need advice...

  • Nancie
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2007
      okay my old G4 imac flat screen which has been slowly dying for
      awhile ( had developed the click of death noise, this machine also
      had some major repairs under warranty, but i'm not sure they were
      ever completely fixed properly ) pretty much went you know what last
      night. there is an error on the HD that disk first aid can't fix at
      all. managed to boot back up from the HD and burn 2 dvd's of stuff
      to back up but then on the 3rd dvd the dvd drive started making
      horrible horrible wrong sounding noises while burning then it stopped
      and said it coudn't burn the disk pulled out the disk and it's got
      rings etched in it, (i thought dvd drives were non contact? ) so i
      tried another disk. same thing. then i tried putting in a blank disk
      but not burning it. and it made the noise and all just from trying to
      read it and when it came out it also had rings etched in it.

      so at this point i am not willing to put in a system disk or disk
      warrior disk to try to fix the HD or to do what i want to do which is
      do a secure wipe of the drive so i can dispose of the mac. coz it
      would just ruin the disks are there any other options for wiping
      the drive so i can dispose of it? either that or we will just have to
      pull out the HD before taking it in. is the ram in these things
      worth salvaging if we need to crack it open? hubby thinks it's the
      HD controller that is part of the issue as this thing had 3 new HD's
      put in ( including the current one ) during warranty and each one
      developed click of death and died. but now i have the DVD drive
      issue on top of it. so i certainly don't think it's worth trying to
      repair at the point.

      nancie
    • Jose Medeiros
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2007
        Hi Nancie,

        My suggestion is that you buy a USB or Firewire external case for your hard drive and use that to migrate your data to your new Mac. They are any where from 16.95 for USB 2.0 at Central Computer to 45.00 or so for a Firewire enclosures at Old World Computing .

        http://www.centralcomputers.com/commerce/ccc1250-external-removable-storage.htm

        http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/specials/

        Micro Center, Best Buy's, Fry's and Circuit City also have them on Sale from time to time.

        Jose :-)