Macs vs. Dells

  • Candice Basham
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2005
      When I had to switch to Windows for business purposes, I bought a Dell
      laptop, which was very expensive (much more so than the PowerBook 1700
      I bought at around the same time), and it didn't have the ability to
      attack a keyboard, mouse, and external monitor simultaneously, as the
      equivalent PowerBooks did. Because of this, I had to buy a tower PC
      and also went with a Dell. What I discovered was that the Dell machines
      have very limited memory capacity. My Dell Latitude was maxed out at 40
      Mb (which I ordered initially). Soon Windows 95 was replaced by
      Windows 98, which required 64 Mb of RAM. My $4000 laptop was slower
      than molasses. When I inquired if there was any way that I could
      upgrade the memory (which I always have done with my Macs), I found out
      that I couldn't and that I had voided my service agreement by upgrading
      to Windows 98.

      The awful tech support that I got from Dell when my second tower
      arrived with memory problems (the tech support people in India appeared
      not to have the manual (and couldn't get the idea that the LEDs on the
      back of the machine diagnosed the problem as defined on page x of the
      manual), or even access to the machine (high end) and were really
      cocky about my reseating the memory multiple times after 9 P.M. when
      they came to work until I told them that I had a better idea, I'd call
      American Express and cancel the order. I hesitate to buy another Dell
      and hope that Apple retakes the marketplace so I never have to have
      another PC. I've heard that corporate America is intrigued by OS X.

      BTW, I find that 512 Mb is all that I need on my PowerBook G4, but at
      least I have room to grow!

      -Candice