PNY USB SM card reader problem...

  • bvorbau
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2002
      I bought a PNY USB SM carder reader (Staples $14.94) for my
      daugher to use. It works as advertised on my Mac, a G3/300
      Beige DT usnig OS 9.0.4. I have a PCI USB card and USB
      Adapter Card Support 1.4.1 software.

      The Mac she is using is a G4/400 with native USB ports and OS
      9.0.4. When I insert a card into the reader on her machine, up
      pops a "Don't understand this format, Do you want to
      initialize...." which, of course, I cancel. Since the reader
      works on one machine it must be something in the system
      software, something corrupt or missing. Unfortunately, this
      machine belongs to the family she stays with and so I don't have
      `carte blanche' to re-install the system etc.

      I have done some testing on my G3/300 Beige DT and these are
      not required for the reader:

      Foreign File Access
      High Sierra File Access
      ISO 9660 File Access
      UDF Volume Access
      HID Library
      USBHIDUniversalModule
      ---
      Without these the USB mouse does not work:

      USB Device Extension
      HID Library
      USBHIDUniversalModule
      ---
      Without these, nothing happens, not even a message, but it may
      be different on a Mac with native USB ports:

      USB Mass Storage Extension
      USB Mass Storage Support

      ---
      The other thing I consider was the File Exchange Control Panel
      but I don't think it should be involved.
      I'm running out of ideas. Can anyone help?

      Bill Vorbau