of any suggestion
      that might help , thanks again , sincerely

      d.g.i gabriel o lorenzo
    • Robert Lawson Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2009
        Hi Gabriel,

        I notice that the failures seem to be associated with network activities.

        Here are some things to check. First, when the network application freezes, is the whole computer frozen? Can you command-tab to the Finder and run a non-network application? If so, the problem is definitely related to some network interaction.

        If that is the case, does the freeze last for about two to ten minutes or so? Will it unfreeze if you wait long enough? If so, the computer is likely waiting for a DNS response. The software received an acknowledgement from the DN server, so it thinks the server is alive, but the server then just did not deliver the DN resolution. The network application (Safari, Mail, etc) will just hang until it times out.

        When you start up the computer, with the network connected (e.g. ethernet plugged in), does the startup process seem to pause a long time after the initial progress bar but before the Finder appears? If so, unplug the network from the computer, and try restart. If that restart is significantly faster, it indicates  that the DNS setting or other network connectivity fault is likely a problem.

        One of the most likely is that the DNS setting is incorrect -- the server specified for DNS may be a poor choice. Recently a lot of customers for Earthlink have experienced significant slowdowns, which in one case I diagnosed, it was a DNS response delay problem.

        Now, if the above is not the case, the problem is a little more hidden. But the fact that it seems to be triggered by network applications seems to direct diagnosis to the network settings.

        Other weird stuff that can cause mysterious network slowdowns: faulty cables, malfunctioning modems, even seemingly unrelated devices like USB connected printers and speakers.

        -- Robert Brown

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 4, 2009
          Hello, thanks for answering
          No, I can not command-tab to other applications, once it freezes it stays like that forever.
          I have a modem-switch-router type of connection but I have no control over the DNS or
          IPs on my network. The modem assings those numbers automatically . The start up time is
          just the same with or without network connection. The problem is present with or without
          USB, speaker etc connected. What I have not tried is removing the internal modem but
          seems just a cry in the night. I have other G5 2.0 dual with its internal modem on and is
          just doing fine.
          I tried this morning new disk new RAM and a new ethernet cable and the problems just
          keeps coming back but yes the problem is only network related. I have tried applejack and
          it seem to worked yesterday but today after starting it i got a kernel panic. Shut it down
          and again got a frozen machine :(
          I've tried ASD 2.5.8 and it reports that all components in the machine are running OK.
          It makes no sense whatsoever and it makes me wanna run out and buy a wintel machine.

          I'lll keep you posted on the internal modem removal , thanks again

          gabriel