Installation of Internet Explorer as somehow my IE got corrupted

  • Corwin Pon
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
      I am a novice to Macs and have an Ibook G3.

      As stated in the title, somehow my IE got corrupted so I put it in
      the Trash Can.

      Unforunately, my few friends who have an Ibook know even less than I
      do.

      I tried to load an IE CD and up came the Installer. After I went
      through the installation, it said it was done but I do not have IE
      on either the desktop or in my Docket.

      I would have thought that part of the installation would have been
      to place an IE symbol in either my desktop or my Docket.

      Finally, I decided to extract the one in the Trash Can but as
      expected, it gave me an error message.

      Can somebody help me with this?

      Corwin Pon
    • Clyde Lerner
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007

        Corwin,

        Forget about Internet Explorer.

        Go to www.getfirefox.com – try installing it. This is much easier for Macs then IE.

        Clyde

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
          Corwin,

          I haven't used IE in forever and am not familiar with the install
          process you described. However, applications typically get installed
          in the Applications folder. If you open a Finder window and press
          "Shift-Apple-A" it should take you straight to the Applications
          folder. Check in there for your IE icon. If it's there you can drag
          it to the Dock for future access.

          Unless you absolutely must have Internet Explorer, I'd recommend
          Safari, Firefox, Opera - all free, all good.

          Regards,

          Chris

          On Apr 4, 2007, at 12:12 AM, Corwin Pon wrote:

          > I am a novice to Macs and have an Ibook G3.
          >
          > As stated in the title, somehow my IE got corrupted so I put it in
          > the Trash Can.
          >
          > Unforunately, my few friends who have an Ibook know even less than I
          > do.
          >
          > I tried to load an IE CD and up came the Installer. After I went
          > through the installation, it said it was done but I do not have IE
          > on either the desktop or in my Docket.
          >
          > I would have thought that part of the installation would have been
          > to place an IE symbol in either my desktop or my Docket.
          >
          > Finally, I decided to extract the one in the Trash Can but as
          > expected, it gave me an error message.
          >
          > Can somebody help me with this?
          >
          > Corwin Pon

        • Albert Yan
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
            I agree. Unless the site absolutely requires Exploder, using Safari and Firefox is a much better option. Exploder on the Mac doesn't even do well on some sites that are built for "standard" IE!

            Chris Insinger <chris_insinger@...> wrote:
            Corwin,

            I haven't used IE in forever and am not familiar with the install
            process you described. However, applications typically get installed
            in the Applications folder. If you open a Finder window and press
            "Shift-Apple-A" it should take you straight to the Applications
            folder. Check in there for your IE icon. If it's there you can drag
            it to the Dock for future access.

            Unless you absolutely must have Internet Explorer, I'd recommend
            Safari, Firefox, Opera - all free, all good.

            Regards,

            Chris

            On Apr 4, 2007, at 12:12 AM, Corwin Pon wrote:

            > I am a novice to Macs and have an Ibook G3.
            >
            > As stated in the title, somehow my IE got corrupted so I put it in
            > the Trash Can.
            >
            > Unforunately, my few friends who have an Ibook know even less than I
            > do.
            >
            > I tried to load an IE CD and up came the Installer. After I went
            > through the installation, it said it was done but I do not have IE
            > on either the desktop or in my Docket.
            >
            > I would have thought that part of the installation would have been
            > to place an IE symbol in either my desktop or my Docket.
            >
            > Finally, I decided to extract the one in the Trash Can but as
            > expected, it gave me an error message.
            >
            > Can somebody help me with this?
            >
            > Corwin Pon

            This has been a mailing from the SVMUG discussion group.
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:svmug-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:svmug-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Corwin Pon
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
              Clyde,

              Thank you for the fast response.

              I have two problems with this suggestion.
              My primary computer is a Windows XP which is a lot of my reason for probably maintaining the status of being a novice.
              Therefore, I do not have a Mac to get onto the Internet to do a download of any type.
              Then strangely, as I have OS X 10.2.8 and the download that I attempted but I do not remember from which website as you have supplied me with one, my download said that
              it is compatible with any OS X 10.2.x version but even before I started the download I received an error message saying that it is not compatible with my OS and so somewhat logically, after I downloaded anyway, Firefox did not work on my Mac.

              Personally, I find that at least for doing searches on on-line companies, Firefox seems to get me a better list of companies that Google might list on subsequent pages.

              Corwin

              Clyde Lerner <clydelerner@...> wrote:
[...]

              Never miss an email again!
              Yahoo! Toolbar

            • Leonard Wong
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
                Here is a link to the current version of FireFox for Mac:

                I would recommend using your Windows XP box to download FireFox for the Mac, then copy it to a USB disk.

                When "installing" FireFox, remember to copy it out of the mount disk image folder and put it into your "Applications" folder. Software installation techniques are vastly different on Mac then it is on Windows. A fair amount of software no longer requires an installer on the Mac.

              • dobbier@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2007
                  Jose
                  When you meet with Corwin check out his G3. It may have come with an AirPort Card installed.

                  I have an iBook G4 that has an AirPort Extreme card installed. I did not know that it was there
                  until run About this Mac; More Info (System Profiler) and discovered that indeed I did have an AirPort card. I use dial-up (cost) rather than DSL or broadband.  I will need to get a device to boost my computer's ability to receive the wireless signal from the nodes that are on light poles in my Sunnyvale area.

                  Dobbie Roisen

                  **************************************
                  See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
                • Jose F. Medeiros
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 2007
                    I hope that no one minds that I am replying to the list, however
                    several people on the list may want to know what I did to resolve
                    Corwin's issue.

                    First I tried deleting the Explorer Preference folder and binary
                    files, then we reinstalled Internet Explorer 5.2, it installed with
                    out any errors, however once we tried to start it, the application
                    failed.

                    I then downloaded FireFox for Mac OSX, installed it, launched the
                    application and received the same error that I received with Explorer.

                    Then I tried reapplying Mac OS 10.2.8 Combo update thinking that
                    several libraries required may be missing ( Corwin did not have his
                    10.2 install CD's so I wanted too try this first )

                    After the 10.2.8 install completed and we rebooted, the same error
                    still occurred with Safari, Explorer and FireFox.

                    I then decided to create a new user account and profile to see if his
                    profile was the problem. Once we logged in with the new account all
                    three applications worked. Corwin was okay with using the new
                    account, so I just moved his data to his new profile.

                    Regards,

                    Jose Medeiros
                    MCP+I, MCSE. NT4 MCT
                    http://www.sjpc.org/~medeiros