Re: [BMUGSouth] [Mac-L] Re: Brands of recordable CD's

  • rob_hennessy@hyperion.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2002
      Along that same line of thought,...

      I was wondering if anyone has tried labeling their DVD-R disks? The packaging of the labeling systems I've seen don't mention dvd disks. Are the disks or drives more sensitive. I would like to protect and label them, too. The Apple disks say to use a soft tipped marker for labeling. Please let me know if anyone has been successful.

      -Rob

      Scott Spencer <stspencer@...>

      06/29/2002 01:41 AM
      Please respond to BMUGSouth

              To:        Macintosh News and Information <Mac-L@...>, smugusergroup@yahoogroups.com, BMUGsouth@yahoogroups.com
              cc:
              Subject:        [BMUGSouth] [Mac-L] Re: Brands of recordable CD's

      >I want to buy some CD-R's (25-50) and am concerned about the
      >substantial variations in prices.

      On Monday last, a speaker at a local computer club meeting (BMUG
      West, San Francisco, CA) does "CD labeling software" as his line of
      business.  He noted that the actual "recording layer" of a CD is VERY
      near the upper surface of the CD and is covered above -- only by a
      thin layer of "shellac" (either that or varnish).  He asserted that
      most CD damage actually occurs thru abrasion of the upper layer of
      that upper layer.  A small grain of anything abrasive scratching the
      UPPER CD surface and biting into the recording layer -- voila, your
      disk is gone!  Two main conclusions were drawn, to wit
        o avoid cheap CD blanks -- as they have marginal protective shellac
      layers as compared to better brand names with some reputation to
      maintain
        o protect the upper surface (using his product, naturally)

      This seems counter-intuitive in that we all look thru the bottom of
      CDs and can see the recorded "tracks" -- but that recording layer,
      which resembles a "kaiser foil" (aluminum ??) disc -- DOES SEEM
      physically distant from the bottom.  So, I'm now thinking of sticking
      blank CD labels on some of my more important CDs.  Before that talk
      -- I thought labels were just put there as an advertising gimmick.

      Cheers, Scott

      Free $5 Love Reading
      Risk Free!
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/3PCXaC/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/Z_EolB/TM

    • dticzon
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
        Rob:

        I have checked out many DVDs from the San Jose Public Library,
        which the Library stuck on a Plastic label that covers the entire
        top surface of the DVD. I have never had any problems playing
        these DVDs. So I guess the answer is...no...I don't think the
        attachment of a lable will affect the playback of a DVD.

        Dave.
      • cgousha
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
          --- In BMUGSouth@y..., rob_hennessy@h... wrote:
          > I was wondering if anyone has tried labeling their DVD-R disks?
          > The packaging of the labeling systems I've seen don't mention
          > dvd disks. Are the disks or drives more sensitive. I would like to
          > protect and label them, too. The Apple disks say to use a soft
          > tipped marker for labeling. Please let me know if anyone has been
          > successful.

          The crucial factor when using disc labels is the balance of the disc.

          Adding a label can potentially throw a CD horribly off balance,
          causing
          your CD player to slow down or, in extreme cases, reject the CD. So
          while stick-on labels can be a good thing to protect heavily used
          CDs,
          be very careful to center them correctly when applying them.

          DVDs are a different ball of wax. First of all, the data layer is
          dead
          center in the disc, so there's no worry of accidentally scratching it
          and destroying data. In addition, DVD discs are MUCH more sensitive
          balance issues. (I've seen commercial DVDs fail just because of
          lopsided printing on them!) I heartily recommend against stick-on
          labels of any sort on DVDs.

          As for writing on the discs, I recommend a Sharpie. It's permanent,
          and it doesn't affect the data layer at all.
        • Mark Loundy
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2, 2002
            I can't speak to DVDs, but do not use Sharpies on regular CDs. The
            solvent in them can, repeat can, damage the top layer and render the
            disk useless. There are specialized pens for writing on CDs.
            Unfortunately I do not have the name for you.
            --

            Mark Loundy
            http://www.loundy.org

            http://www.mediawoorks.com
            Media Consulting and Video Production
          • Ron Leppke
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2002
              I attended a DVD Expo and was given a DVD marker by one of the vendors.
              I have recently looked vigorously for it but can't find it. The point,
              however, is that such items do exist.

              Ron

              On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 11:33 PM, Mark Loundy wrote:

              > There are specialized pens for writing on CDs.
              > Unfortunately I do not have the name for you.

              Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
              RDL Associates
              lepprd@...
              Ti G4 500
              Mac OS 10.1.5 & 9.2.2
            • tedphoto
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 13, 2002
                --- In BMUGSouth@y..., Ron Leppke <lepprd@a...> wrote:
                > I attended a DVD Expo and was given a DVD marker by one of
                the vendors.
                > I have recently looked vigorously for it but can't find it. The point,
                > however, is that such items do exist.
                >
                > Ron
                >
                > On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 11:33 PM, Mark Loundy wrote:
                >
                > > There are specialized pens for writing on CDs.
                > > Unfortunately I do not have the name for you.
                > >

                > Ronald D. Leppke, Ed.D.
                > RDL Associates
                > lepprd@a...
                > Ti G4 500
                > Mac OS 10.1.5 & 9.2.2

                Do a search in Google (Yahoo) for "CD Marker Pen", you will find
                a whole bunch of listings. TDK makes one which sells for $2.25.
                When I seached it was the first one in the list.