Safari popups/iPod in the car

  • Candice Basham
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
      I updated to the latest security for OS X but am still getting some
      popups. Has anyone else had this problem.

      Has anyone had any luck getting their iPod to work through their car's
      FM radio? My Belkin didn't do such a great job. I was told at the Apple
      Store that it works
      in areas with few stations, which would have been nice to have known
      before I wasted my $$.

      Also, when is the next meeting?

      thanks,

      Candice
    • Matt Gawlowski
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
        Yes, I've been getting popups occasionally too. I think the websites
        are just getting smarter and finding a way around the blocking.

        I've gotten my iPod to work through my car stereos using an AirPlay
        (XtremeMac), but the sound quality isn't great and I find myself
        frequently having to switch stations as I drive. It's a nice
        convenient approach, but I still prefer being hardwired in to the
        stereo's auxiliary input port where possible. If anyone wants to try
        out the AirPlay, let me know and I'll bring it to the next meeting.

        -Matt G.

        ps - next meeting is 3/21 (3rd Monday of every month)

        On Mar 1, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Candice Basham wrote:

        > I updated to the latest security for OS X  but am still getting some
        > popups. Has anyone else had this problem.
        >
        > Has anyone had any luck getting their iPod to work through their car's
        > FM radio? My Belkin didn't do such a great job. I was told at the
        > Apple
        > Store that it works
        > in areas with few stations, which would have been nice to have known
        > before I wasted my $$.
        >
        > Also, when is the next meeting?
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > Candice
      • Albert Yan
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
          There are too many stations in the Bay Area - so you end up having to
          constantly change stations to keep your iPod playing through the car
          stereo. I had to retune twice during my drive to and from work. I gave
          up and bought the cassette adapter instead. Totally reliable, no
          changing stations cr*p AND it sounds a LOT better! $20.

          Albert

          --- Matt Gawlowski <whitemr2@...> wrote:

          > Yes, I've been getting popups occasionally too. I think the websites
          >
          > are just getting smarter and finding a way around the blocking.
          >
          > I've gotten my iPod to work through my car stereos using an AirPlay
          > (XtremeMac), but the sound quality isn't great and I find myself
          > frequently having to switch stations as I drive. It's a nice
          > convenient approach, but I still prefer being hardwired in to the
          > stereo's auxiliary input port where possible. If anyone wants to try
          >
          > out the AirPlay, let me know and I'll bring it to the next meeting.
          >

          > -Matt G.
          >
          > ps - next meeting is 3/21 (3rd Monday of every month)
          >
          > On Mar 1, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Candice Basham wrote:
          >
          > > I updated to the latest security for OS X but am still getting
          > some
          > > popups. Has anyone else had this problem.
          > >
          > > Has anyone had any luck getting their iPod to work through their
          > car's
          > > FM radio? My Belkin didn't do such a great job. I was told at the
          > > Apple
          > > Store that it works
          > > in areas with few stations, which would have been nice to have
          > known
          > > before I wasted my $$.
          > >
          > > Also, when is the next meeting?
          > >
          > > thanks,
          > >
          > > Candice

        • Frank Sandy
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
            Mine is the same, never has worked well. I ended up getting a cassette
            adapter and it works great but you need to have a cassette player.

            Frank

            On 3/1/05 2:58 PM, "Candice Basham" <candiceb@...> wrote:

            > I updated to the latest security for OS X but am still getting some
            > popups. Has anyone else had this problem.
            >
            > Has anyone had any luck getting their iPod to work through their car's
            > FM radio? My Belkin didn't do such a great job. I was told at the Apple
            > Store that it works
            > in areas with few stations, which would have been nice to have known
            > before I wasted my $$.
            >
            > Also, when is the next meeting?
            >
            > thanks,
            >
            > Candice
            >

            > This has been a mailing from the SVMUG discussion group.
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mackidockie
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
              I, too, got several pop-ups, but I don't think that coders are using anything new. It's not in their best interest anymore. Besides, I'm not seeing these pop-ups using Camino or OmniWeb. Apple monkeyed with the JavascriptCore in the last update. Maybe...

              - Mackidockie
              --
              On Tuesday, March 1, 2005, Matt Gawlowski at whitemr2@... wrote:

              >Yes, I've been getting popups occasionally too. I think the websites
              >are just getting smarter and finding a way around the blocking.
              >
              >I've gotten my iPod to work through my car stereos using an AirPlay
              >(XtremeMac), but the sound quality isn't great and I find myself
              >frequently having to switch stations as I drive. It's a nice
              >convenient approach, but I still prefer being hardwired in to the
              >stereo's auxiliary input port where possible. If anyone wants to try
              >out the AirPlay, let me know and I'll bring it to the next meeting.
              >

              >-Matt G.
              >
              >ps - next meeting is 3/21 (3rd Monday of every month)
              >
              >On Mar 1, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Candice Basham wrote:
              >
              >> I updated to the latest security for OS X  but am still getting some
              >> popups. Has anyone else had this problem.
              >>
              >> Has anyone had any luck getting their iPod to work through their car's
              >> FM radio? My Belkin didn't do such a great job. I was told at the
              >> Apple
              >> Store that it works
              >> in areas with few stations, which would have been nice to have known
              >> before I wasted my $$.
              >>
              >> Also, when is the next meeting?
              >>
              >> thanks,
              >>
              >> Candice
            • runner111
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005

                what about posting question to apple ipod discussions?
                I, too, got several pop-ups, but I don't think that coders are using anything new. It's not in their best interest anymore. Besides, I'm not seeing these pop-ups using Camino or OmniWeb. Apple monkeyed with the JavascriptCore in the last update. Maybe...

                - Mackidockie
                --
                On Tuesday, March 1, 2005, Matt Gawlowski at whitemr2@... wrote:

                >Yes, I've been getting popups occasionally too.  I think the websites
                >are just getting smarter and finding a way around the blocking.
                >
                >I've gotten my iPod to work through my car stereos using an AirPlay
                >(XtremeMac), but the sound quality isn't great and I find myself
                >frequently having to switch stations as I drive.  It's a nice
                >convenient approach, but I still prefer being hardwired in to the
                >stereo's auxiliary input port where possible.  If anyone wants to try
                >out the AirPlay, let me know and I'll bring it to the next meeting.
                >

                >-Matt G.
                >
                >ps - next meeting is 3/21 (3rd Monday of every month)
                >
                >On Mar 1, 2005, at 2:58 PM, Candice Basham wrote:
                >
                >> I updated to the latest security for OS X  but am still getting some
                >>  popups. Has anyone else had this problem.
                >>
                >>  Has anyone had any luck getting their iPod to work through their car's
                >>  FM radio? My Belkin didn't do such a great job. I was told at the
                >> Apple
                >>  Store that it works
                >>  in areas with few stations, which would have been nice to have known
                >>  before I wasted my $$.
                >>
                >>  Also, when is the next meeting?
                >>
                >>  thanks,
                >>
                >>  Candice

                This has been a mailing from the SVMUG discussion group.

              • Dan R
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2005
                  If one has an aftermarket tuner or amp check for an auxilary input
                  jack. this would be a 1/8 inch stereo jack maybe on the face of a
                  tuner. They're not as popular as they used to be, but I've found some
                  while window shopping for stereos. My car has a manually telescopic
                  antenna on the driver's side so I extend or retract it when I want to
                  here more or fewer stations. Check for this feature on your car. For
                  the avid do-it-yourselfer there's the dash mounted toggle switch to
                  disconnect the antenna ( or is that overkill?)