Fw: [svg-developers] Re: microsoft & macromedia .. ignoring svg ..

  • Kastellanos Nikos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2000
      > Interesting...
      >
      > Off the top of your heads, what can be done with svg that can't so far
      with
      > flash? IIRC the flash spec is now "open" (as in beer), and there is work
      > underway to write open source or alternative players.
      >
      > http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/community/
      >
      > Perhaps we could put together a faq for SVG advocacy. Points: Free,
      standards
      > compliant... But what are the technical advantages?
      > Ale

      -Generating pictures dynamically.
      For example charts to show the last month of a stock market item,
      or map of a city that shows only requested places like only fast foods and
      cinemas.
      Generator can do stuff like that, but it's not free and i prefer to
      generate SVG code direclty from ASP/PHP3/SERVLET/WHATEVER than letting
      generator making flash files.

      -It's scriptable.
      We can hide/view 'layers' of the picture, or animate several parts of it,
      interact with the user, using
      javascript. Writing scripts within flash is just not fun.

      -It's cool!